Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Should Daryl have been stopped?

Discussion in 'Episode 807 - Time for After' started by Jen7, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

A couple of episodes ago we saw Rick physically stop Daryl from blowing up the Sanctuary and effectively cancelling the final phase of their plan; which would be the culmination of every step taken in the war and every lost life that has happened so far.

When Michonne & Rosita discovered what he was doing, should they have done more to persuade him to stop? This wasn't just a side job that was outside of the original plan, but crashing the garbage truck into the sanctuary would completely change the course of the plan that all 3 communities had worked toward.

I guess i'm surprised they didn't try a little harder to convince him, given how many others in Alexandria, the Hilltop and what's left of the Kingdom were unaware of Daryl's change of course. Granted, there was probably nothing they could do to physically stop him since both Tara and Morgan were also on board, but they just went home...

Whatcha think? Was it completely out of their hands?

Also, is there anyone out there who actually liked and agreed with Daryl & Tara's plan? No judgment, I'm just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I think it's completely reckless and stupid what he is doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

I'm a bit surprised to see Daryl acting like this considering his guilt after Glenn's death. But man he is damn near going rouge and has to be stopped if its not too late for a family member to pay the price.

And I agree with @Jen7. I spoke to the screen at Michonne to talk him out of it. She really should have changed her mind when Rosita did and they both could have tried talking him out of it. Maybe use Sasha's death as an example? But with him it probably would not have done any good. But she should have tried harder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

The only person who might have made him stop is Gimple and I am not sure that even that would have worked.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly! I just thought it was SUCH a huge change in the original plan and such a risk that they should have been a little more desperate to stop him like Rick was. It seemed everyone's biggest worry was the workers being able to escape and they didn't think about Negan & his lieutenants escaping.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Daryl and Tara are out for one thing...revenge. They don't care or don't think about the consequences of diverging from the oringinal thought out plan that would most likely have worked. They only see red. Like you said there was not much physically they could have done. Both Michonne and Rosita tried to talk Daryl down but I think both saw that he wasn't going to listen and was going to do this plan no matter who else was there besides him. He actually took advantage of Tara's grief to help him execute this dumbass plan. Michonne should have clocked him with a rock like she did Rick when he was being this dumb.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

Michonne actually wanted to stay and help. She said she just couldn't. Maybe she felt she was betraying Rick?

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that they weren't sure if he was right or not. Since they really weren't sure, they didn't want to stop him. In principle, his idea wasn't bad. They were basically waiting for either the Saviors to "surrender", or for the walkers to breach the Sanctuary. So Daryl was just speeding up the second possibility.

I actually would argue that allowing the Saviors to 'surrender' would be an even more dangerous plan. Then what? Sorry about the misunderstanding? See ya later? The question of what they could do after a mass Savior surrender is a big one. Sure, Rick would have killed Negan, but they'd still be left with a couple hundred or more people who had a grudge against our group. Many of them have lost family and close friends in this war.

The show might go in a different direction, but in reality, would we really want a pretty powerful group numbering in the hundreds, who want us dead, to just go about their business? Even Rick seemed to be resigned to the idea that they were going to kill them rather than have them surrender. He seemed to acknowledge as much when he bargained with Jadis about what percentage of their stuff they would take after they were gone.

So was Daryl's plan really that bad, in principle? No, I don't think so. The reason it was irresponsible was that he did it in rogue fashion, without the cooperation of the group. But if it had been a coordinated effort, I think it could have been an extra nail in the sanctuary coffin. I can understand Michonne et al.'s mixed feeling about it, and can understand why they felt they might want to bail, yet not actively stop it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

They didn't agree to it, so they knew it wasn't right. The plan was agreed upon by 3 communities only to suddenly be thwarted by Daryl in a garbage truck. I think it's obvious it was a bad plan, excluding Tara who is out for revenge, Daryl, who is also out for some kind of revenge, and Morgan who is lapsing back into his "Clear" mentality.

I took it that Rick was planning on allowing them to surrender, but killing Negan & his lieutenants while sparing any of the workers who cooperate. When he stopped Daryl from blowing up the sanctuary, he mentioned the innocent workers in the lower level.

I do :p Rick's plan is more strategic, and all people are accounted for because they are still trapped inside. We saw what happened when Alexandria was overrun with walkers...some people escape, some are eaten, and some remain trapped inside. Rick's plan was a more controlled outcome...if all went smoothly. Who knows, it may not have. I wouldn't be too worried about the workers living, because they were just doing what they needed to survive. They know Negan is a bad guy...they would just need to see how reasonable Rick's group is and they wouldn't be a threat. Now though, after seeing that Rick's group unleashed walkers on them, we are more in danger of them retaliating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Well, no, if they knew it was a bad plan they wouldn't have gone along with it for awhile. They had mixed emotions about it. I'm not sure that after a war where my group killed many loved ones of another group, that I'd be comfortable saying "eh, as long as they see how reasonable I am, they won't be a threat" :p

11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Ultimately they didn't go along with it though...because after they had a little more time to think it over they decided it was asinine.

They are workers, they aren't in the same mindset as the lieutenants...Negan won them over by giving them food & shelter, so i'm sure they could also be won over with a better life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

Not according to Michonne, who concluded "I really hope this works. I really do. I just can't do it".

The workers, sure. This part of the argument is tricky, because we don't know the blueprints of the Sanctuary, like Daryl and Rick does. If I looked at the blueprints and concluded that the workers really did have a good chance of sealing themselves off, I'd be okay with that risk.

13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

@Jen7 may not judge but I will be at the ready to judge 6 ways to Sunday ;)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

I agreed with Daryl's plan. The only thing was that he didn't have the full group support. Had they all been behind Daryl now war would be over and all the saviours would be dead.

I liked Rick's plan too but it had so many chances to fail and it was really just out of luck (and it being a tv show) that it didn't fail. Leaving the saviours trapped inside for days gave them so much time to find a way out. And I'm guessing the snipers didn't have all sides of the building covered or they could've stopped Eugenes original plan so that made no sense either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

Daryl doomed many people in ASZ by acting like a hot headed moron. Any blood that's shed is on HIS hands and HIS alone. If I were rick id' blow his brains out just to keep everyone else alive before he ends up killing them too.

16. Duce000

Duce000 Active Member

And maybe I'm being heartless but I just don't care if the workers had to die in order to complete the ultimate goal of taking out the Saviours. The war would be over if they all were on board with the plan of blowing a hole in the building and letting the walkers take them out

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Neuropyramidal

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying I didn't care about the workers. I'd care. When we stop caring about innocent people is maybe when we become the bad guy. But what I will say is that I'd put the safety of my own people before the safety of the Sanctuary workers. If I was given a choice between putting my own people at risk, and putting the workers at risk, I'd choose putting the workers at risk. But like I said, if I looked at the blueprints of the Sanctuary, and saw that the workers had a good chance of sealing themselves off on a second floor, I'd be okay with flooding the compound with walkers, if it meant security for my own people.

18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

For me it isn't even about whether or not the workers should die - it was just far too risky, and very careless of him given the fact that the plan was already in motion when he decided to go rogue. Everyone else thinks the plan is still going, and is getting into place. Sorry guys, Daryl couldn't control himself again and drove his garbage truck into the place. Did he learn nothing from Glenn's death when he also lashed out without thinking? What was the point of following the plan up to a certain point if he was just going to say the hell with it? Ugh the more i think about it the more pissed i get. lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Johnny Pees

Johnny Pees New Member

Clearly there are going to be some major deaths in the mid-season finale. It already is getting compared to the season 4 mid-season finale. Rick seeing 2 graves in the premier and Daryl losing control have setup something bad acometh.

Considering the caste is going to have to be cut and the boom is over. Future seasons are going to have a smaller, tighter caste. Probably for the best. Not sure Daryl is going to be part of that.

20. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

As viewers, we benefit from having a full hindsight view of whether this was a good choice or not because we see the consequences that other characters don't, but I ultimately disagree with Daryl and Tara. I really hope that Rick does not let this slide and this continues to widen the divide between Rick and Daryl.