Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rape is the Line Negan won't Tolerate.

Discussion in 'Episode 715 - Something They Need' started by Weallgotit, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

With all the sadistic and brutal deeds Negan does and has his people do. Rape is the thing that will earn them a blade in the throat. Interesting.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I'm happy they kept this in for Negan *comic node ;)...;)*

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

Rape that he has not sanctioned is not allowed. He did not give permission for him to "have" Sasha. That is the line.

It isn't as though Negan's "wives" are willing and eager for his attentions.

Him controlling men's ability to have sex with women is just part of his sick game.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  4. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I think he prevents the rape for selfish not moral reasons. He might decide he wants another wife and doesn't want any other guy to get there first. He of course wants to see if he can get her under his thumb to use against Rick and others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Nah...he said rape was against the rules

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

In Negan's mind, any evil he does serves a purpose. Bashing someone's brains in on the road, has a 'purpose'. It helps bring another group into the submissive fold, which [again, in his mind] is a sort of new civilization. A greater good.

Rape is just a primitive, brutal evil which doesn't serve to propagate Negan's overall worldview, and is thus not tolerated. In terms of Negan's overall mentality, it makes sense...although...not completely: Negan's having a harem of women, some of them obviously not completely willing, also doesn't serve his idea of a greater good.

Negan's logic is not completely internally consistent. Physically forced rape is taboo, but psychologically coerced rape seems to be okay with him. I think he is one of those simple minded people who only consider rape as being rape if it involved a forced physical attack. Deliberately putting someone in a trapped position of vulnerability, so you can have sex with them....is totes okay.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I don't feel I know enough about Negan to say with any certainty how he internally feels about women and their roles in his little world but when he lays down the law to his subjects, woe to anyone who goes against the rules.

In this instance, not only was the guy breaking the rules but would have have made it more difficult for Negan to recruit Sasha if she had been brutally raped. I also think Negan decided he would kill rapey Davey as he delivered his monologue not only to punish and send a message but he realized it would present an opportunity to see how Sasha would react.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

I think everyone so far has made great points about this. Negan seems to take a high moral ground when it comes to women to suit his means in front of his men. None of his wives want to be such, yet they are his and only his. And most of them were presumably with other Saviors and he took them away from the men. Isn't that in some ways rape also?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Negan has the "gold". Negan makes the rules. Negan can also change, tweak, alter or revise the rules as he sees fit. Because ultimately, all of his "rules" are designed to ensure his control over everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

I honestly think this is one of his most unrealistic things about Negan's leadership. How can he keep control of his vast army of men who probably barely had "any" since the ZA and have large communties (with women) that they completely dominate but are not allowed to get any sexual release from. This is the sort of stuff that'd start a mutiny. I'm serious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

I'm gonna have to play Devils advovate and say for all we know the women could have denied negan. i mean they do have that choice. i dont think we've heard of any woman that did so we can only speculate on the possible consequences. just a thought.

12. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

We should take note that David has not actually raped Sasha. So, technically speaking, he has not broken a rule unless, of course, the rule says 'threatening to rape' is forbidden. Anyone knows the rules from the comics? Is Negan against 'rape' to the extent that what David did is included?

If David has not broken a rule and Negan still kills him, maybe Negan is actually using this as part of his method of breaking Sasha? Eg as a way to show to Sasha that he is not a monster or as evil as she might be thinking Negan is?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

Negan isn't a fool, Dave was going to rape her, he was in fact already started, ripping her clothes etc, and he is the one that provided the rope to tie her up, which even Negan remarked on being a bit much. I think Negan already had clues about Dave's nature and was watching him. The only reason he didn't rape her was because Negan stopped him. Yeah, I'll bet Negan and Lucille showing up was a real erection killer.

#13 zombiemom62, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It seems that Negan convinces himself that any woman who will sleep with him (aka, become his wife) is not constituting rape. To him, they are giving their consent, despite the obvious fact that they are only doing so because they fear for their lives. But any man who forces himself onto a woman - as David was obviously about to do - is a rapist. Very fine, twisted line.

15. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

No one is saying they can't have sexual release. BUT they can't do so against a woman's will. I don't think there's been anything to prove there aren't relationships in the Saviours world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

Like Neuro above, I believe Negan's internal logic is very consistent. His domain is run by rules. HIS rules. And the greatest crime in Negan's world is for one of his people to break Negan's rules.

He believes his rules are what is required to save the world. If bashing in a couple of heads is what is required, he will do it. But he wouldn't do it otherwise. His philosophy is that the harsh world requires harsh rules to survive. It's not a mistake he calls his group The Saviors. In his mind, that is precisely what he believes he is doing.

17. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I agree, it is very twisted. But I also think, that Negan is a narcisist, who can't imagine, that one of his wives doesn't want to be with him. I think, in his own twisted little world, a woman, who doesn't say 'no' has given consens, even if she is only doing it to save a loved one (like in Shelleys case or the case of that other wife, whose husband was punished in that one episode).

18. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

It depends on who is doing the raping. I am sure that Negan would not tolerate anyone else using "psychological coercion" to get action any more than he tolerated David using actual physical force.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

This sort of stuff really goes against the Negan we were first introduced to.

Since 702, Negan has shown moments of sincerity. They have gone to great lengths to show that he's really not that bad. He really is a guy who wants all the communities to work for the same goal. Providing for the saviors, and in return he doesn't simply kill them and take all their stuff. That his violence is just a means to keep order.

But that all flies in the face of the fact that he genuinely enjoyed killing Abe and Glenn. It wasn't just a matter of setting rules and punishing them. He actually had fun killing them. That's really the only thing that I can't get past. Had he not joked and had a good time killing them, it would be more believable that he is just following the rules he set.

Just like there are saviors who are doing their job, like Gavin and even Dwight. Then there are saviors who are actually terrible people deep down inside like David. Negan is both. A guy doing his job but also enjoys the brutality.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

To Negan the V is a currency, a bartering tool (and yes, a form of control).

I lolled

#20 8307c4, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017