Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick vs. Pete Fight was Crap!

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Try' started by Bourne, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Bourne

Bourne New Member

I have to vent. After seeing that Rick vs. Pete fight I'm convinced of two things: (a) the writers hate the Rick Grimes character because they never let him satisfactorily win a fist fight, and (b) they need new fight choreographers because the ones they have only know how to do choke holds.

Rick, being a hard-ass survivor and career police officer who wants (and needs) to kill that 'Gilmore Girls' character should have destroyed him easily. Size difference aside.

As soon as I saw a spoiler that there'd be a fight, I knew exactly how the writers and stunt people were going to make it go down. As a fan I wanted to see Pete have his ass handed to him....

2. Country

Country Member

Well Rick kind of got the upper hand and could have killed him easily but was then distracted by Deanna.

3. Cons72

Cons72 Member

Unless it is a fight where someone lands a clear blow and knocks the other guy out, that is pretty much how fights evolve. I thought they did a great job of portraying a more realistic fight and not a Hollywood fight.

4. Screaminleeman

Have you ever seen a "BARE KNUCKLE" fight competition? They are UBER RARE now-a-days. No fight fan in there right ming would pay a dime to see a worthless boring fist fight.

This coming from a Boxing, Muey Thai, Kickboxing & MMA fanatic!

If you are concerned about reality in a fist fight whatsoever, just a couple of facts to keep in mind.

1. Bare knuckle fist fights generally last no more than 30 seconds (IF someone is to get KO'd).
    2. Both the faces of the opponent and the knuckles of the punchers are busted up in one clean shot!!!!!!!
    3. Bare Knuckle fights cause broken hands resulting in NEITHER FIGHTER being able to continue the fight is the norm in this style of fighting. After 30 seconds, the remainder of the fight is two guys dancing a waltz!
    4. Hands have many extremely fragile bones easily broken in "fist fights". This is NOT a natural human defense, hence why the Cavemen learned to forge weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5. It has been EXTREMELY CLEAR to educated fight fans for a century that the more padding to protect the hands of professional fighters results in far more exciting fights. (A fighter with 16 ounce gloves and additional padding can throw a punch much harder without the constant concern of breaking their hand. MMA fighters CANNOT punch as hard as Boxers due to them having to work within the confines of 4 ounce grappling gloves!

Want to watch the most pathetic bare knuckle fight between two legendary MMA fighters, Watch Chuck Lidell vs Pele in Vale Tudo prior to his run the UFC. A couple seconds of hand strikes. Chuck trying to makeshift wraps for his broke hands to attempt to throw punches. Fight literally turned into Chuck repeatedly doing a NFL field goal kicker winding up and kicking Pele in the jewels over and over. . .

Real fight? One or two punches right into a grapple fest.

Only serious professional fighters really keep it standing and take fist protection into the highest level of significance!

There is a reason that the Police issue their officers service pistols rather that Boxing gloves to handle domestic violence cases.

5. Damaniel

Damaniel Member

*imagines a fight that escalates to a "Family Guy chicken fight"*

I was disappointed that Rick didn't pull a Glen and knock the guy out right away, especially after he dodged the first punch the same way. Although then we wouldn't have had the crazy, bloody, gun-waving Rick survival speech.

6. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with this more. That fight seemed way too reminiscent of other fight scenes. And why shouldn't Rick have been able to beat that guy down? Having survived in this tough world and being a former cop, wouldn't he have some fighting skills? How could you let a blubbering drunk that can only beat up a woman throw you through a window?

7. mfinley

mfinley Member

Unless Pete is a MMA fighter on the weekends, I'd have to agree that the fight was a bit strange.

An overweight out of shape doctor who spends his time drinking and lounging around for the last 2 years, probably hasn't been in a fight since grade school, versus a trained ex-police officer who's been on the road for two years killing people and walkers on a regular basis, has been known to bite the throats out of people...

You'd think that would be a pretty one sided fight.

8. rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour New Member

I was pissed at first and thought oh man not anothergovernor fight where I thought Rick could kick his a$$ with out any help. I agree with above statement though and with this fight believe Rick's face got cut up from the glass and nothing Pete did so it looked closer then it was.

9. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

I reckon I would've just punched that dr in the dick.

10. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Thank you. Unfortunately people have been conditioned by TV to expect a leaping,spinning Bruce Lee as the definition of a "realistic" fight.

11. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

As an officer, Rick really wouldn't have a lot of "fighting" experience. In fact, if there isn't a secondary weapon involved (taser, pepper spray, etc.) then an officer's instinct would be to get the person down on the ground and get them under control. In the ZA, Rick hasn't had a ton of one-on-one fighting. Sure he's done some badass stuff and killed a ton of walkers, but those don't really translate into fist fighting skills.

Granted, Pete's a little soft, but he's taller/bigger and got a better reach than Rick. Apparently he's been using Jessie as a punching bag, so he isn't completely without practice.

12. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

And in the porch

13. wolffe

wolffe Member

Have you ever watcched star-trek TNG, DS9 or Voyager? Fight scenes there are terrible. They all boil down to a character holding both their hands in a ball and smashing downwards on someones shoulders or neck, which apparently makes the opponent go flying and rendered immediately unconscious.

14. Rickshair

Rickshair Member

I thought the fight scene was good, and realistic. How refreshing to see fight scenes where the hero finds it hard to beat up the opponent.

After all, Pete is a good foot taller than Rick and is heavy built. What else would you expect, with Rick being so lean and short?

No offence, as Rick is still my fav character, alongside Daryl.

15. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Member

If there hadn't been an audience, I'm fairly sure Rick would have gone the nibble on Pete's jugular.

16. ella_k

ella_k Member

Well, I have never been in a fight and have seen a "fist fight" only 2 times in my life.. but they were very similar to what was portrayed on the show. Most of the fight looks like 2 guys spooning :zombies_lol:

Bf also said that real fights between everyday men are actually very boring to watch and nothing like Hollywood. :)

So well done TWD team for keeping it real.

17. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Actually i thought it was one of the better partss of last week's episode right up there behind Sasha's little breakdown.

18. Charmander

Charmander Member

I was watching the behind the scenes video and they wanted it to be as un-choreographed as possible. It was clumsy, and realistic. Loved it.

You should see a real girl fight. Just awkward hair pulling that lasts 10 seconds because neither one can move.

19. the walking jet

personally i was hoping/thinking rick was gonna give pete a "shane vs ed" type of a whoopin' but i did think the fight itself was well choreographed..

that said, it would be difficult to help tara if he were "half dead," so there is that..

#19 the walking jet, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  20. Screaminleeman

I agree, Hopefully this video proves it. The #1 & #2 undefeated women fighters in the world. Hopefully embedded video works. [video]https://youtu.be/7XxMEWto0Wk[/video]