Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Morgan's "Origin Story"--Mentioned on Talking Dead

Discussion in 'Episode 516 - Conquer' started by jwcoombs, Mar 30, 2015.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

So, on Talking Dead last night Lennie James was repeatedly asked about this seemingly new "incarnation" of Morgan. He was asked about Morgan's current mental state and how it has changed/differs from his state of mind in "Clear", he was asked what it was that brought about the change, why he left King County, how he went from considering himself "weak" to becoming one of the most formidable combatants we've seen so far, how he learned how to fight hand-to-hand and wield a staff with such masterful proficiency, and why he has decided to specifically seek Rick out?

In response to the questions Lennie offered a cavalcade of various, specific answers(such as the fact that Rick is the only person in the world that he knows anymore; and who knows him in return and that's something he yearns for. That connection). But, he also offered one general answer for these questions as well that remained the same. It's apparent just how fundamentally different this "incarnation" or Morgan is from the past two "incarnations" we've seen. In response to that, Lennie remarked that, in fact, something very profound has happened to Morgan since the last time we saw him in "Clear". Some intense and epic event, or test of strength, or something along those lines that caused this monumental change to erupt inside of him. Lennie refers to is as an "origin story" of sorts which explains how Morgan came to be this wise, benevolent, yet fiercely formidable survivor and road warrior. Something happened, something that resulted in him seeing the world, and life through a completely different set of eyes--abandoning his overwhelming guilt and weakness and discovering a strength unlike any he's ever known.

Whatever happened must have been an life-altering experience; something you walk away from changed whether you like it or not. It had to have been something monumental as is has completely changed Morgan fundamentally; as if he's evolved. Because it was able to change him from a guilt, ashamed, hopeless, distraught and crazed recluse obsessed with eradicating the undead--a man who had failed to protect his son, failed to have mercy for his wife, and had taken several innocent lives for nothing more than the shoes on their feet. Whatever happened; whatever it was...it shook him to his core.

Any thoughts on what could have happened to Morgan out there in the months since we last saw him in "Clear"?

Also, one other thing I wanted to add that is important in providing insight into the mind of this new Morgan. Lennie mentioned on Talking Dead; that after Morgan disarmed, subdued and bound the Wolves, he put them in the car and honked the horn. Now, most folks believed this to be a malicious action; attempting to attract walkers to feed on the bound and vulnerable Wolves. Free lunch, so to speak. But; Lennie confirmed that it was in fact an act of righteousness and not malice. If he wanted them dead; he wouldn't have wasted the time binding their hands and feet. Like Morgan said, all life is precious. Lennie explains that Morgan honked the horn and waited; he did this to make sure that the area was relatively safe enough to leave the two unconscious Wolves there. He wanted to make sure they would have a fair chance, even though they weren't going to give him one. What a guy,Morgan, what a guy.

2. hcopenhagenh

hcopenhagenh Active Member

I think it would be pretty awesome if they had an entire episode on this transformation. Something as a flashback.

3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Wish I could crop your post to the part where you said that Morgan had some sort of revelation.
    That seemed to be the theme last night.
    Rick had one at the end, we here he said that he was going to kill people, and decided against it, because he saw his error on why that wouldn't work.
    And Gabriel finally excepted what he did and it was time to move on. Thanks to Maggie.

#3 Sharpie61, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. campbellj21

campbellj21 Member

As much as I dislike bottle episodes, I could make an exception for Morgan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I was just about to say the same thing with all the shitty ones they did Morgan better get his own lol

6. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

He probably stumbled across some magic mushrooms. That's what the life changing experience was:zombies_lol:

7. R.V Walker

R.V Walker Member

I think someone he try to hurt end up saving his life teaching him things .Now he sees himself in these killers and how they stil have potential to change

8. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

Morgans new lame morals worry me....they always kill off moral compasses on the show.... I want him to stick around for a long time

9. NoelCanSurvive

But as mentioned on The Talking Dead, he has this huge fan base from the 2 episodes he was featured in (not his "cameos"). Is he a "if he dies, we riot"-type of character? That remains to be seen. Hopefully, he sticks around. I believe the "mission" that he was on was to find Rick in DC but I do think he'll end up staying at ASZ even if the main group leaves. Just my opinion.

10. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

That was a magnificent tease he threw out there. I have no idea what it could be but I'm really looking forward to finding out! So much mystery surrounds Morgan. He hinted that another life altering even was still in store for him. More teasing. So delicious.

11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Well Glenn has survived for five season! And Morgan is probably the morale compass that can fight the best out of all of them! I am just curious what he did with that armoury of his.

12. TheWitchesTit

TheWitchesTit Member

living in england i appreciate posts like this as we have no access to talking dead! interesting what lennie has said, we will clearly be getting some insight into morgan's journey since clear.. he has evolved and changed so much since we last saw him. his mindset and attitude are completely different, and as viewers we need to see at least a part of that to understand and appreciate where he is now.

my guess is he has trained himself to become a skilled fighter who is able to defend himself without a gun. mild comic spoiler

morgan doesn't want to kill but he can clearly still survive on his own. i think he has to have been threatened by people before to be so calm and rational when faced with the two wolves, and what he couldn't have known was an unloaded gun. so i would imagine that is a part of what he's been through. this could have been whilst out on the road or even at his walker trap kingdom/armoury in clear. maybe thats a part of why he had to leave, evil bastards or petty thugs turned up and wanted all his weapons? i would also imgine duane's death and it's effect on morgan is a part of his character development as well.

thinking about his place in our story now, maybe he has arrived with our group to serve as a juxtaposition to rick. maybe he too has seen terrible things, had his life threatened by others, yet is able to deal with it without killing, and continuing to believe that life is precious and should be saved. i.e the moral compass. on the other hand perhaps he will be forced to realise, along with others, that our group/rick is right and that if you don't eliminate a threat you are likely to end up regretting it. considering we know the two wolves are still alive and obviously part of a larger group, i can see this too being the route they go..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

You know that the Talking dead premiered right after the show on Fox don't you. Seems a bit strange to premier the last episode of the season. Hopefully they will make it a regular thing.

I am really worried about Morgan, he the new black male lead actor and they are going to give him a back story. That really only has one ending.

14. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

Looking back at some Morgan scenes it looks like he has a zombie head tattooed on his shoulder. It actually looks alot like his zombie wife. Does the actor just actually have that tattoo in real life? If so what a coincidence. If it was done for the show then what's it mean? That he is the walking dead himself? Or that he is someone specially prepared for the ZA?

Attached Files:

15. Charmander

Charmander Member

The article I read said that it was a one-off. :( I hope the ratings were good enough for them to consider repeating it next season though. I also love how in this article the person in the comments was so convinced that Negan would appear:

16. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

[MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION] This is all very interesting. I guess we have 6 months to ponder this- or longer, considering how many times Morgan appears in S6.

I'm curious to see how Morgan's talismans play into his experience (if they're even related) or if they're just reminders of his past life.

17. Hope the Savior

Morgan was very calm when the two Wolves threatened him, so I too assumed this encounter was not his first rodeo. I think he was threatened sometime after the events in “Clear.”

Michonne, Rick, and Carl were able to get the drop on Morgan, despite how impressively fortified his kingdom was. I presume that after that encounter Morgan not only improved his defenses, to further lessen the likelihood of people being able to enter, but also adjusted his strategy and tactics, to ensure that no one else could succeed in taking him out, or worse, if they managed to enter. Consequently, he grew even warier of people, and perhaps in becoming even more suspicious of the living, he killed a few people, who were threatening him, then later discovered the impact of those strangers’ deaths.

For example, two men enter Morgan’s kingdom despite its ominous defenses and Morgan’s warnings. Eventually, Morgan kills them, and while burying their bodies, he notices something on their persons. While scouting shortly thereafter, he comes across a recently deceased family and notices items on the children’s bodies that complement the items on the men. From the camp site’s devastation, Morgan parses the family was part of a larger group that inevitably left without the family who refused to leave without the father and the uncle. Upon this realization, Morgan thinks about how he could have left Carl an orphan and subsequently blames himself for this family’s death.

Obviously, whatever Gimple and company write will be way better than this, but I think the event will be something that forced Morgan to reflect on how close he and the only other person he really knows in this world came to killing one another and the impact those deaths would have had on others.

You, sir, gave me a good chuckle.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

I'm guessing/hoping that we see glimpses of his path since leaving his hometown. Rick tells him in Clear that he's at a prison, so I'm sure he went there first. And just like they showed Carol returning to the prison after it was destroyed (in Consumed), they'll probably show Morgan looking at the destroyed prison. From there, not knowing where to go next, he followed the train tracks to Terminus just like Rick's group did. Then he saw Terminus destroyed, and Rick "No Sanctuary" sign. From there, it looks like he followed the markings on the trees (left by the Termites?) which led him to Gabriel's church and the discovery of the map, leading him on his way to D.C. Of course, we already saw scenes of him at the No Sanctuary sign and at the church. Would you guess that his "epiphany" happened before those scenes, or on his way to D.C.?

I agree, I would love a whole episode dedicated to his backstory. If you watch the bonus scene from TTD, Lennie James talks about how Gimple teases him with "I know backstory that you don't" stuff. So it sounds like Gimple and team know Morgan's backstory and fleshed it all out already.

19. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Remember at the school when Morgan saw the walker and quietly shooshed it before putting a knife throught it's skull? That seems to be a much different approach than he had in Clear. I think something happened between the time we left him in Clear and he decided to set out in search of Rick...his demeanor seemed different the first time we see him reappear out on the road. Obviously I could be way off, but that's my take so far.
    Like you, I'm really hoping we get a Morgan episode next season!

20. Bullseye

Bullseye Member

everywhere Rick has been has been left destroyed, the prison, terminus, the church lol I hope we get a full episode of Morgan's life changing journey and that it rubs of on Rick a little. Be nice to see him chill for a bit!