Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

New Insights from watching July 2013 TWD Marathon

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by DarylFTW, Jul 11, 2013.

1. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

This show just amazes me. Yep, I watch every episode during the season and even the rerun during the week. But I'm always surprised and how I am affected when I watch the marathon after the most current season. Suddenly I see little things that are sooo important now. Here's what I noted from this most recent marathon.

The importance of pictures.. Rick new Lori was alive because she had taken the pics. He even looked thru the album with her in their tent. Also, Morgan had a pic of his that he looked at when he was sniper practicing. And Carl (who at the time I thought was over acting) was yelling and angry telling Michonne, "It's the only 1 left!" about the pic in the bar.
    Meryl changed as much as Daryl in the end... Meryl was ready to beat someone to death at the drop of a hat in S1. And he used to say all kinds of nasty things to everyone. By S3 he had toned down. He was upset that Team Prison looked at him like "the devil". And he only called Michonne, "that girl".

Carl went from running, yelling "Dad!" in S1, so happy to have him back. To S3 where he told his Dad what for, dropped the badge on the ground, and walked off. It seems as though Carl is paralleling Rick.

Did you spot anything new after the Marathon? Maybe something you didn't realize before? Feel free to add.

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I would pay millions for one Shane fan to realize leaving Shane alive would not get the effect they think it would. Killing him was pretty much required for his arc and planned from the start. It was not a mistake. It would have been a mistake to leave him alive any longer. Was he just gonna stay a total and completely lost person who endangers the group every ten seconds without them doing something about it?

3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Good writers would realize not every character can just go on forever (which they did and his death was one of the most important and best scenes). He was excellent. His fall was amazing but it also guaranteed his death. He couldn't go on the road. He would kill the group and Rick (which he tried) before he would let that happen. he is obsessed with lori and Carl. he is lucky Rick desperately didn't want him dead or he wouldn't have made it to mid season. It isn't good writing to force a character to stay around far longer than he should to please fanboys.

4. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

They did develop him. A lot. He developed into how he was in the comics just better as he wasn't rushed like kirkman was forced to do then. Popularity=/=a reason to live forever. I pull for villains. doesn't change the fact that they will be taken out. It was said his death being known and his arc was why Bernthal auditioned.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've seen the opposite. I'll drop that because I don't know which is true. it doesn't change the rest. Shane completely ran his course without getting stale. He had a perfect arc. To drag him out would ruin him.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Frank Darabont casts the same actors in almost everything he does...
    Awesome or not his arc was perfect and done. They did not mess up his character by ending him when it needed to happen. Snae was fully explored and self destructive. They created a great failing character and villain by the end of it. Those characters lose appeal if they drag out.

7. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Jon Bernthal is a horrid actor and played the character Shane way over the top. He was truly the only bad actor on the show in my opinion. And the character Shane was a weak man.

8. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think he was excellent in his portrayal of Shane but his ticks really fit Shane. I hate how he does that on all of his other characters.

9. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I could hardly stand his performance personally.

10. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

In his defense you weren't supposed to like Shane.
    Extreme minority in that for sure.

11. RIPRV

RIPRV Well-Known Member

This is all I remember about Shane. Bad actor.
    [video=youtube;FTiO-h5W1Ww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTiO-h5W1Ww[/video]

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

He isn't kidding because you don't agree with him...

13. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

Like what's probably gonna happen to Daryl.

14. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Playin along with what?
    Sadly. It will happen to him soon.

15. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

Ruining of his character or dying?

16. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Shane purpose was fulfilled. He helped develop one of the people the story focuses on. Rick.

[​IMG]

17. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

ruining.
    That is the problem. He isn't being kept to take places. Just to satisfy a very vocal group of idiots. That is why he almost safer than Rick.

18. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

The only place Daryl should be going is into the ground.

19. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

End of season 4 please!

20. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Great but safe for all the wrong reasons. Great characters should die like bad ones. That is important.