Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Negan Is A Necessary Evil

Discussion in 'Episode 815 - Worth' started by WillyJakkz, Apr 9, 2018.

1. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Said it before, hate him or love him (there's no in between) Negan is a necessary evil in "his world". Whatever events led him to the Sanctuary, a place that was clearly tyrannical (probably something straight out a Mad Max movie) and likely run by criminals of the worst kind I'm sure was a pretty savage community that was rapidly growing without true rulership. Negan himself said it was chaotic (paraphrasing) and likely very unsafe for all that were forced to be there until Negan took it over. Call it what you will but he did in fact bring structure and has to be seen and perceived a certain way by the community in order to keep "order".
    He seems like he does what he does not because he wants to but because he HAS to due to the type of people that are in that community. They fear him and that fear leads to them following him. He provides for them (by strong arming other communities) so they follow him.
    You can't be all "We Are The World" in that type of world...it's been proven to him AND Rick's group...just look at the factions they've come across (Governor, Terminus, Hospital Group, the Wolves, the Claimers, etc). Rick has had to come to some brutal resolutions himself and in fact told Deanna (?) when they first arrived at the ASZ that they were living in a fantasy world because they were ignorant of how the world changed around them.
    They have ALL killed people, right or wrong. Negan leads the way he does because of the people that are around him, if he isn't there it's no telling how violent they would be...just look at Simon's demeanor and how quick the Sanctuary was to follow him.
    Negan was needed. You know exactly what you get with him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I would love a twist where Negans Saviours and the others would coexist. Negan keeps doing his but lets the others be cause they are just to much ruckus. Negan and Ricks coalition trades...but do their own ways beside that. Rick adds more communities, Negan "conquers" or vassalize. And they both cooperate against bigger threats.

But it wont happen.

I guess Negan is necessary but Ricks more harsh side is also bit like Negan, if not bit more sporadic and chaotic but it puts an end to threats.

3. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing, but I feel Negan does what he does because of who he is and the experiences that have defined him and how he chose to react to those experiences.

4. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I really agree that the sanctuary seems like they would be all about killing if Negan wasn’t there. Especially if Simon was in charge.

But I disagree that anything is right about the way Negan has handled the other communities he’s come across. We know hilltop didn’t have fighters. He could’ve easily had provided protection in exchange for food without forced labor.
    The kingdom was a strong community and would’ve been great to trade with but instead u continue to force them to provide and with zero tolerance to the point if they miss one day out of dozens you kill someone. You’re going to leave them no choice but to fight back or flee and then u have nothing.

So I agree that Negan bought order to the sanctuary and made them less of savages but I don’t think he is necessary. I think he’s a person good at getting ppl to follow him but he is leading them down the wrong path

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Right. The argument could be made that Negan's internal rule of the Sanctuary was a necessarily evil, but that doesn't extend to his actions with all other communities they come into contact with, which is where he does the most damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Yeah but think about this...how would it look to the Saviours if Negan is tyrannical with them in the Sanctuary and then "bargaining" with a condescending fool like Gregory just to have Greg smart ass his way throughout the conversation. Yeah no that wouldn't be a good look at all, they'd overthrow his ass before he could ask the community "Who are you?" to which Simon would reply, "We are Simon!" Lol

Again Negan HAS to set a tone in order to keep the convicts in line as well as the new communities he comes across. He has just never faced someone as stubborn as Rick Grimes as well as being as powerful as himself. Rick is the antithesis of Negan yet they are so alike.

Rick couldn't rule the Sanctuary because it would change him into being something he only needs to be in certain instances, which is a stone cold killer but not in totality whereas Negan HAS to be just that in totality due to the amount of chaos that would ensue if he didn't.

Can you even imagine Simon and Gabriel escaping from walkers in a trailer during Rick's attack, having a moment, make their way back into the Sanctuary and that lady proclaiming, "Thank God, thank God for you Simon." Hell no...

7. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

Negan isn't some victim of circumstance, forced to be what he is in order to make the trains run on time.

He's the guy who saw the end of the world not as a tragic occurrence but as a golden opportunity to do whatever he wanted to without any real fear of repercussions.

He takes women as his "wives"...that's rape folks, not some kind of benevolent act toward the common good.

His first action upon meeting new people is to kill one of them and tell them they are now his slaves because he can't be bothered to be self-sufficient. He's a leech too.

No, he isn't a necessary evil, he's just an evil.

Yeah, Rick has killed, he's made some mistakes, but he's never been just out to murder and destroy for his own amusement. That's who Negan, a force for destruction and for no reason other than his own amusement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Beautifully said. He's only where he is cause he's smarter and bolder than the rest of the criminals that comprise the hierarchy of the Saviors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

I don't think he is a victim of circumstance, he is who he is. Despite the violence he has morals and principles and clearly guys more like Simon were and are still prevalent in the Sanctuary meaning guys who will kill at will etc. Not only that but people continually bring up how he has taken many wives but never bring up the amount of rape and women being beaten that had probably been unbelievably high. Can you imagine the amount of atrocities that would be committed by a guy like Simon in control?

I don't honestly think Negan has killed for his "own" amusement. He takes pleasure in his brutality and the message he relays through that message but not for his amusement. Every single person I have seen him kill, yes Abraham and Glenn included as well as the original Sanctuary Doctor he did was a reaction to an action he felt was a slight against him.

Abraham was Rick's right hand man who had led an assault on the outpost, Glenn was killed because Darryl did not listen to his instructions, the original doc was killed because he was framed for allowing his favorite stolen wife Sherry to leave. He killed Simon for trying to usurp his authority. He killed Spenser for enticing him to try to kill Rick while Rick was scrounging to fulfill Negan's orders to protect the ASZ. Let's take a look at the people he could've easily killed but didn't... He didn't kill Sasha, he didn't kill Darryl, he didn't kill Eugene, he didn't kill Carl. He easily could've in each instance because they all were in his "possession".

He isn't a victim but he also isn't a ravenous murderer.

10. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I think it is a struggle to say Negan takes pleasure in killing but doesn't do it for his amusement. I understand the distinctions you draw, but you are cutting him too much slack, IMO. Negan wants to subjugate both his own people and other communities. That's why he brutally murders.

While it is true that Negan kills people as "a reaction to an action he felt was a slight against him," he could take other actions. Spencer, for example, could have just been punched or verbally humiliated. Every sociopath who goes around killing people can give a reason--or a pretext. The horror of Negan for me is not just that he doesn't always need to kill people, it's that he sets up situations where he can be sadistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

Actually, I don't know what you mean by "ravenous", but he is a murderer and clearly enjoys watching and committing murders.

He obviously enjoys torture as well and prefers people to be enslaved (yes, that is what he is doing to both the "workers" and the other communities he terrorizes to keep him fed).

He'a rapist too. There is no other word for what he does to his "wives". None of them are there willingly, but they know that leaving or even refusing his overtures will mean their deaths.

He chooses not to kill at times in order to use the people he doesn't kill against those who care for them. It is not a kindness or a mercy to not kill someone in order to use them as a pawn against those who care for them.

He is not a heroic guy. He's a psychopath.

He doesn't have morals or principles; he knows how to use the morals and principles of others as a weapon against them. He also recognizes similar traits in others. Note: his "lieutenants" are all willing and eager to kill other living humans.

A mad dog is put down for the safety of all. Negan is a mad dog.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

LOL. So according to this logic, its a necessary evil to terrorize [including the murder of innocent people] any community you come across, just to keep your own men in line. Kind of like "sorry but we're all pigs who can't control ourselves, so we need to terrorize to keep us happy". Good luck with that. It was called the dark ages.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

@ Bettie, to use your term it could be said that Rick is a "mad dog" that needs to be put down as well.

Rick literally went to those outposts and killed those people in their sleep simply because Gregory told him they were dangerous and they were oppressing the Hilltop community. I guess killing them in their sleep made it better but also I'll stick to debating Negan.

I've no idea how you feel like the Saviours community can be all "Kum ba yah" hand in hand if the right leader was there. It is blatantly obvious they were murderers etc prior to the ZA...well not all Saviours but many were likely prisoners, inmates, or some other cretin and they banned together and took over each area they came to which was probably civil people just trying to make it.

There is rape etc in prison and in the world with little to no consequence and I'm talking pre-ZA with police force and laws so just imagine the level of this when there is no order. Not saying what Negan does is right, what I'm saying is he brought order to that savage community and yes it is still a savage community.

He is leading a lawless community that he happened across and obviously his rule has brought order as there was a need for it and he has to rule that particular community the way he does.

14. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

Rick generally doesn't torture, he doesn't rape, he doesn't kill for kicks. Yes, he has been brutal when necessary, but he doesn't prey on others when he can deal with them.

He killed the guys at the outpost not only due to what Gregory told him, but what Daryl, Sasha, and Abraham experienced as well. It was very clear from the meeting on the road that these were not people who could be dealt with honestly.

From Hilltop, they learned that Negan's way of saying "hi" to a new settlement is to brutally beat one of the people there to death in front of the rest of the community. While you may think that is a good introduction, I disagree.

You seem to think Negan is some kind of heroic figure. I disagree, strongly.

While "Sanctuary", an ironic name to be sure, since literally everyone there lives in fear of angering the guy in charge and getting burned, tortured, or murdered, may have originally been populated by escapees from prisons or psychopaths drawn together by a mutual love of violence and an unwillingness to learn to live independently rather than extorting food and other necessities from others, they are now simply raiders. They are not a community, they are raiders with slaves, trying to enslave every other community they come across.

Rick is a very different guy. He's made mistakes, but he doesn't beat people to death as a means of saying "hello". He doesn't rape women because he has declared himself to have some divine right to do so. There are a few of the key differences.

Negan is not a hero. He isn't even an anti-hero. He is a psychotic guy who terrorizes others becasue he's too lazy to do the work of forging a life for himself and leading his people to forge one for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Nah.

Negan's just an opportunistic sociopath. He uses his charm and the power of persuasive fear to fool people into thinking they need him to survive, or that he's providing stability, when really he's just taking advantage of other people's need for protection or purpose.

He's the worst kind of person. Nothing necessary about him - that's just what he wants people to think. Hell, he probably believes it himself. But he's all in it for himself, at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

You are right. He has convinced these people that they need him to survive...and it isn't as if the people he has under his control have an option to leave.

Interesting counterpoint to Rick's group, where each of them have learned that they can fight and they can survive. They don't need an ultra violent madman to "protect" them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Your last sentence kinda makes a point but for a "Pro-Negan" (if you will) stance.

How many survivors are out there trying to forge a life for themselves and others? How many are out there are scrounging for food for themselves and loved ones just like everyone else out there? And once said person finds or grows food, medicine, and weapons for themselves and family/ friends, how many times has a stranger whether good or bad come across the same find which then leads to an encounter of survival?

Survival is the keyword because Rick and Daryl found a truck full of food but Jesus made the same claim also which led to a fight over the truck of food. Both were trying to claim the truck for their said people and fortunately the encounter wasn't deadly but now think about the word survival again because how many people thought Shane was messed up for shooting Otis to ensure his survival and Carl's as well but viewed it as Shane doing what he had to do to survive. The Governor led an all out assault on the prison for shelter for his community due to Woodbury being destroyed.

Everyone, Rick included has done things that were necessary for the survival of the group and honestly we have no idea how Negan survived or what he had to do to survive so with the Intel that we have it seems he is doing what he feels he needs to do as the leader of a corrupted community in order for them to survive...the way in which he leads seems to be what has kept the people of The Sanctuary, namely the crazed males from overthrowing him and maybe going back to an even more cruel way of survival.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  18. zombie_basher

zombie_basher Member

It's an interesting argument. Some of you think Negan is just doing what he must with some serious character deficiencies but his heart isn't completely black, while others feel the opposite and that he is pure evil with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

so I say this to address the latter because I agree with the former. How will you react when they (most likely) keep Negan alive in the finale and Rick doesn't kill him and instead the comic is continued to be followed and he is imprisoned? Is that the wrong writing decision? I don't think so, because again, they are just following the comics. That has been the entire point of this show from Day 1 and episode 1, to follow the general tracetory and myriad plot points both big and small while remixing them in various ways and adding in original content and expanding on the source material.

And spoilers, Negan has some big presence and plot points in the comic after All Out War. In fact, with Issue 174, it is revealed and confirmed that he is (mostly) regretful of his actions such as killing Glenn and that he is pretty much rehabilitated. Not perfect by any means, but he said farewell to Lucille and seems to be a positive force moving forward. Essentially he is redeemed in the comic story, so more than likely they will follow this route.

Of course, the problem is actually with the show's writing department I think. They are constantly trying to one up themselves and defy expectations to the point now that I feel they have kind of written themselves into a corner and shot themselves in the foot. Killing off Carl threw a MASSIVE wrench into the works, and besides AMC's cheapness I strongly think (and it seems pretty apparent) they did it to help justify keeping Negan alive. But they caused that problem by making Negan more evil than his comic counterpart all for the sake of shock value and again, expanding things. But there has to be some kind of reason and plan in place for keeping him alive, if they do. It's interesting to think about for sure

• Like Like x 1
  19. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

To be honest, yeah, I do think it's the wrong decision.

I know how the comics go, and

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

I like where you were going with this because I also don't view Negan as having a completely black heart.

He could've easily killed Father Gabriel in the trailer they took cover in but he didn't. Hell he could've easily killed Carl himself on a few occasions, once when the group first encountered him when Rick "still kept giving him that same ol' look" when they returned from their talk, another when Carl snuck into the Sanctuary and killed 8 more of his men (whom he considers a resource), and also at the final assault on ASZ when Carl was in the tower talking to him. He chose to talk to Carl for a reason.

And in conjunction why do you all feel Carl wants Negan to stop his end of the war? And no it's not lazy writing, he felt that even Negan can be redempted...hell he fed him spaghetti.

I'd go as far as saying that some of the people he has killed you can tell by his demeanor in some instances (whether at the time or in conversations afterwards) that he didn't want to do it but he had to do it because of how he leads his community.

If Carl felt Negan was completely evil he would have stated so to his dad that Negan has to die but he didn't because he saw another side of Negan that only few are privy to.