Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Question about an electrical socket

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

@Neuropyramidal Pease, Mr. Scientist, can you help me? Or maybe this has to remain one of life's mysteries? I tried to go to sleep long ago, but it turned into the episode on Breaking Bad where Walter White was being driven insane by a fly.

My previous C-PAP started making Doppler effect noises. EEEEEEEEEEEE when I breathed in and a lower AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when I breathed out. It was the motor, it was under warranty, I got a new one.

New C-PAP machine. It is silent, but when I breathed out there was a rattling noise in another corner of the room. After much sleepy rummaging around, I finally figured out the tower air conditioner was rattling every time I breathed out. They are both plugged into the same 5-plug adapter, and of course the air conditioner is OFF. So, WTH????? That's what I most want to know.

All four things plugged into the adapter made a tight connection (as did the adapter itself): the air conditioner; a tiny bedside lamp with a tiny minuscule watt bulb; a shredder that can shred three pages at a time, also OFF; and the C-PAP machine. The only time two things are on at once is when I briefly have the night-light lamp turned on while I am putting on my C-PAP mask and then hitting ON.

I tried moving the plug for the air conditioner into the empty adapter socket, but it still rattled when I breathed out. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? It has never made that noise when it is being an air conditioner in its ON position.

Obviously, I unplugged it, and now I could go to sleep except that I am both irritated and worried. Mostly irritated. 99 percent irritated, 1 percent worried.

The adapter has lights for Grounded and Protected and both are lit. Do you think everything is okay and I'm not going to have an electrical fire? That's my 1 percent question. My 99 percent question is WHY THE HELL does my air conditioner react to my breathing out???????

2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Maybe you have a screw loose.

#2 Morgotha, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Maybe the new CPap takes more wattage. Try plugging the mini AC into another outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Omg that sent me into a laughing coughing fit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. PepperAnn

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I can help with this. Even if you have an adapter with GFI and Surge protection, there is too much plugged into that outlet that the amperage it is rated for. A/C' s usually have their own circuit because the run a high amperage. Even in the off position, if it's plugged in its drawing a bit of power. So when you run your cpap your a.c. is reacting to the amperage draw. Picture a coffee machine that's plugged in and has a display showing time. Even if it's off, it is still drawing minimal power. If you want to avoid the noise, keep your a.c. on a separate outlet which is a good idea since its the highest amperage drawing item you have. Unless your wiring is really old I wouldn't worry about an electrical fire. But to err on side of caution, wiring does get hot if too much amperage runs through it that it is rated to carry. Keep your AC separate will solve issue.

• Winner Winner x 4
  7. PepperAnn

You’re so smart. But I’m still dying at Morgotha.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

I should also add that what you have plugged in has nothing to do with how many outlets you have but more so how many of those outlets are on one circuit. Meaning. Normal residential amperage on each circuit or breaker in panel is 15 amps. You can have 3 outlets in one or more rooms going on the same circuit. Its important that the highest amperage drawing appliance have it's own circuit. Fridges and stoves are a good example. So if problem persists if you plug a.c. on its own its because where you plugged it is still the same circuit as the other items.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

What @Apollonia said.
    My refrigerator is attached to one other outlet in the kitchen, because it draws a lot of amperage.
    But there is another line that has 6 outlets on it. 1 in the garage, 1 in the living room, then 3 out on the patio, then ends in the small bathroom. Because I have a timer for the decorative lights on one of the patio outlets, if I plug a power tool into the garage one it trips the GFCI. Too much amperage for 1line.

Maybe you can unplug the shredder, until you use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  10. Morgotha

Many moons ago we rented a small house that was 75+ years old and had barely serviceable electrical service. We had an extension cord running from the living room in to the kitchen as the service couldn't handle the refrigerator kicking on when the (unfortunately electric) stove was in use.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yep, me thinks this is basically the answer! Its either that or your AC is mocking you! In which case I would exact revenge by continuously going "wwuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" while it runs during the summer! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Lindigo

Thank you everyone! Such smart people here. :) All I have ever truly been able to understand about electricity is that it is fearsome and should be treated with awe and grave respect.

I knew things drew amperage even in the off position, but I didn't know it would be significant.

Thank you, EVERYBODY!!!! Now I can stop being mad at the air conditioner. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Lindigo

@Morgotha, I had to unblock you to see why PepperAnn was so amused. Me, too. That was hilarious!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

ok did i read it right that the ac makes a noise while it's turned off? How's that happen?

15. Lindigo

YES, you read that right. It took me forever to figure out that that was what was happening, because how could that even be one of the possibilities?? I was wandering around my bedroom with my cpap mask on listening at walls, because logically it could have been something scary with the wiring, right? But, no, it turned out to be the tower fan--in its off position.

After I read everything here, I actually did try tightening up the screws, but it's something on the inside that's clunking when I breathe out. So I left it unplugged. Next summer I will have to run an extension cord to get electricity to it.

The wall socket is behind the head of my bed, which is a bulky thing because it used to be a water bed. Now it has a heavy mattress on it. Lots of cooking magazines stored under the bed, pushed up against the waterbed platform. It was a real project to pull everything out and then brace myself and hurtle my entire weight against the bed to yank it away from the walls enough inches to be able to squeeze my hand in to where the socket is, and then start experimenting.

I was SO pissed. :D

16. zombiemom62

ok, question, is it a tower fan not an ac of some kind? because the amp draw on a fan is far different than one on an ac, and you had said it was an ac. And I don't know how it is make noise in the off position. If you unplug it totally does the noise stop?

17. Lindigo

It is a fan. I said AC because it is all I have to cool me down, but that's wrong--it's not an AC. I looked on the unit to see how it describes itself. It just has a brand name. It's an old fan, so no computer component that could be conversing with the C-PAP.

I have no explanation for how it makes noise in the off position when I am breathing out wearing my C-PAP mask. The decade it has stood there in the off position, it has been completely silent, just what we would expect.

Two ways to make it be silent.
    One, unplug it.
    Two, keep it plugged in, but don't use my C-PAP mask. If the C-PAP is on, but I'm not wearing the mask, the fan is silent. I had to be breathing via the mask to track down the source of the rattle. Seriously, I felt like Walter White in the episode about the fly, because this was just insane.

I tested it over and over, always with the fan in the off position, thinking maybe the C-PAP was making some part of the fan's innards vibrate. It didn't help when I tightened the fan's screws. It didn't help when I threw a blanket over the fan. It didn't help when I tried a different plug space on the adapter. I wish I had tried Sharpie's idea of unplugging the shredder just to see if that would matter to the fan, but I have already shoved the bed back into place, and I don't want to give myself another temper tantrum in the struggle that would be involved to pull it out from the wall again.

Also, I did try turning the fan on and then off at one point. To remind it of what OFF means. :rolleyes: It didn't help. I also tried thumping the fan against the floor, because WTH and it deserved it. :p No difference.

18. zombiemom62

but it shouldn't be making a mechanical noise if not turned on, and a fan, cpap and night lite should be ok, depending on what else is on circuitl They would not draw 15 amps. Best way to figure what is on circuit is to turn on everything and then turn off breaker and see what goes off, thats what is on the circuit.

19. Morgotha

One other thing you could do is to buy a short but heavy duty extension cord, plug that in to the wall, then put your power strip at the end of that outside where your bed is. I wouldn't solve the problem, but it would make unplugging things and plugging them in a lot easier.

20. Morgotha

In the a/c unit "off" probably isn't really "off", but sleeping in some way. If you don't use it in the winter, might as well just unplug it, IMO.