Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"No Secrets Between Us"

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Fan Fiction' started by Rapscallion, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Michonne, Abraham and Glenn unlocked the three receiving bay doors and pushed them up. Sunlight filled the warehouse as the dark blue Chrysler 300 LX sped into the lot. The car had barely stopped when the passenger door opened and Spencer leapt out, and ran towards his father's black Porsche 911.

"My car!" Spencer cried, running as if he were in the home stretch of a marathon.

Michonne leaned against the receiving bay's doorway and sighed wearily.

Spencer stopped in front of the Porsche and turned pale at the sight of the cracked windshield and the dented front. "What...what did you do to my car?" he asked in a barely audible voice.

Michonne nodded at the pile of dead walkers, laying on the ground liked discarded toys. "Those walkers almost grabbed Daryl and the others; I had to run them over."

Spencer's fist pounded on the Porsche's dented truck lid. "What the **** did you do to my car, bitch?!" he shouted.

Michonne stood straight and glared at Spencer; Glenn looked at her nervously, and Abraham giggled in amusement. Michonne jumped down from the receiving bay and began walking towards Spencer, her hands balled into fists.

"Michonne..." Glenn called out.

Michonne didn't acknowledge Glenn and continued walking towards Spencer.

"I ain't going to break this up, Mich," Abraham called out, his arms folded across his chest.

Heath got out of the Chrysler, and watched Michonne heading straight for Spencer. "Uh, you guys didn't come back after the gunfire stopped, so I thought we should drive up here and see if everyone was alright," he said politely.

Michonne ignored him and kept walking towards Spencer.

"Look at what you did!" Spencer shouted as he walked towards Michonne. "Do you think I can take it to a garage and have it fixed? It's wrecked! My car is wrecked!"

Michonne pulled her right arm back and swung at Spencer.

POW!

Michonne's fist struck Spencer's face and he was sent reeling back against the Porsche, and then he fell down onto his backside. He shook his head, rubbed his cheek, and looked up at Michonne.

"Don't ever call me a bitch again," Michonne warned coldly.

Spencer lowered his head and nodded. "I'm sorry," he muttered.

"The Wolves' didn't leave us much food, but there's enough to keep us going for a while. Make yourself useful and go get the truck."

Spencer nodded again and stood up. "Yes, ma'am," he said, avoiding eye contact with Michonne as he walked back to Heath and the Chrysler.

"Hey, kid," Abraham asked as he elbowed Glenn. "What was she before this tidal wave of shit hit?"

"Uh...I think she was a lawyer," Glenn answered.

"Never thought I'd like a lawyer," Abraham grinned as he turned around and walked back into the warehouse.

#141 Rapscallion, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rapscallion

Daryl held his Beretta in his hands as he cautiously approached the doors on the opposite side of the warehouse; Morgan was behind him, his staff in his hands.

"Listen up," Daryl said to Morgan as he stopped in front of an office door, "when I open this door, and if some geek like the one in the hallway comes at me with a knife, I'm just goin' to put a bullet right between his eyes. I've heard enough sermons from you today, savvy?"

"Then I hope the room's empty," Morgan answered with a smile.

Daryl put his left hand on the door handle, turned the handle and pulled the door open.

The room was full, but not with Wolves; instead it was full with numerous kinds of weapons, both store bought or handmade: hunting knives, combat knives, pocket knives, carving knives, machetes and meat cleavers lay atop office tables. Axes, pick axes and hatchets leaned against a book case stacked with chainsaws, gasoline tanks, and oil cans. Wooden spears with sharp points were stacked in the corner. Baseball bats—wooden and aluminum—were lined up against the wall, and across from them were compound bows and crossbows.

Daryl grinned, thumbed the safety on his Beretta, and tucked it against the small of his back. "Happy birthday to me," he quipped as he walked over to the dozen various models of crossbows.

Daryl picked up a PSE Fang crossbow and held it in both hands: it was light and it was compact, reminding him of his old Horton Scout HD 125 crossbow. Daryl set the crossbow down barrel first, slid his foot in the stirrup, and pulled back on the string until it clicked behind the latch; then he lifted the crossbow up, pulled an arrow out of the quiver, set it atop the flight groove, and aimed through the scope attached to the sight bridge. After a few moments Daryl grumbled in acceptance, and he clicked the safety on and lowered the crossbow.

Morgan was examining the knives on one of the tables when he noticed that the closet door was partially closed, so he walked over to it and pulled the door open. Suddenly a thin figure wearing a camouflage jacket and a knit cap leapt out screaming and shoved Morgan back against the book shelf. The impact made Morgan drop his staff, and a few oil cans and a chainsaw fell to the floor.

Daryl spun around and saw a youth in a camouflage jacket and a knit cap had Morgan against the bookshelf and pulled a hunting knife from a jacket pocket. The youth tried to stab Morgan in the neck, but the pacifist blocked the blow with his left forearm and was struggling to shove the fanatical youth back.

Daryl thumbed the safety off the PSE Fang and took aim it at the youth, but couldn't get a clear shot; so he thumbed the safety on again, spun the crossbow around, ran forward, and struck the youth's head with the butt of the crossbow. The youth fell to the floor, dropped the knife, and Daryl kicked the weapon away from the youth.

"Move and you're dead, punk!" Daryl shouted as he thumbed the safety off his crossbow and aimed it at the youth.

"Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" The youth pleaded, covering his face with his arms.

Morgan took a cautious step forward. "Easy, Daryl. He's just a kid."

"Shut up, Morgan," Daryl ordered.

"Wait. Daryl? Morgan? Weren't you with the new people Aaron brought to Alexandria?" the youth asked.

Daryl and Morgan looked down at the youth. "Yeah," Daryl answered. "How the hell did you know that?"

The youth lowered his arms, revealing a scared boy with auburn hair. "I'm from Alexandria. I'm a friend of Ron Anderson. My name's Mikey."

TO BE CONTINUED​

#142 Rapscallion, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

"Sorry," Daryl said as he kept watching the road, "guess I was out of control." lol

"Sneaking in to some asshole's residence with a fully automatic rifle used to be an everyday activity for me. You babysit Gandhi, while me and Daryl put the Wolves to sleep."

two of my favorite lines so far--still reading

• Like Like x 1
  4. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Wow good chapter Raps! I thought the meeting between Morgan and the Alpha wolf was interesting. But is she really going to listen to him?

Now I'm interested in this Mikey kid and wonder what his story is and if he can be trusted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rapscallion

Thank you, @LadyGrimes! :D

Yes, the new Alpha Wolf listened to Morgan; she and the remaining Wolves left the warehouse and won't be seen again.

Mikey is the kid playing video games with Ron Anderson in the 5th season episode "Remember." When the Wolves attacked Alexandria in the season 6 episode "JSS", they also took captives; Mikey was one of them and has been a prisoner of the Wolves all this time. :eek:

6. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

@Rapscallion

This chapter was all I was hoping for! I had to delay my reading because of the dumb site server issues. It was a great chapter!

The wolves seem so much more of a threat when you continue on with the arc with the remaining wolves. I really disliked how season 6 handled the wolves. I wanted more and this is what I needed.

Reading this chapter makes me miss Abe so much. I began to shed a tear along with Glenn. You write the characters so well, I couldn't help it. Keep it up!

Spencer is such a coward, so glad Michonne put him in his place. It reminded of 7-04 "Service" I wished Rick broke his jaw then lol.

I'm so pleased you mentioned
    Mikey! I know I talked about it with you and what they done with him. It's a relief to see if he still exist unlike the TV series stopped showing him. Disappointing! ( I know the actor broke his arm or whatever but come on) but come on he isn't shown in the background anymore.

Also from last weeks episode of "Rock In The Road" I've gotten very annoyed with Morgan in the episode but in the chapter I was at the same level with him. Go Daryl!

Overall this was an enjoyable chapter to read. Thanks for letting me know. I can't wait to read more! Because I want to know what happens next.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Rapscallion

Thank you, @TheSlayingTaco1

I'm glad you enjoyed the final appearance of the Wolves. There's only a handful left, but they can no longer threaten Alexandria and have now been chased out of the area.

Abraham continues to be a difficult character for me to write, but somehow he ended up becoming a focal character later in the chapter. I guess that's because Abraham's the type to show little patience for someone like Morgan.

I loved Michonne punching Spencer too. :D Spencer, of course, has not learned his lesson.

I'm glad you're pleased with the return of Mikey. Mikey's going to explain what happened to himself and the other captives in a future chapter. ;)

I originally wanted Daryl and Glenn to discover the Wolves armory, just so Glenn could pick up a baseball bat (again) and foreshadow Lucille, but since Mikey was hiding in there, I knew it wouldn't work, so I replaced Glenn with Morgan. :oops:

#147 Rapscallion, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Rapscallion

Time for another weapons update.

[​IMG]

The crossbow Daryl takes from the Wolves' armory is a PSE Fang, with a black plastic stock.

[​IMG]

I originally wanted to give Daryl a Barnett C5 crossbow, but when I saw the season 7B trailer which has Daryl inspecting a new crossbow, I decided to pick this weapon. The firearms website imfdb.org identified the crossbow as a PSE Fang LT, but the cross outline in the stock identified it as the older model PSE Fang.

I've also given the PSE Fang a scope, which hasn't appeared on Daryl's crossbow's since the Horton Scout HD 125.

#148 Rapscallion, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

"Why did you use the street howitzer, you shit beetle?!" Abraham shouted.

"Why don't ya'll get in line and kiss my ass?!" Daryl replied as he gave them the finger.

LOL

that was just the first exchange i wanted to highlight, but there were so many more just as perfect.

i really enjoy your dialog. you have every character's voice down. it startled me to hear glenn's voice again--really i could hear him--and i felt so sad.

the battle at the end of the previous chapter made me so tense, i had to keep taking breaks to let the adrenaline hit go away. i hate that feeling. i know some people like it but it makes me queasy. that just means you wrote it well, though.

it's very impressive that you can do this, raps.

one sentence confused me in this new chapter--the wolf up on the warehouse shelving threw something, but i couldn't make out what it was. i would also say the crowbar should go clank when it lands.

i had forgotten the wolves would kidnap. i'm glad mikey won't spend a short wretched existence as a wolf. poor kid co-opted into a soul-killing death cult. cheerful ending note for the chapter to discover him. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Rapscallion

Thank you, @Lindigo.

I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter. Much as I hate Morgan, I thought I should give him a small victory and convince the surviving Wolves to leave the warehouse.

The Wolves had no firearms (apparently not part of their philosophy) and carried blade weapons, arrow weapons (bow and crossbow) and stabbing weapons like spears. A Wolf threw a spear at Morgan, but it missed and ricocheted into the darkness. I didn't know I misspelled spear but I've made the correction.

For those that didn't know, a "street howitzer" is a nickname for a shotgun.

I always wanted Daryl to find a new crossbow, and the Wolves' lair offered the perfect chance to introduce the PSE Fang crossbow.

In the episode "JSS" we saw a few Wolves leading captured Alexandrians away. It turns out Mikey was one of these unfortunates. Carol—disguised as a Wolf—acted like she had captured Morgan to get past the Wolves and reach the armory.

Thank you for recommending that the Alpha Wolf's crowbar should've landed with a clang; I've made the correction.

#150 Rapscallion, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  11. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

@Rapscallion -- here is my review of Chapter 1!

I like the recap you gave of what happened in Season 6A. It helps as it sets the setting of the story, and also the tone, where the characters are at emotionally in this fic. You wrote it very well so that I was able to picture everything again.

I enjoy the interactions between Carol and Daryl. You can tell they have chemistry and really care for each other. It's like if everyone else was to die around them, and they still had each other, then they would make it.

Daryl has a wry sense of humor which is fun to read.

I really liked the confrontation between Daryl and Rick. I was shocked that Rick blamed nearly everything on Carol. Yes, Carol killed the two people in the prison to make sure others didn't get sick, but she's not at fault for the Governor returning, Hershel's death, the situation with Beth, and just about everything else he mentioned. I got the sense that Rick is upset with himself and rather than accept responsibility as a sensible leader should (or what one would expect them to do), he totally blamed everything on Carol. Maybe he's upset with Carol as she was the one who told Rick that he couldn't just be a farmer.

I'm glad Daryl knocked out Rick, and when he threatened to put Rick in a coma again....Wow!

I was hoping Carol would answer back Rick. On one hand, I like that Daryl defended Carol's honor. That was great. I just wonder if Carol was so shocked that Rick would blame so many of the group's trials and tribulations that she didn't know how to respond to it.

I hope Daryl and Carol will find a home in Alexandria just for them, so that they can live in peace. And I hope no one from the group will judge them for being a couple. Michonne questioning Carol came off as curious, not judgmental when I read it. If anything no one in the group should judge the love between Daryl and Carol, considering that there are many pairings in the group.

This was an excellent first start, Raps. I look forward to reading and reviewing more.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Rapscallion

Thank you, @ShaneFan. I've been waiting for your first review since you expressed interest in this story. :D

I'm glad you're enjoying the chemistry between Daryl and Carol. I agree with you that if everyone else were to die around them, and they still had each other, then they would make it. They are each other's strength.

Rick was wrong to blame Carol for all the group's tragedies. I like that Daryl hit Rick for saying all of that. I love the brotherhood they have, but I've always wanted to see some tension as well.

Michonne was definitely curious about Daryl and Carol's relationship. They have kept it secret from the group for a whole year, but they're carrying more secrets that will soon need to be revealed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. ShaneFan

You're welcome @Rapscallion. I took forever, but I'm here now and ready to read/review/comment!

Yes, exactly! Daryl and Carol have each other's strength!

I was glad Daryl punched Rick too. Rick went overboard with blaming Carol for all of the group's tragedies. So unnecessary. Agreed: Daryl and Rick have a great bond, but it would be nice to increase the tension with Daryl calling out Rick on his decisions.

I'm glad Michonne was curious and not judgmental and I look forward to seeing what other secrets are revealed by Daryl and Carol.

Keep up the excellent work!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. ShaneFan

@Rapscallion - here's my review of Chapter 2. There's a lot I liked here...

Denise's naivety - Her conversation with Rick, her harsh judgement of Carol shows how sheltered she is as an Alexandrian. She has no idea who Carol is, what struggles she's had in her life (abused by Ed, losing Sophia) and I'm not sure if Rick went into Carol's past, but I am glad that he set the record straight of how much is group has gone through. I wonder if Denise would feel differently if she knew Carol had saved the group at Terminus. Did Rick tell her about this? And at the same time, I'm glad you put in Denise' view about the Wolf who sacrificed himself for her. Denise, as a doctor, is trained to help and heal people, so when Carol shot a Wolf down, and now she finds out Carol killed two women in the prison -- Denise is going to react as she did--especially given her sheltered life in Alexandria.

I really enjoy the bond between Carl and Michonne. I like how Michonne has these maternal instincts that guide her in her interactions with Carl. I like that she gently confronts him and I was glad that Carl was able to confide in Michonne about what really happened with him and Ron. the mention of the samurai movies was a bonus too and ties in with her knowing how to use a katana.

I'm glad Rick was able to reflect on what he said to Carol and how unfair and hurtful it was. I'm glad he had introspection and courage enough to tell Denise that the reason why he kicked Carol out of the prison wasn't truly because of Tyreese, but because he didn't want her around his children. I definitely appreciate the nod to Shane, that Rick has learned that he truly can't be the good guy and expect to live. That was great. Rick has learned from Shane, but also through his own experiences that life after the outbreak hasn't been in the same, and very few things are black and white. There's a lot of gray and he understands that.

Finally, I like the sections focused on Carol and Daryl, and how they both have their own secrets that they are keeping from each other. It's intriguing to realize now how little they know about each other, and how they're both worried about what the other will think if their secrets get out. Daryl with his background and what he and Merle had originally planned to do to the camp, and Carol with the Lizzie/Mika situation. That was very well put. Even the small part where Daryl notes that Carol looks ridiculous in the cardigan sweaters...versus how she is dressed when she's the Carol that her family (and that we as fans) know and love. It's like when Carol puts on that sweater, she's keeping her true self a secret from the Alexandrians. She's disguising herself by blending in...and it's her own secrets that are for her to keep and not for others like Denise to know --especially if she's going to be judged so harshly.

Great work, Raps! I really enjoyed reading this chapter!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Rapscallion

Thank you for reviewing chapter 2, @ShaneFan

Denise is definitely naïve, just like the people of Alexandria. Denise doesn't care that the Alpha Wolf led a group of maniacs into her community, and killed and captured several of her neighbors. The guy shoved one walker away from her and that makes him a troubled soul in desperate need of help. :rolleyes:

The bond between Carl and Michonne is so much fun to write. It's unfortunate their bond ended once they arrived at Alexandria.

Rick spent a sleepless night worrying over Carl, so he wasn't thinking clearly when Daryl and Carol told him and Michonne that they were moving into their own home. It's a legitimate concern that group members moving into vacant homes may cause problems with the Alexandrians, but Rick took it too far blaming all of the group's tragedies on Carol. I like that Rick is trying to make amends by telling Denise about the group's history. Yes, Rick told Denise that Carol saved the group at Terminus, and he would've mentioned Ed's physical abuse and Sophia's death. Their conversation ran long enough for Rick to finish a cup of coffee.

You're right that close as Daryl and Carol are, they really don't know that much about each other. They worry about what the other thinks about them, because it would crush them if it were negative.

Thanks for noticing that Carol's cardigan sweaters are a disguise for her true identity. :cool:

#155 Rapscallion, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ShaneFan

You're welcome @Rapscallion.

Yes, Denise is very naïve and what you said is true: she doesn't seem to think how the Alpha Wolf and his group almost killed people in her community. With the guy who shoved her away...I think he was manipulating her (to some extent) when he had captured her. I don't remember the scene fully, but I remember she started showing compassion to him and then he turned on her.

They have a wonderful bond. I think their bond still shows up here and there...but not as often as before.

That's a good point that Rick was sleepless, and that he would be concerned about how the Alexandrians would feel about Daryl and Carol moving into the vacant. I agree that Rick tried to make amends by telling Denise the history of the group---there's so much they went through. I hope that Denise has a change of heart afterwards. Thank you for confirming that he explained Terminus and Carol's past to her.

Yes, it really struck me how little the really know of each other. It's great that they developed this bond, but now it may be put to the test as they find out more about each other. I'm sure they will remain together.

You're welcome! I loved the sweater part! I'm hoping to read/review more tonight!

17. ShaneFan

@Rapscallion - here's my review of Chapter 3

-I like how Rick reflects on his behavior being similar to Shane's. Both men wanted a married woman (Shane wanted Lori, Rick wanted Jessie.). It is questionable if both men loved the women they were pursuing, or if it was just lust. Because Shane has a history of messing around with women, I think Lori may've been the first woman he truly loved -- but then, he also couldn't let her go. With Rick, I don't think he loved Jessie, but I do agree with the part of the fic that mentions maybe he just wanted to take a break from all the fighting and struggle to survive to just have a normal relationship.

-Another similarity is that both men fought the abusive spouse of a woman -- Shane beating up Ed, and Rick beating up Pete. Thing is though, I saw the fight with Rick and Pete differently -- I didn't view it as him starting with Pete. Yes, he was in the house of a married woman, talking to her, but it was Pete who started with yelling at Rick and then took the first swing at Rick after Rick told him to stand down and leave the home.

-(The part that mentions Rick had a gun at Denise -- I think you meant DeAnna.)

-I'm glad that Rick is able to understand what Shane meant about "you can't be the good guy and expect to live anymore." I'm even more glad that he's able to admit that Shane was right about that -- it's just it took Rick a longer time to get there.

-I really enjoyed the Daryl/Carol scenes. You can tell from how Daryl and Carol went around the house with their knives out how much they've been traumatized from living outside of Alexandria. They are so used to having fight for their lives --be it against walkers or humans--that their first instinct is to kill their way out if necessary. That was very clear and written very well and effective -- I also like you inserting the flashback that Carol has when Daryl unintentionally triggers with a statement about shooting, and then she's brought back to when she killed Lizzie.

-I like Michonne revealing to Rick that Carl like Enid and that she tried to match them up. Ahh so now it will be the group finding out about Carol and Daryl. I'm shocked that Rick didn't see it before but then again he has so much on his mind being the leader of the group.

-Aaron is at the door? What's this about?! Hmmm.....Great work, Raps. Will read and review more soon!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Rapscallion

@ShaneFan,

Thanks for reviewing chapter 3.

Yes, at this point in the story, Rick has gone through hell: The quarry march failed, part of the herd invaded Alexandria, people have died; Jesse died, Carl lost an eye, and now he's destroyed his friendships with Daryl and Carol. That punch Daryl gave Rick woke him up; now he's trying to contain the news about the killing's Carol did at the prison before the rest of Alexandria hears about it, and soon he'll try to repair his friendship with Daryl and Carol.

I think we'll have to disagree with the confrontation between Rick and Pete. Yes, Rick went to the Anderson home to check on Jesse, but when Pete showed up, he didn't leave. In my view, Rick wanted that fight with Pete. I highly doubt the pre-apocalypse Rick would approach a domestic abuse call with that kind of behavior.

We can agree that Rick didn't love Jessie. So what drove that relationship? I think Jessie reminded Rick of Lori. I also think with the apparent security of Alexandria, Rick thought he could relax, hand the leadership role to Deanna, and perhaps have a fling with Jesse, and if that got boring, then he'd move on. Then of course, Rick found out that Pete was beating Jesse...:mad:

Yes, Rick was behaving like Shane, but he didn't realize it until now. Shane thought he loved Lori; I don't know if he—as a womanizer—knew what love is, but I think he was surprised to find he enjoyed the responsibility of protecting—or taking care of a family. Shane tried several times to kill Rick, but couldn't bring himself to follow through, but I think Rick would've killed Pete if Deanna hadn't interrupted the fight.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Daryl and Carol scenes. Daryl's about to finally get some new clothes! That's the first of a few good surprises in store for Daryl in this story. :cool:

Thanks for telling me about the Denise error. I've made the correction. I always got Denise and Deanna mixed up in season six. :oops:

#158 Rapscallion, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  19. ShaneFan

@Rapscallion,

You're welcome. I'm hoping to get to Chapter 4 before the week is out.

Absolutely -- Rick has gone through hell and back with Alexandria and even before. Maybe he needed that punch from Daryl to really wake him up. Although Rick is trying to contain the truth about Carol, I wonder what the Alexandrians would think of her (aside from Denise) especially being that she blended in so well with them. It was an act, of course, but imagine finding out that the lovely lady who makes these yummy cookies....that she killed two people. I'm glad Rick will repair his friendship with Daryl and Carol.

I thought about your view about Rick and Pete. I see what you mean in that Rick didn't leave once Pete was there. The fact that he stayed there was crossing a line. The equivalent of that would be if Rick returned home and Shane and Lori there--and Shane doesn't leave--especially if it's an intimate part of the home (the bedroom). Also, there was tension between Pete and Rick and it finally erupted. Pre-ZA Rick would respond differently I'm sure...he wouldn't confront the abuser by himself for starters.

Yeah, I can see Rick being reminded of Lori when he sees Jessie, and it also reminds of his life before the Z. I don't fault Rick for wanting to relax and just have "down time" (not exactly the words I'm looking for) to just....be himself...and not the leader. Being the leader carries immense responsibility. It seems so strange that Rick would approach a married woman and then just move on...the fact that Pete was being abusive to Jessie brought out those killer/protective instincts.

There are so many similarities between Rick and Shane in season 5...I like how you brought that about here in your Season 6B reboot. As a womanizer, I think Shane treated women like sexual conquests...the way he and Rick talked about that in Season 1 brings that to mind. With Lori, it was different, and he seemed to genuinely care for her---it wasn't like how he treated other women. I agree that he was surprised he enjoyed the responsibility of protecting or taking care of a family. I also think being there for Lori and Carl gave Shane a reason to live, something to fight for. I'm thinking Season 2 when he tells Rick that "I didn't keep Lori and Carl alive--they kept me alive." Shane comes off as a very lonely person, in that even though he's had this history of messing around with women, he had never found stability like Rick did. No, Shane was never able to follow through on killing Rick. He probably knew deep down inside that to murder Rick would destroy him. If he kills Rick, then Lori and Carl will be against him--he'd lose everything. I'm sure there's more to it, but that's one aspect. Oh definitely--Rick would've killed Pete right then and there if Deanna didn't intervene.

I'm glad Daryl's getting new clothes! It's about time! I look forward to more surprises with Daryl in this story.

You're welcome and no worries --it's easy to get Denise and DeAnna mixed up...both female D names.

Looking forward to reading more chapters and I hope to be completely caught up very soon!

• Like Like x 1
  20. ShaneFan

@Rapscallion - Review of Chapter4 - this was a great chapter focused on Carol and Daryl. Here's my thoughts.

1. I really appreciate the way you wrote Aaron in this chapter. He matched the character I adore in the series. He's kind, genuine, and perceptive. Very perceptive. The way he called out Daryl and Carol being a couple reminded me of how he assessed Daryl's character when Rick's group first came to Alexandria, how he took Daryl under his wing, and gave him the motorcycle. I also like how he and Eric made Daryl and Carol feel welcome in the Fremont house, and how he kept his promise to talk to the Alexandrian residents.

2. I enjoyed the snippets of Merle's dialogue haunting Daryl, and also Carol's flashbacks. I like how both of their secrets/pasts keeps coming up in small, but very significant ways. I felt sad that Carol was hard on herself for not looking for Sophia. If Sophia were alive now and were to disappear or be chased by walkers, Carol would waste no time in killing them and going after Sophia. Carol was such a different woman back then and it took Sophia's death and also Daryl's persistence in finding her...this slowly began Carol's change.

3. The story of the Fremont family was truly heartbreaking. I wonder how Aaron was able to keep it a secret from the Alexandrians--that one of their own had turned and even consumed a family member. That story was truly haunting. I like that you tied it into one of Aiden's failed trips, showing that the Alexandrian's inexperience had ripple effects/repercussions.

4. Squirrel soup was a nice patch of humor in the mix! Glad to see that Daryl hasn't totally shed who he truly is and what makes him unique! Although the idea of him looking like someone who just walked out of Starbucks is really funny!

Great job on this chapter, Daryl, I really enjoyed it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1