Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Protection wall support beams

Discussion in 'Episode 516 - Conquer' started by passingfan, Apr 1, 2015.

1. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Yeah. That's what I was referring to. Check out the comment on its listing for compressive strength.

The yield strength of A36 (mild) steel is 36000psi, but the allowable yield strength used by civil engineers is 0.6 times 36000, or 21600 psi.

I'm not familiar with the terms and safety factors used by mechanical engineers. Apparently they are different.

2. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Some panels run horizontal. Some run vertical. I also noticed we have at least two different types of ground anchor brace connectors.

3. surviving

When I was designing I would use actual yield and multiply the load by a factor greater than 1. Safety factor 1would be actual load, never do that. 1.5 would be 1.5 time the load and so on.

4. westwingnut

Thanks for that. I'm mostly interested in the columns, which look to be made from angles. Those are the worst thing to use in bending. A sustained load from the outside (from a truck, for example) will crumple the columns well before the braces go, even if the braces are on the inside.

5. Screaminleeman

I am thinking that they are possibly wood or plastic. If you look closely at the lowest rib that Ricks right hand is touching, and follow that rib to the left to it's "stud" it is either a cut out of the stud itself, or some kind of "clamp" to keep the vertical stud from lateral movement. You would think that we would see at least a second one somewhere else if this were the case.

Hopefully it is solitary, as the steel fence is welded together and this is single slightly messy joint. :zombies_confused:

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Uh oh, we are in for a long 6 months of analyzing beams :p :p :p

7. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Beats talking about whether Pete is still alive or whether Glenn was bitten or not.

8. westwingnut

Hey, who let the girl into the Nerds' Treehouse?

ETA: Well, this one has her own construction helmet, so she can stay.

#188 westwingnut, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  9. surviving

[MENTION=23322]westwingnut[/MENTION]

When I look at the columns and the braces, I see a cantilevered beam rotated 90 degrees. Would this be a good analogy? I do realize the column is in compression due to its own weight.

10. westwingnut

If I were doing the design calculation I would treat the columns as pinned at both ends. This is going on the assumption that the posts are dug in far enough into the ground, and the braces have enough compression capacity to provide the necessary lateral reaction. I wouldn't give the ground any torsional capacity. If it really is the case that the braces are square tubes and the columns are angles I would bet any amount of money that the columns would give way first.

Having stared at the pictures I am more impressed with the effort that went into making them. They did a respectable job with it. It would be a nice little project to get the design specs and the wind loads and go through the calculations.

11. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

You can find information by searching for the Senoia City Council.

example: "
    Riley on July 7 said plans call for the metal wall to be anchored in such a way that it will withstand winds of 115 miles per hour".

12. surviving

Myself, I see it as being fixed at ground level and pinned at the brace connection. The wind load [MENTION=6650]daveainthere[/MENTION] provided would be a good starting point. Wind load is the only live load. and yes the wall appears to be stronger than thought.

13. surviving

With a wind load of 115 mph, we would have a point load of 12188 lbs-f at the mid point of the above ground portion of the column. Also, I still dont see no compression in braces, only tension. When a force is spplied to the outside of the wall , the direction of the force at the brace connections on wall is in in the same direction as the force on the wall and at other end of the brace it is pulling back in the opposite direction, tension.

14. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

I saw construction photos of this wall, I saw both concrete anchors for the braces and a footer for the bottom of wall.

The issue is, yes, the wall is adequate. No, the Alex. survivors probably could not have built this wall as is with things as they are/were.

some suspension of belief...for sure.

15. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the concrete anchors for the bases?

16. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

I am looking for the one good one, yet most photos on this forum can no longer be found.

[​IMG]

17. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, that's a pain, I think its because after awhile facebook hides pictures on users walls unless they specifically access those specific months. So then when they are copied and pasted to the forum, they disappear. Anyway, the reason I asked was that around the time of wall construction, someone posted some photos on the forum that showed concrete anchors, but they were just stock photos. Examples of what those anchors would look like. For awhile people got confused and thought they were actually photos of the set. I was wondering if that was what you saw. I personally, have not seen a photo of a definite concrete anchor for a brace at the wall.

18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Well, if we're still angsty about it, remember that we are seeing a movie-set *representation* of the wall that Reg designed and built, so any errors that exist might just be poor set design and are NOT a flaw that's present in the "real" wall.

19. Neuropyramidal

haha, when I said something like that last time, you said it was more fun to discuss the possibilities within the TWD universe. :p. And you were right.

20. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

#200 daveainthere, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015