Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick is a horrible leader!

Discussion in 'Episode 603 - Thank You' started by Craven, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Craven

Craven Member

Rick is making bad decisions. To be honest with you guys, I thought that Carter had a better idea than Rick when it came to how to deal with the walkers in the large pit. Carter said that it would be better to build huge walls to keep them in. Rick wanted to let them out and lead them away. When they all went to the pit the truck that was holding them in did end up falling, but if they would have started building the wall sooner they could have stopped the walkers from getting out. Even if they would have never went to the pit, they could have built up Alexandria's defenses so that they could deal with the walkers if they attacked. Leaving Alexandria defenseless was a bad Idea.

2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I agree the walkers should have stayed in a fortified pit, which would have provided ongoing protection for Alexandria. That pit was enormous and would have worked for a long time while they decided how to kill them. Probably stab a few at a time from a controlled exit, day after day, month after month.

But one weirdly dumb and dangerous decision doesn't make Rick a bad leader. He has saved them countless times. He heroically raced back to the RV and would be leading the back half of the walkers away again right now, despite his terribly injured hand--if the RV would only start.

3. Berry

Berry Member

I think most people (including me) are going to agree that the zombie parade was a bad idea. However, I disagree about Rick being a bad leader. He took the idea, made a plan, and it would have worked if not for the external influence. We didn't hear any really good rebuttals to his plan, and he didn't either. I can imagine the meeting would have happened for hours off-screen, and no one could come up with a better plan.

From his experience/point of view, it wasn't a bad idea to take most of his group along on the dangerous mission while leaving relatively light security at home. Home was safe, had been for two years. What are the chances that some bloodthirsty group would descend the same day, FUBARing the town and his plan in one fell swoop (and coming back to defeat his fix on top of that?!)

Rick needs our support through this tough time!

4. Berry

Berry Member

haha, we were posting at the same time :)

5. jojo

jojo Member

I disagree with you here.
    1) When Rick and Morgan found out about the quarry and seen the truck barricade was going to give away. Rick himself said "It's not a matter of IF it's WHEN." Now albeit no one knew the "WHEN."
    2) Even IF Rick went Carter plan he also said the noise would draw more and more so when a quarry of 10,000 zombies draws more and more where do 10 or 15 thousand more go?? The noise from ASZ though if they kept minimal would draw them. Piling up thousands literally at your door step with a few walls nahh.
    3)How long to construct and put these walls barricade up at the quarry? I'd say weeks again drawing more to the potential exits with construction noise and new dead arrivals to visit the new digs. Eventually I predict every worker dies from a walker attack trying to build the damn thing.

AND I WANT MY TOBIN TO LIVE!! :)

6. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I know there is a big divide over whether the quarry could have continued to safely hold walkers, but where do you stand on the issue of whether Rick is a terrible leader? :)

7. jojo

jojo Member

No he's not a terrible leader yes sense the beginning he's made questionable dessions.
    As he told Deanna first meeting I've done things I've killed people etc. All to help those people out there "my family" stay alive. Like Deanna said sounds like I would want to be part of your family. Yes and so would I.

8. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

I agree in that Rick isn't the greatest leader, he has plenty of flawed moments, but that's part of what makes him and the show.
    Same with book Rick, he makes plenty of **** ups.
    Whether he made any as big as trying to lead the walkers away instead of securing the pit like on the show?
    I would probably rate book Rick's biggest error in judgement agreeing to go to bat for the Hilltop against the Saviours without having any particular knowledge of them. Whether that will happen on the show, who knows.

9. jojo

jojo Member

I'll add this Rick had slim pickings besides members of his core group to go on this mission. People like Sturgis should've never left on the mission. All this happened in a matter of few days from end of season 5 to this one. Not enough time to fully train or partially better for "field" or combat ready. Or simple common street zombie smarts. Like don't run away from group.

And yes Rick is gonna need our support I'm 100% in support of him.

10. Heriot of Fire

Agreed. He only ever brought chaos and despair to his group.

11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

This here! Is why I do not like the comic book Rick. He is stupid, he is to fast to act, do not think. He do ride out the storm eventually but he ****s so much up. He is so cocky about the Saviours that he do not check their numbers. I hope it plays out diffrently in the tv show.

12. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

Well on the one hand yes, BUT did you like the story we got as a result of Rick's cockiness toward the Saviours?
    It was frustrating at times because Negan outmanoeuvred Rick at pretty much every step, but I loved the story.
    If Rick was a flawless leader, we wouldn't have got that story.

13. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

I think thats a little unfair, most of the bad people he's met have been relatively small groups of bad live people. When and if he finally meets a significantly sized bad force, he might be in for quite a shock. which may or may not be adequately shown in the comic. :)

14. RoboLives

RoboLives Member

:hatchet:Enough spoilers already, mark them as such

15. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Rick is a good, but flawed leader. He's put his neck out selflessly for his group and others many times over.

The criticisms of the Walker Parade are misguided in some people's opinions and fully deluded about logistics and resources in others - not a disrespect anyone either, we're just having fun talking about the show.

I am not saying the Walker Parade was the best course of action, but it also was not the worst, or close to the worst.

- Fortifying a barrier strong enough with that truck about to collapse is just too high a risk. Why? Because if your resources don't erect a barrier strong enough to hold them in(a big chance), you find yourself in a massive pickle with now a massive amount of Walkers fully aware to you.

- That's ignoring that the Quarry would keep filling up, no barrier is going to hold it as it reaches closer to critical mass.

- I've seen ridiculous assertions such as create a small opening and pick Walkers off one by one - okay, come on.... there's like 15,000 Walkers in there, what are you going to do with the bodies and how much time and manpower do you think this will take and don't you think this will also attract other groups of Walkers not inside the quarry.

- I've seen idea's to burn them after the opening is fortified(excluded that fortiying it is going to take loads of time). With what exactly? Waste all of their gasoline in an attempt to light them on fire - say it does catch a portion on fire - fire has shown not very effective in destroying them and what if that ignites some of the trucks and they blow up? Then you've got multiple openings... but this is really fantasy because they don't have napalm weaponry to light that many on fire, nor the gasoline and people have said using the wood from the surrounding area....

Lol, how much manual labor and time is that.

- I've seen suggesting to use explosives, either to dispatch walkers or cave down an avalanche of rocks upon them. They'd have to search for enough explosives and none of them are demolition experts. Likewise such an endeavor could destroy the quarry and open up the flood gates.

- Consider that Walkers en masse are very strong and can break through stuff. The wall they erected while leading the Walkers through that turn did not see the Walkers trying to break through it as they would a reinforcement they attempted to erect for he quarry. Those walkers were just bumping into it following the car and motorcycle.

Let's just put this silliness to bed thinking they had loads of alternate plans.. They were in a pickle and they made a quick decision that didn't take up much resources and at least had the Walkers concentrated instead of scattered about like they would if they broke out without direction...

Until the horn happened.

***Que in Morgan's wolf buddies.

16. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

I agree with the above post. They made it pretty apparent that the horde is going to get through any barrier that they collectively focus on. The only reason they didn't bust through the wall fortified by the RV is because they specifically set things up to keep the horde moving through that turn. They couldn't let them stack up against it or they would have tipped/pushed the RV out of the way. The real weak part of the quarry is the truck on the slope. Any attempt to fortify it or build something behind it would immediately attract the herd and they'd push the truck off the slope in an instant. The only option you could possibly entertain would be to blow the whole damn slope away but that is a ludicrous idea because we have zero evidence that they have any explosives and even if it worked exactly as planned who is to say that when the rocks settle it doesn't just form a new slope?

17. Craven

Craven Member

Yea but what about the part where Rick told Glenn and Michone to not care about the crew that they were walking with because all of them weren't going to make it? I don't blame Heath for having that attitude toward Glen and Michone. What kind of leader doesn't take care of his people and keep them safe. He just wanted to leave them to die. He's behaving more like Governor every episode. The only thing that's he's missing is an eye patch.

18. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

But it just seems so stupid and cocky. He should know by now to always be suprised. Hell the Rick in the comic is a even bigger loser than TV Rick. Atleast to me he feels much less of a warmachine.

Of course not, but acting like an jack ass even after so much experience gathered? Nah. Also I hated Negan in how ****ed up he was. He was fun yes but he was so out of this world and over the top. He felt like a Batman villian if they made a Gotham Anarchy Apocalypse or some shit spin off.

#18 Marc, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I thought Rick's plan to herd the walkers 20 miles away was stupid and perilous until a re-watch. When that truck tumbled into the quarry as they were discussing Rick's plan, he yelled "they're out; we have to do it now" or something to that effect. It wasn't clear to me why a truck falling from a road above the quarry would have let these walkers out. Nor was it clear to me why nobody seemed to know about this quarry full of walkers was there until now. It was just too big a jump from where the show was at the end of S5.

That said, if it was a last minute attempt to save ASZ after the quarry barriers really failed, Rick's plan was brilliant. But the show did not do a very good job of selling or explaining why nobody knew about these thousands of walkers before now.

Another thing I've noticed from talking to friends who are fans, but not necessarily addicts-- the six month break is devastating to fans who like the show but don't want to watch the re-run marathons ot surf the message boards. They're having a hard time following this season's story, with all its gaps. I think the show could benefit from a mid-season break episode or three that helps remind the non-die-hard but still like the show a lot viewers that helps them keep the storyline in mind.

20. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I don't agree. Why should Michonne and Glen go down with a ship with a small number of passengers that is unsalvageable -- when there are a lot more lives at stake at home and in the bigger picture? I took that scene as Rick saying he loved Glenn and Maggie and that- in the bigger picture of lives to be saved, you shouldn't sacrifice your lives to save the few when your life can save the many.

Glenn and Michonne didn't like that advice-- but look at the huge, huge cost of their (totally human) disregarding of Rick's advice. (and p.s. I don't like Heath anyway; he's a snoop, a nay-sayer, a drag and not a doer. ) It ticks me off that he survived and Glenn may not have - because Glenn would have been so much more valuable in life saving than Nicholas, Heath or Scott in both the immediate and long term future. Rick's advice and judgment was harsh, but this is war, and it was right.