Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Rick's Talk with Shane

Discussion in 'Episode 210 - 18 Miles Out' started by yuuyake, Feb 27, 2012.

1. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

After I saw this episode I thought there was a sort of agreement between Shane and Rick or at least some common ground to work with. I was seriously looking forward to a much less grumpier or insane Shane who would focus his attention elsewhere as opposed to only Lori. Has anyone saw the promo for the next episode? If you have continue to read please.

What did everyone think about the exchange between the two? I felt like it was a much needed discussion but Rick didn't seem to be giving Shane a chance to talk. As if he was telling to Shane to accept everything Rick said, and Shane didn't say anything and went kind of Passive Aggressive and then full on aggressive. I feel like Rick wasn't giving him a fair shot to hear him out. How do you tell a man, "You don't love Lori." He is going crazy, you never tell a man like that how he feels. You try to get him to understand it himself. I was hoping he was going to tell Shane why he didn't really love Lori but he didn't. I would be pissed too after that.

2. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

I think Rick gave Shane ample opportunity to respond in the first exchange; Shane chose silence. In the second exchange Shane spoke but was nowhere close to receptive to Rick's terms. That's two strikes for Shane in my opinion. Rick is clearly giving Shane the opportunity to abandon his unhealthy attachment toward his family... before he decides to treat Shane like and other threat in this new world, and dolls out the ultimate justice/punishment.

3. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

But did Rick really try to give an opening. Shane is the type to fester his emotions inside. When Rick states, "My Baby" and "You don't Love Lori" do you think that is a proper opening for someone like Shane. You could see it in his face, he had something to say. The best way that this was going to be settled was if Rick made Shane talk about what he was thinking. The fact that he didn't ask just shows why that altercation later happened. You don't tell a guy like Shane things he HAS to accept and not hear him agree to it.

I just felt like Rick, who should know him better, should have tried harder to get him to talk. Or at least say he agreed with the rules Rick was stating.

4. marsyao

marsyao Member

The drama is far from over between these two men. And do you notice that Rick did not start any drama on the death of Otis? Rick acted like "Do you do it for survive? Then no biggie", that is understandable, but poor Otis.

5. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

Do you believe in what Rick said? That if he was in the same situation he would have shot Otis as well. For some reason I thought he said it only to make Shane think he was capable of the same things, but I didn't believe he would actually do such a thing.

6. marsyao

marsyao Member

Rick will not do that for saving himself, but if he believe that is the only way to save Carl or Lori, yeah, I believe he would do that

7. Maggie

Maggie Member

But here's the problem. It is not a negotiation between the two men. If Shane says that's not fair, what Rick is going to say, well okay.. you can have them on Tuesday and Thursday and I'll get the weekends??

Rick didn't give him a chance to speak because it was non-negotiable. Lori and Carl are Ricks. Not Shanes. Period. Just cause Shane got some while everyone thought Rick was dead, does not give him claim to them now. It's like Shane is a sqatter and the rightful homeowner comes home. At that point, the sqatter gets his ass kicked out of the house.

Shane finally fully admitted about Otis, and Rick accepted it. Done and done. Fine.

The only other thing that struck me while I watching was that at one point Shane seemed to imply that he wasn't sure Rick was dead when he left him there. Did I misunderstand this nuance?

And lastly, I loved the comment from Rick that its time for Shane to come back now - fully recognizing that Shane's been on the edge, but that Rick believes in him and wants him to be with him.

8. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

I really like what Rick did with these conversations. He told Shane what he needed to do to stay with the group. If he can't, or will not do it, there's the road. They have been partners and friends for some time and Rick just doesn't want to give up on him. I get that, I really do, but I think that Shane sees what Rick is willing to do if push comes to shove. It's all up to Shane now.

9. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

I wanted to Thank you for this post but the thanks button has gone missing again. I agree with what you are saying here. I think Rick was more fair than he had to be. I loved when he told him he knew for a while and wanted to knock his teeth down his throat.
    But yes I was also wondering if Shane was implying that he wasn't sure Rick was dead. He said something like "I could barely live with it". Irregardless, now that Rick is alive and back Shane needs to back off. But he isn't going to and that will ultimately cause his demise.

10. boutte

boutte Active Member

Perfectly stated. I agree 100%

11. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

I really need to stop giving my opinion about where I think Shane or the show is going. I had previously thought that Shane was on a downward spiral and marching to his end. But... as you guys are saying, Rick gave him a choice. Called him out. Stop being a dick and you can rejoin the group. Shane fancies himself the best protector. Rick told him point blank that he had to let go of that fantasy and back off. I don't know whether he can or not now. I'm not sure I give much credibility to the promos. They are out of context snippets that are meant to titillate. Shane has a choice. I hope for Jon Bernthal's sake, he makes the right one. I think he gives a lot to the series.

12. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Simply PERFECT.

13. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

I did like how Rick gave Shane zero options - either fall in line or without hesitation I wouldn't think twice about killing you or anyone else to protect what's mine - My wife,my son and my unborn child. And after their bar room brawl so to speak how Rick made it clear that after the talk and the fight that he wasn't going to have this talk again.Seeing Shane's expression almost wounded in a way and seeing what kind of man Rick really as whatever he thinks or feels that Rick is a man to be reckoned with and if any dissension on his part may not be as easy as he thought. He will cause problems because he got knocked down a peg and probably humiliated in his mind and will still continue to talk out of school about Rick and cause problems. Guess what Shane that will lead to your continued undoing and let's just be honest here demise.

14. Maggie

Maggie Member

Maybe ... maybe not.

I think if Rick humiliated Shane in front of the others, then Shane would have cause to be a dick about it and continue to talk out of school. But He wasn't. AGAIN, Rick showed the man he is... took his best friend out away from the others to tell him:

A) I knew about you two. Long before I was told about it. And I did not like it.
    B) I understand what you had to do to save those you love, to save Carl. I will do the same things too.
    C) MY wife. MY son. MY baby. Deal with it.
    D) You need to come back now.

Shane is at a crossroads. He can either accept what Rick said (no matter WHAT Lori says... RICK is the one talking now and guy code says Shane should respect Ricks words more than whatever the hell Lori says), or he can leave. I HOPE that Shane steps up, and hooks up with Andrea - but truthfully I think Andrea will become Shane's Lori - or as one other poster put it.... Shane's Lady MacBeth....... I simply cannot see a peaceful resolution given the current personalities....

15. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Maggie, excellent synopsis. Your point that Rick took Shane out, away from the group, away from the car, to lay down the law is spot on. He gave him an option free from ego. And not to be too obvious, they shot the scene AT a crossroad. Now they both know the score. Everything is clean. But Shane has a choice. Come back to us and help, or continue as you are and be left to your own devices. Will Shane choose real love, honor and family over his own selfish desires? Like I have said before, for Jon Bernthal's sake, and our own, I hope he "chooses wisely".

16. Sydney

Sydney New Member

My

Truth to be told? There was NO talk between Shane and Rick. The only one talking was Rick.

And he told Shane:

-You DON`T love Lori
    -this is my baby
    -you have to follow my rules and accept everything I just said

How come that Rick decides what Shane is feeling or not feeling? I trully believe that Shane is deeply and dangerously in love with Lori. I even think he is obsessed with her. No matter if you like Lori or not, it´s the truth. And the unborn baby is making it even worse. And I have to agree with some others here. I think Shane started looking at her "that way" long before the zombies.
    Telling a man "you are not in love with her" and saying "that baby is mine", no matter what...that is not a talk. Rick simlpy stated how HE would like the situation to be (and Lori too). He even didn´t asked Shane.."why are you thinking you´re in love with my wife?" ect. Hence teh fact that Shane never said yes or no about accepting Rick as leader and rules maker.
    I can understand the point Rick is making. He wants to cool down his best friend. But I think he is only making it so much worse. Maybe I´m totally wrong and we see a more stabil and less Lori-obsessed Shane next Episode, but I would not bet on it.

My two cents? The moment Shane has the chance to kill Rick/leave him behind and therefore the chance to have Lori back (in his eyes), he will not hesitate.

English is not my native language, please excuse any wrong spelling. And I´m not taking any side here..truth to be told I think I like them all :zombies_lol:

17. yuuyake

yuuyake Member

This is also what I have been arguing. It's one thing to set up the rules between their relationship its another to completely force it down his throat without having him understand.

We all need to remember that Shane is going crazy. He is not going to look at what Rick said as a good talk because Rick was just doing exactly what was pissing Shane off from the beginning. Making Shane accept whatever Rick wanted without hearing Shane out.

I think in Shane's condition, the best way to have handled it was to get him talking. We all already know what Rick wants. Rick doesn't understand that what he left Shane were more options then just get in line or leave. It was get in line, leave, or kill Rick. Which do you think is most likely to happen in his state of mind?

I think the point of a talk is to hear each other's side. And we didn't hear Shane's side. Instead he went all passive aggressive until the fight. That is a sign that the talk didn't work.

Lastly what did everyone think Shane was thinking when he was stuck in the bus and he saw Rick sort of leaving him? I was kind of curious about that moment.

18. Roman'sRevenge

Shane won't kill Rick. Rick will kill Shane or someone else will. Shane is going to go back to his old ways and still obsess over Lori. Lori will talk to Rick and being that Rick gave Shane options and to either fall in line or get himself killed. Rick wants his best friend back but he doesn't have the trust he once had for him and that was obvious. The only reason Rick came back to save Shane is because he saw the two bodies of two dead LEO corpses.That made him think about the past and let him give Shane a chance and option.But Shane is going to mess everything up and betray Rick again.

19. slw2082

slw2082 Well-Known Member

Rick gets to decide what Shane is feeling or not feeling because it is Rick's wife that Shane is feeling this way about!! And I would have told the person too. Rick is telling Shane, Lori is mine, back off or suffer the consequences. Rick is being fair and just in the way he is handling the situation with Shane. Shane is just too far gone to see it. If Rick were unfair he would have left Shane trapped in that bus.

20. Roman'sRevenge

Exactly. Even when Rick was telling Shane to back the **** off and telling him that Lori was his wife and Carl was his son and the unborn was his and that he would kill him if he pursued past course. More or less. Shane lied to Rick saying he never looked at Lori like that before and wished he could take it back.He told Lori " it was a long time coming and to admit to how she was really feeling and what they had was real."So Rick was right all the way. I'm still waiting for the incident at the CDC between Shane and Lori to come out. If and when that secret comes out - I think Shane has already signed his own death warrant anyway.