Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Season 6, Episode 7

Discussion in 'Episode 607 - Heads Up' started by walkerdad, Nov 26, 2015.

1. walkerdad

walkerdad New Member

Hello AMC,
    I've heard you read the viewer feedback. I've been a devoted fan of the show since the beginning. With respect, you screwed up, royally. TWD has always helped me suspend disbelief and buy into the intensity of a real apocalypse. The loss of Glenn would have been a terrific blow, but far far worse is the ridiculousness which brought him back from the dead. I hoped these antics were beneath you. Now that I know they're not, I'm not sure how seriously I can take anything you put on the screen. In my mind, the show has moved two steps in the direction of Z Nation, which I consider a comedy. Your hard work in past years has led me to expect better. I know I'm not the first to give comments like this. Please make a special effort never to do anything like this again, and always, always, keep it real. Thanks for reading.

2. RarreKZ

RarreKZ Well-Known Member

3. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

You do realize you're talking about a tv show based on a Zombie Apocalypse, right? Why would you take anything seriously that's put on the screen? And as for "keep it real", are you absolutely nuts?
    This show is entertainment and nothing more. People who write on here expecting "reality" are out to lunch.

4. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

I don't have a problem with Glenn surviving, but the physics in this show are borderline unicorn magical. The van flip, the Alexandria wall supports, the way Glenn fell and did a 180 turn to have his head near the dumpster. That's what makes it hard for me to suspend disbelief

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This is a common misconception. Just because its a show about zombies, doesn't mean it has no rules. I agree with the OP, the show is depicted in a very realistic manner, which is part of why it is so popular. People feel like they could be one of the group. Much of what is put on the screen is taken seriously. The show has rules. For instance, when a walker's arm is chopped off, the severed hand doesn't still craw across the ground and come after you. We will never have people who are half human, half walker, like Cassandra. Aliens will never discover the TWD world and decide to take advantage of its vulnerable position and colonize the planet. The group will never discover a stash of Diet Dr. Pepper that actually tastes great.

We have definitely come to expect a certain level of realism and integrity in this show. A very high level in fact. Do I feel as strongly negative as this OP towards the Glenn fake-out? No. I wouldn't have done it had I been Scott Gimple, but I'm giving it a pass as long as its never repeated. If we start getting in the habit of fake-out deaths, then it cheapens the impact of every new death. I'm not a fan of the Glenn death, but I'm also not overly negative about it, and it has not tarnished the show for me. Let's just hope it is an isolated incident.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Wth shows like these ther's always a suspension of disbelief. Sometimes things are just a matter of luck.

I'm going to point out some real life stories vs Walking Dead storylines.

Story 1. I am a construction worker, wich is mostly a physical job. Once I was wording on scaffolding (Not a rare occurence, mostly it's 60% of the job.) So this one time I stepped on a rotten piece of floorboard. I didn't went trough, but I lost my balance and fell 5 feet down, head first. I broke my wrist. Seems plausible, right? You fall, you break something. It's realistic! WD comparison. The season 1 Camp attack. Walkers invaded the camp. Survivors didn't expect this. Ed, Amy, Jim and others got bit. It was a realistic scene.

Story 2. As a constuction worker, I go up and down ladders more in a week than some people do in a life-time. So this one time I went down a ladder. The second to last step I slipped, I didn't fall, my foot just landed the bad way, result: I broke my foot.. Bad luck. WD comparison. Season 6. Eastman defending Morgan from a walker/Wade's groupmember gotten bit by the walker stuck against the tree. Bad luck. No matter how experienced you are. Shit happens.

Story 3. I was once in a car accident. I was driving drunk (I am very ashamed of this, I don't even remember getting in the car, never did anything like this before, and certainly never did anything like this afterwards.) But I was in crash. According to the insurance expert my car rolled over at least 2 times. More than likeley 3. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt (I never do) The car landed on it's side, driverseat down. I crawled out, without a scratch. I could've been dead and I should've been maimed, but nothing. Good luck. WD comparison. Season 6.Glenn surviving the dumpsterherd. He was lucky he wasn't bit, but time and time again Glenn has proven to be one of the most (if not the most) resourceful guy around. But still he was lucky he wasn't bit.

You complain about the realism. Well luck is one of the most real things in life.

7. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I guess I get what you're saying.

I once used some slight of hand (and my best poker face ever) to prevent an auditor from noticing I'd left >$30,000 cash in a locked-open safe.

I crashed my bike one time. Moderate concussion. Lost my sight for two hours. But I made a full recovery both physically and

One time in my truck on an icy road I did an accidental drift across 3 lanes of traffic between a three car long gap between a police SUV and an eighteen wheeler. Ended up in a snowy bank without a scratch. Drove home.

I have had bullets go just over my head a few times. Once riding my quad in the country-- some kid was shooting a thumbhole AK without a proper backstop. One time was ricochets from probably a few miles away. I know it was bullets though, because one landed a few feet away from me in the pool. The other time a friend of mine had his little brother at my house shooting. Had a negligent discharge just after swinging his .22 past my head. Needless to say, I'm much more selective of who I shoot with anymore.

But we aren't talking about luck. We're just saying they need to find the balance between putting people into suspenseful/intense situations and keeping things believable. For Glenn's miraculous escape to work, the following ALL needed to happen:
    They needed to be next to the highest dumpster in the world.
    Glenn needed to do a 180 in midair so his head would be near the dumpster.
    Nicholas had to land on Glenn, and his blood had to cover Glenn so the zombies didn't see him.
    The herd (which is basically a force of nature) needed to a) not notice Glenn and b) get distracted and wander off.
    Glenn had to be capable of moving around and killing walkers from all directions under the dumpster.
    and he had to do it all without even a bite.

basically, while most of us don't consider it a shark-jump, it is definitely pushing the boundaries of what we're willing to believe. And keeping it a mystery for three episodes didn't help things.

8. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

I think most people understand this, but reading post after post concerning this death / live of Glenn did make me wonder if some viewers aren't missing a vital piece of comprehension... So I did want to clarify that just because they read the viewer's comments doesn't mean they then went and filmed episodes to match viewer's expectations of wanting Glenn to live, these episodes are all filmed long before they're aired so either Glenn was already dead or he had already survived even before we saw him fall off the dumpster.

They didn't air the episode about Nicholas and Glenn falling off...
    Came here to read viewer response...
    Then decided to let Glenn live and came up with some mockery of a scenario...
    That did not happen.

To my understanding the entire season is filmed before the first episode airs.
    Cheap or not, it was a done deal.

#8 8307c4, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  9. Berry

Berry Member

....unless they film TWICE! One scene if Glenn's ALIVE, and one if he's DEAD.. .then, essentially, the AUDIENCE has chosen which version is shown!!!!

Like the old "choose your own adventure" stories...

(I'm kidding, but thought it would be fun to say...)

10. Terminator

You're "giving it a pass"?? I bet AMC is very relieved to hear that.

11. Neuropyramidal

I had a feeling you would miss the point completely.

12. Terminator

No point missed at all. You take a tv show far too seriously is all.

13. Neuropyramidal

No, you totally missed the point.

14. Terminator

Nope.

15. Neuropyramidal

Keeping this argument going? You must be taking yourself too seriously.

16. Terminator

Nope.

17. Neuropyramidal

So, how was your Halloween?

18. Terminator

Once again, you make no sense.

19. Neuropyramidal

I take it you didn't get much candy. You went to the house where they gave you a bible, or dental floss?

20. Terminator

You really need to get better at this. Your attempts at witty rebuttals are feeble at best. Much like the logic in some of your posts.