Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Morgan hesitates before locking the door

Discussion in 'Episode 604 - Here's Not Here' started by QuantumCurt, Nov 7, 2015.

1. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I just finished watching Here's Not Here for the second time, and I noticed some symbolism that I didn't catch the first time. When Morgan first finds himself at Eastman's cabin, Eastman puts Morgan in the cell, and later informs him that the door was never locked. This essentially implies that the only thing keeping Morgan in the cell was himself, and his own knowledge that he needed to be there. This indicated that Morgan did have remorse for the way he'd been acting, and even if he wasn't consciously aware of it at the time, he knew that he could get through his issues.

At the end of the episode after Morgan is done telling the Alpha Wolf his story, he exits the building, but pauses before locking it. He looks at the key, and then at the door...and then he locks it. He could see through the Wolf and realized that the Wolf had no remorse for his actions, and had no desire to 'get better.' Just like Crighton Dallas Wilton, the Alpha Wolf is also a truly evil person. Eastman knew that Morgan wasn't a truly evil person, which is why the cell remained unlocked. Morgan realizes that since the Alpha Wolf is indeed a truly evil person, he makes the right to decision to not give him the benefit of the doubt, and locks the door.

Could this hesitation, followed by a decision to lock the door, be an indication that Morgan is starting to realize that his philosophy can't really work in this world? Or perhaps at the least that his philosophy has to have limits? I think this is some important symbolism. They wanted us to see Morgan hesitating, and then deciding to lock the door. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Morgan did not know the gate was not locked by Eastman until Eastman told him. Before that, he did not bother to check the lock but rather, he went for the window bars with a zipper. He just did not trust Eastman as it is shown that he tried to kill him after he got out.

As for Eastman, I do not think his not locking the gate is because he could tell that Morgan is not truly evil. For one, there is no way that he could make that conclusion in such a brief encounter. I think the reason is that he knows Morgan would not trust him and so Morgan would make the assumption that the gate is locked. This makes more sense to me.

The show writers said ''can people be trusted?'' is an issue in this episode.

It is almost the same for Morgan. I do not think Morgan can tell for sure that the Wolf is truly evil and could not be changed a bit. Morgan is definitely not a trained and experienced psychiatrist and so he could not tell the character of this guy within seconds. The wolf's response to his storytelling is certainly not very good. (Just imagine, even if the wolf showed a very positive response, would it be a total surprise that a person would turn around so quickly?) So, Morgan locked it to play it safe. This indicates that Morgan is not naive enough that his storytelling could change the wolf (or any person) around in such a short time.

#2 Blueman, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Those are very good points, thanks for your response. To clarify, what I meant when I said that the only thing that was keeping Morgan in the cell was himself and his own buried remorse, is that he had obviously never even attempted to open the door. I think most people would at least give the door a jiggle if they were locked in a cell against their will. It would be an almost involuntary action. Had he done so, he would have discovered that the door was unlocked. The fact that he didn't suggests that he never even tried to get out.

The fact that he started prying the board off of the window seems to counter this point a bit, but I'm not sure that it entirely does. Honestly, I think this just plays into the symbolism. Walking out of the cell through the door would imply that he'd done something to deserve getting out of the cell, which he did not feel that he deserved. Escaping through the window was his way of simply escaping from his dawning realization that he needed to come to his senses.

Morgan does try to kill Eastman upon leaving the cell, but I think this plays into the same idea. Morgan didn't want Eastman to let him out. He didn't trust the fact that Eastman DID trust him. He resented the fact that Eastman could see who he really was, because he still wasn't out of that dark place. After Eastman beats him into submission, Morgan willingly goes back into the cell and shuts the door because he knows that he's not ready to leave the cell yet.

#3 QuantumCurt, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

isnt all of this opening and closing symbolism awesome? To top it off, we have Rick yelling for someone to open the gate at the end.

No doubt, as it was mentioned by Eastman, that Morgan has PTSD (who wouldn't by this point in the ZA?). Morgan has survivor guilt, to top it all off. He was reluctant to kill zombified Jenny- he does, only after his only living family member is killed by her. Then, it's too late.

It brings back the scene in 401, when Rick relays his run in with Clara, wondering if he'd get to the point of not coming back- if something were to happen to Carl or Judith. He's watched several people die under his leadership, plus the demons he has of not achieving peace with his wife before her death, his son having to put down his own mother etc.
    [​IMG]

The survivor guilt has Morgan (more so, of course b/c he's on his own) and Rick going from one extreme to the other. Morgan deals with it by wiping out every walker and living people, he comes across. Rick tries to put a bubble around his son, in order to protect him- but that choice could kill Carl, by not being able to defend himself or others...pretending that everything is okie-dokie at the prison.

5. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Yes. Morgan is imprisoned by his past. He could not get away from his history.

I think the symbolism for Morgan walking out of the jail gate = accepting his past and finally come to peace, while Morgan climbing out/escaping via the window = continuing to deny his past.

Fortunately, he chose to go out of the jail (his past) by the gate.
    Of course, this rehab is a process and takes a long period of time. It just cannot be like flipping a light switch and everything changes.

We can see that even though Morgan had walked out of the jail, there are moments that he lapsed back. For instance, when he saw the approaching walker (ie the young man he strangled to death), he froze. That was a momentary relapse. (Oddly, the 'recap' given in this site says it was Morgan's flimsy Aikido skill). Another momentary relapse was when the Alpha wolf said he was going to kill everyone in the community, including children, just like Eastman's children, Morgan stepped forward a little, acting as if to strike him with the staff.

6. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I sort of cringed when he did that (the wolf). Considering you and your friends have just gotten your ass kicked for a 2nd time by a guy who ties one hand behind his back, you might not want to tip off the zen master with your evil intentions.

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Morgan was trying to escape through the window. I took it not that Morgan felt he needed to be there, but rather that he wanted to be free [from himself] but didn't know how to do it. He was going about it the hard way, and Eastman had to show them there was an easier route, all along.

8. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

The symbolism is indeed quite awesome. Doors have always been a very cool metaphorical, or literal plot device. Doors and what a door symbolizes was a central plot device in one of my favorite epics ever, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The phrase "I open at the close" in reference to the snitch that Harry Potter had to find a way to open is another good one. And there are many more.

I think that's a very good assessment of it. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective, and it makes a lot more sense than the way I was viewing it.

9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

P.S. I don't think Morgan could have made so much progress with just a zipper tool in such a short time. Probably Wilton had been working on the window exit, too.

10. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Eastman later in the episode said he had thrown the key in the river some time ago, didn't he? I took it to mean he wasn't going to lock anyone in, and it had nothing to do with Morgan per se. I did think it was a neat thing about Morgan's psyche at the time that he didn't even try the door. I'd think most people on waking up in a prison would try shaking the door (once the jailer was out of sight).