Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Morgan questioning his world view

Discussion in 'Episode 702 - The Well' started by ShaneFan, Oct 30, 2016.

1. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch this? When he was eating dinner with the guy (I forget his name). The guy had found Morgan's book, and questioned how it's about not killing. And then Morgan made it clear that he's trying to find his way, that he's fumbling...this was great character development for Morgan. He went from to helping Rick, to wanting to "clear" everything, to being taught that "all life is precious" and believing that you could come back. But now he's questioning if this worldview is realistic, if it's workable...if he can somehow mold it and create his own path after all he's been through. This was great! Thoughts?

2. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

I think going to the outlandishness of the Kingdom and the lifestyle of its citizens directly after killing one of the Saviours while being a savior to Carol is causing a huge conflict within him as well.

Witnessing a full range of different people with different respect for life would be conflicting to most I would think.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like Morgan's development and path so far. He's explored both extreme ends of things, and he'll probably end up in the middle. No better way to get to the middle.

4. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

He told Benjamin that people can change their minds. I'm glad he's rethinking his position on things. For awhile there, I was disappointed with his all life is precious BS, but I'm beginning to respect him again.

5. BlackLightning

There's nothing wrong with Morgan's belief that all life is precious. It's true; all life is precious.

But now that Morgan is around people who live life to the fullest, do whatever ugly/grisly thing it is that they have to do and then go back to their celebration of life, he's learning that there is a balance.

All of this self-doubt and fumbling that Morgan is doing right now is good...for the moment.

6. ShaneFan

@WillyJakkz - That was well put about Morgan "killing a Savior while being a savior" to Carol." I agree with you that it shook him up. It could be conflicting to meet so many people with so many views, and at the same time, one can take a piece of what others believe, and decide to hold onto certain things and discard the rest. It's like being on here and I see other people with various views or theories...and what I agree with, I add to my thinking. What I disagree with...I may discard or ask myself why I disagree. It's a great way for Morgan to grow.

@Neuropyramidal - I agree. Sometimes the best way to get to your gray area is to experience both extremes in black and white. I've had that life experience before -- of thinking a certain way of either extreme and then found my middle ground.

@purriwinkle - That was his name - Benjamin. Thanks! Yes, when he said that people can change their minds--that's what clued me in that he was rethinking his position. I thought it was a great moment for Morgan.

@BlackLightning - Right, Morgan is learning there's a balance to life. I don't think his view that "all life is precious" is bad per se, but I do think it can be costly. For example...if he thought the Savior's life was precious (the one who was shooting at Carol in the Season 6 finale)--would he have spared the Savior's life--and risk losing Carol? It can be good for Morgan to sort through and fumble through what he believes. Hopefully in time, he will have a more solid view on where he stands.

#6 ShaneFan, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Morgan has swung between the extremes since the apocalypse started. I'm glad to see his development this season. I really liked his line about how everyone needed to find their own way. So it's not just about him now too, he realizes that no matter what his beliefs are he can't just force them on other people either.

8. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

The thing is that when all of these philosophies about life and death were conceived those who were alive were alive and now those who were dead are also alive.
    This sort of skews everything regarding what is life and which is precious doesn't it?

Also now that Morgan is tasked with molding a young life he has to really take stock of himself and see if his new,old ways are still valid.

I really like the metamorphosis of his character and it only seems natural that he would not be too sure anymore about a lot of things.

9. ShaneFan

Good point! He has swung from extremes since the beginning. I loved that line too. He found out what works for him--but it doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Nor can you just impose it on others.

10. ShaneFan

That was really well said. Yes, I would imagine all these changes would skew how Morgan things, or cause him to question everything. Especially when you are influencing a younger person, who is looking up to you...that's quite the weight to carry one's shoulders.

I like it too--he's very interesting character and I love to see how many twists and turns he's been through so far. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the season shows Morgan--especially after what he witnessed with Carol at Season 6 finale, and now with Ezekiel in this episode.

11. batongal

batongal Active Member

This is what stood out to me and I'm glad to see this development as I was caring less and less about Morgan. He realizes his constant barrage of Carol regarding 'all life is precious' really did a number on her psyche, practically got her killed and abandoned her family. I feel he regrets that and feels responsible for her now.

12. Znuts

Znuts Member

My thoughts are that Morgan is a shell of what his character used to be in the beginning and now I just want him to die, so we can move on from his character and give someone else more screen time.

13. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Once Carol and Morgan started doing their little dance with each other last season, I had a feeling this is where we were headed. Each is going to balance the other out and they are both going to meet in the middle and be a formidable team. I hope.

14. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Cool you caught the wordplay lol.

Yeah I agree in that his mind is processing all of what he has seen from his all life is precious epiphany to getting to Alexandria and the first thing he witnesses is his old friend Rick killing a man. Then hearing about the ones who he'd never met but surely heard about who the group had lost, then witnessing the Wolves then the walker onslaught seeing the lone Wolf captor he kept going onto save Denise (whom he fought Carol nearly to the death over the morality of it) to then hearing about Denise being murdered by Savior Dwight, then knowing Rick and the group were going on a "kill mission", to then eventually murdering the Savior that was torturing Carol then wind up in a community that pretty much lives a gleeful life then seeing the underlying reason why they live that way has got to be so emotionally and visually abstract that all he can do is reconsider his position.

Even if it is only on the surface as he may very well still be set in his ways.

I also kind of took his actions as him considering staying at the Kingdom and not returning to Alexandria which was my initial take.

15. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I think Morgan has been one of the most interesting characters ever on the show. He's had an incredibly dynamic role to play, and I think he's done an excellent job of it. A lot of people started hating his character last season with his "all life is precious" stuff, but personally I thought it was great. His bottle episode last season was one of the best of the season, and one of the best ever in the series, in my opinion. I think the Kingdom is basically what he needs right now. He's gone from mercilessly killing everything in his path to the other extreme on the spectrum where he believes 'all life is precious' and that nothing should ever be killed. I think he's been coming around to the realities of this position on his own terms in more recent episodes, but the Kingdom in particular I think is a living example of this 'happy medium' that his character is working toward. You can believe that all life is precious while still doing what needs to be done and not compromising your life or the lives of those around you.

16. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

THIS. We are in a really small boat....but it's the same boat. :)

17. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

I don't think that Negan follows "The Art of Peace". I am actually quite familiar with the author of that book and he was quite fierce when he was young. It was when he was much older that he started to become peaceful. Therefore, Morgan might be trying to understand that they are going to have to kill some Saviors to be at peace.

18. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

I think Morgan and Carol are going to switch philosophies. My guess is the catalyst for Morgan's change will be Ben's death and Carol's will be a result of Ezekiel.

19. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

After Morgan has had to hangout with a bunch of pansies like himself, he now feels like killing. Sharpen the stick Morgan!

20. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I think both Morgan and Carol are going to have their conflicting philosophies balanced out by Ezekiels: Embrace the contradiction.
    I hope so anyway, Carol and Morgan are both great characters but the whole inner turmoil schtick needs to move on. It's been depicted and addressed enough that we get it, so let's see the evolution from that.