Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Olivia.

Discussion in 'Episode 704 - Service' started by Ionut, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Negan had a solid point in questioning why Olivia was the caretaker of the food and the gun inventory.

This was the job that she had under Deanna's leadership, but it seems silly to have such a useless person as the manager of the food supply and the weaponry cache.

Even in the Wolves attack -- she was hiding in the closet, because she's incapable of doing anything.

Most useless mouth to feed in the entire community. Offers nothing.

2. LolaDemented

LolaDemented Active Member

I don't think Olivia will be around much longer which will solve that problem. I agree she is a useless character with little to no development.

3. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

Yeah threatening her life did nothing for me. Oh, you'll kill Olivia? Um, oh, ok I guess that's worth giving up ALL OUR GUNS!!!!

Sorry but it is the ZA. Some things are worth more....

4. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using little or no insight.

5. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

One rifle is worth more than Olivia in the ZA.

The rifle doesn't consume resources and is a valuable survival tool. Negan was correct in stating that she was eating well -- eating well and offering absolutely nothing.

Olivia represents the ridiculousness of the ASZ anomaly that the group stumbled into. Hardly any of those people were capable of surviving and were locked in the luckiest situation possible.

For Spencer to have the audacity to suggest or even think that they'd have fared better in the state they were when dealing with the Saviors and others...

Every ASZ native character aside from a few like Tobin are useless to the core. Offering no skills of any kind to the group and consuming resources.

6. hiddeninside

hiddeninside Member

The problem is, Negan would have killed her and would still have insisted to get the guns. Or do you think, he would have stopped the search after her death?

7. Ink

Ink New Member

Isn't the fact she's useless outside the walls exactly why it's the perfect job for her?

8. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

There's no way Negan would have allowed them to keep any of the guns, he'd have killed her just to toy with them and make a point.

That said if the choice was Olivia or keep 1/3rd of the guns, the rational choice is to keep 1/3rd of the guns(a set of rifles and ammo would do it for me over Olivia).

They handled it correctly given the state things with Negan. Negan also toys around with psychology in depth, so it's likely had they not found the guns that he wouldn't have killed her anyway and would have taken something else. He had nothing to gain by killing her, just like ASZ has nothing to gain by keeping her.

She is a net negative just on resource consumption.

9. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

It would be if she was good at it, she isn't -- at either keeping track of stuff or watching/guarding the stuff.

Instances:

- Carol easily get past their system and getting several handguns late in S5.
    - Hiding in the closet when the Wolves attacked with the door unlocked and weapons ready for anyone to take, instead of guarding that location or trying to barricade it.
    - Stuff being unaccounted for in both the log this past episode and them not being able to keep track of the guns Carol took.

So, ****ing useless with no useful skills and eats a lot of food. A net negative.

10. hiddeninside

hiddeninside Member

That’s what I meant. So, it would have been a complete unnecessary sacrifice to let Negan kill her.

That’s true but still – she’s not a “bad person”; she’s just not especially skillful or clever. But that’s not her “fault”. Rick and his group protect and help her because she’s part of the group. This isn’t a question of utility – or they would have to kill all children and all elderly people, too.
    If you only mean, the watchers of the show wouldn’t be very sad if she died, you are right. The reason is that the writers didn’t create her character as especially likable.

How do you know? Is this just an assumption or do you have any proof?

11. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Definitely. But it would have been no loss had he done it.

I'm not suggesting they just get rid of her for no purpose or that she's a bad person, just that's she's of no use. It's a peculiar situation where she'd be no loss, but it wouldn't be morally right to allow it to happen if preventable, which is why I said they handled it appropriately.

That said, if guns were on the line then my opinion changes(they weren't). Having a lack of guns puts your vital and useful members at risk and reduces the chances to eventually find a way to free yourself from the Saviors. Her life isn't worth any significant risk to the core group.

Judging by that she's rather weighty, she either has an extreme lack of activity or is consuming a healthy dose of calories. Negan pointed this out in his comically blunt fashion.

12. hiddeninside

hiddeninside Member

I guess it's the first. You adduced a lot of negative things about her. But Deanna was not stupid. I think, Olivia had got this job because she's reliable and honest. I don't think she would take more food for herself than the determinded rations for every person.

13. Chiron

Chiron Member

You had ONE job Olivia.
    She is still alive and they killed off Denise. Go figure.
    When Negan walked in I noticed so many Alexandrians who still just seem to be cruisin two seasons in. Tobin and a couple others who said they can't fight. Shouldn't they be busy planting food or repairing the watchtower or something?!? In the Kingdom everyone seemed to be contributing.

edit: Negan's jibe - ouch, poor Olivia.

#13 Chiron, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  14. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

OP - the character of Olivia is the same as the comics. Nothing has or will change with her.

15. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

No, Deanna was not stupid, but Deanna was a ill equipped to be a leader. This is why she sought out Rick.

Deanna had the wrong people doing the wrong jobs in almost every position in ASZ prior to Rick's arrival. Even if she took no more than the standard rations, she still doesn't do anything meaningful to pull her weight for those rations.

Deanna gave her the job and the others let her keep the job because she can't do anything else.

16. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Thank you.

This is what I am alluding to.

17. Watching Dead

Watching Dead Member

I have to come to Olivia's defense here. Deanna and Rick are both smart with people and she is detailed and honest. She wouldn't be in the job if she didn't deserve it. Also how would the town react if Rick put one of his people in every position of power. I am also disappointed that they wrote in a tasteless fat joke into the story. As if fat people don't have enough to deal with then to put fat shaming into on of the worlds most watched shows.

18. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Is Judith second most useless to you?

19. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Too obvious maybe?

20. Chiron

Chiron Member

Incredibly tasteless and unnecessary.