Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick Grimes

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead TV Characters' started by Roman'sRevenge, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

Decided to post this because I'm Rick's biggest defender. I believe Rick is a good and honorable man with given the hand he was dealt - being shot - being in a coma and coming out the coma in " a world that has gone to shit" and make the best decisions he can. I believe he has. Being pushed into role of leader that he didn't choose but was chosen to be. At the farm when he and Hershel were talking and Rick wanted to stay longer and he said This people look to me for answers, I wish they didn't but they do". He stays with Lori and takes her shit because of Carl. He loves her but loves his son more and doesn't want to hurt him by divorcing his mother - before ZA - or saying cruel and negative this about her. When he and Morgan were talking he mentioned his son first before his wife.Then at camp how he runs to Carl and just how he is with him - showing so much love. When he and Lori are in the tent and how Rick tells Carl he loves him then when he and Lori getting intimate and he is concerned for Carl not being woken up. When he decides to go back for Merle he wants Carl to be okay with it before leaving. At the CDC talking with Jenner he mentions his boy first before his wife. And of course when his son gets shot he has so much more concern and love than his wife about Carl pulling through and making it. Not to say Rick doesn't love Lori,she is his wife and I'm sure they have good times together but at the end of Secrets he was just about done or wanting to end things with Lori. When he said" Lori I can't do this anymore".I don't see him as weak because he doubts his actions or he would rather negotiate a problem or see a different side to it before moving forward. He is rational and level headed. Just my thoughts here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

no doubt, Rick is not a weak character, at contrary, he is a strong very strong person, just that at diference from Shane, as you say, he is level headed and more rational, if Rick was a weak man he would have never survived his whole escape from the hospital and then surviving the streets, surely he had help, but still in moments of group's panic, he was the only one strong minded to look for a survival tactic or a solution

3. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

I don't have a problem with any of Rick's decisions - maybe a bit more a reaction to Lori's revelations about Shane and her pregnancy, but even with that it fits with Lori's complaint in the flashback scene about him always being so reasonable. Doesn't mean the emotions are not there, just he can't/chooses not to show them. In the promo here (not sure if it is the others as well as they all sort of merge after a while) he does

I also think it makes sense for them to be on the farm - even if others have complained about it slowing the story down too much. Why would he want to pack up and leave a safe haven (as far as they are aware atm)when he has a young son to care for? Also I think most people would look for a lost child for a few days at least - I think Shane was the only one who actually had a problem with it.

4. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

Rick is my favorite character, but I do think he's written naive and silly at times. Rick is a cop. He makes dumb mistakes. I blame the writers though.

My only issue with Rick is he is blind to what goes on around him. He is blind to what goes on with Shane, and Blind to the crazy that is Lori. These kinds of weakness are artist's tropes (like king arthur who somehow never guesses Lance and Guinevere are having an affair), which just get tiresome after a while. If you write a character naive to further plot devices, eventually they will be perceived as unfit, and Rick's willingness not to see the crap that goes on around him is getting tiresome.

I know eventually he will become more jaded, but he is the least suspicious cop I've ever seen. He believes the best in everybody.

5. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

Rick is not naive, he can see perfectly how everyone is around him by so far on the series, and he believes the best on everyone around him because he is a true leader of heart, the only thing he has to recall i think, is the fact that many around him including his wife will let him down and already did, so i think like you on that, he will become more jaded later on

6. Roman'sRevenge

Rick isn't blind to what is going on around him. Because he has been put in the position of leader he can't just let his emotions take over like Shane does. At the end of Secrets Rick says " I know of course I know". The look he had was one of being or becoming broken and shattered. And even when he was in church talking to God, he seemed on the verge of being jaded. When he spoke with Jenner says it all. Rick says or words to the effect" I just have kept in and held onto it kept in and kept us moving forward". Not saying how really felt to keep his family and the others safe and to give them strength and hope.

7. Zombie Lover

I think it is a matter of perspective. For me, I still think rick is Naive. He seems oblivious to situations that he should address or acknowledge and makes blunders because of his idealism. The idea that Rick says he knew doesn't mean that he did actually know.

8. Roman'sRevenge

I think Rick knew something was going on prior to the ZA. Your wife just doesn't go into major bitch mode for no reason. As for other situations there is that being rational and level headed. You just don't go into a situation or any situation like a bull in a China shop. Plus Rick still has humanity that is part of who he is.

9. Zombie Lover

A normal wife might not go into bitch mode for no reason, but this is Lori we are talking about. :Grin:

10. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Shane is a grease ball tool. He's just mad because Lori doesn't want him, so he directs the anger towards Rick, wanting to be the Dissenting force.

As you say there isn't a valid reason to uproot from a potential safe haven, Especially when you have a missing girl, an injured kid, a pregnant wife, and another member still recovering from an arrow clean through the side and a bullet graze.

As for looking for a missing girl, there wasn't a reason to suspect she was dead. The whole 72 hour period that Shane talks about, which is the period given by the normal world is not fool proof and typically pertained to the idea of a child being abducted by a kidnapper and being disposed of within that time frame.

11. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

exactly
    jaa, xD nice one

12. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

True! Natural born bitches are very good at going into bitch mode at the blink of an eye. lol

13. Jack.

Jack. Member

I think Rick is a good leader for the group. Shane told Lori that Rick 'was not built for this world' but i would like to see shane come out of a coma alive during a apocalypse.

14. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

[​IMG]

look at the picture, Shane is thinking on how to shoot both without raising anyones suspicions, rick is missing the whole plot, and lori quit the bitch mode to play damsil on distress LOL

15. Zombie Lover

I don't think either Rick or Shane make good leaders. they would make great followers for a person who was practical, saw shades of gray and was able to use them to best advantage.

I don't think just because Rick is the protag he should also lead. That happens WAY too much in fiction. Rick is a great guy- don't get me wrong- he just doesn't inspire confidance.

16. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

LOL Thanks I never noticed that but you're right that's exactly what it looks like.

17. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Rick is doing one thing and one thing only; he is looking for a safe place for Carl to be raised. That's it. He knows what the hell is going on around him and if he finds that it doesn't inter fear with his objective he doesn't worry about it. Shane doing Lori doesn't effect that, but can. That's why he never has confronted a lot of shit that goes on around him.

18. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

True but little does he know, ignoring it outright isn't working either as Shane keeps going behind his back to throw him under a bus to Lori and is getting crazier and crazier because of her. That's all going to wind up like a turd that won't flush even if he tries to ignore it.

19. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

All I was trying to say is that he isn't naive. Didn't say that it was a good course of action. :zombies_lol: Rick, and hell most people, are really in way over their head in this. If there is an earthquake, you only have to make it a few months. (Not belittling the situation. I have a friend that lost family in Haiti.) Just saying that there is light at the end of the tunnel for the most part. For this situation though, aint no sunshine commin and I think Rick is doing well overall. He doesn't want to be leader they are just following him because they all are pretty much idiots.

20. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

Rick is not naive, he just prefers to deal things with calm and not loose mind of his objectives,

other proof here

[​IMG]

look at his face, he is thinking: why the heck did i have to marry this woman xD