Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Show has officially jumped the shark

Discussion in 'Episode 915 - The Calm Before' started by DavidDavidaon, Mar 26, 2019.

1. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

I've made posts on how the whisperers s a weak enemy before, mainly centred around the fact that they could easily be found in a herd with Molotovs (easily made from the heads (methanol) of alcohol from a still. Basic chemical weapons like acid, lye or quicklime. More complex chemical weapons like tear gas (which would possibly be in ample supply due to its ineffectiveness vs walkers), simple static traps such as punji pits or deployed traps such as caltrops (easily made from chain link fencing and will hobble anyone who steps on them) and a whole lot more could have been done to fight the whisperers.
    However even after years of fighting the best they can come up with is "watch their hands!" Which would significantly reduce aim and efficacy in a fight. As well as that the communities continued with a business as usual attitude rather than deal with the enemy at the gates.
    Even poorly trained fighters could hold their own against whisperer herds if they were in a pike (long spear) formation (possibly the most successful medieval military formation, requiring very little metal. A spear is also an extremely easy to handle (pick up a good long stick or broom handle and see for yourself, we've hunted with them since very early days human history.

Not to mention that since the whisperers live like animals they are probably suffering from many different diseases. Such as scurvy and malnutrition as well as infections from cuts and scrapes.and lack of hygiene.

This episode really jumped the shark for me. Seasoned fighters all dead. Henry vanished from the Kingdom only to find he's vanished.
    Seems like a cheap and quick way to kill off long standing cast members.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

How in the hell has this one slipped through the cracks?????

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

Also, (spoilers) when Daryl is getting spoken to by alpha he is on a cliff. Alpha is nearer the edge. Her shotgun is not pointed at him.
    Daryl has pulled off much more miraculous feats in the past than simply throwing someone off a cliff face.
    The whisperers weren't well received in the comics.
    Why would they be well received in the TV series.
    As I said, it's got to the point of jumping the shark. Every season after the prison has sought to one up the last one and now we're left with scenarios so unrealistic that even with the usual "zombies, suspend disbelief" doesn't work.
    Half a season based around how the communities coped when Rick destroyed the bridge (which is shown only in flashbacks) then maybe a short whisperer introduction, season cliffhanger and next season ending would have tied things up better. Definitely not perfectly, but better than wonder woman/captain marvel zombie edition who can completely change her apperance with some makeup (where did that come from? I thought this season was supposed to highlight scarcity) and a hat covering someone's scalp.

I mean, firstly Alpha is a woman, she is physically weaker than most men. This is a fact, not sexism. Daryl could have easily overpowered her in a fight.
    She is a poor leader and kills her own people because she is upset. She teaches her people that the strong kill the weak yet beta is about 2 times the size of her and he hasn't taken her place.
    She breaks her own rules when it suits her.
    She won't even accept being challanged, she has to cheat.

Alpha would have been eaten by her own pack a long time ago. The fact that even Daryl didn't try anything when he was alone with her simply shows that TWD is going down a bad route and the ratings support this.

Skipping over the whisperers arc entirely would have been the best choice from the directors, cast could be cycled out in other ways to fit TWD's new "soap opera for men" angle.

As I said, the Negan arc had some believability to it; one large community extorting many small communities with a leader who was harsh at times, but also saw the value in certain people (Eugene; for example) and treated them well.

The whisperer arc involves a community of nomadic zombie worshippers who have decided to attack the four communities just because. Their leader is bad at her job, she could have simply moved on. It's been almost a decade since the outbreak and nobody has sought to depose her. As I've said, this is unbelievable. Negan fed his people and treated officers preferentially, he was a populist and knew exactly which strings to pull.
    Alpha however runs an anarcho-communist dictatorship. This would not work.
    As for the "kill the alpha" leadership chain, she would have had her throat cut in her sleep by someone wanting the power she has/d.

#4 DavidDavidaon, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

And with Alpha dead, he'd just have to stroll back to where Beta and the Whisperers have his friends held captive. Seeing Daryl return alone, Beta would burst into tears and surrender at once. The remaining Whisperers would throw themselves at Daryl's feet, worshipping him as their saviour. At no point would anybody (Beta, for example) grab Carol and threaten to cut her throat unless Daryl surrenders, and while he's thinking about that none of the Whisperers would sneak up behind him and bring him down, and none of the prisoners would end up on additional spikes.

I like your style, do you write for anything currently broadcast (or available on DVD)?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I did think about that scene where Daryl and Alpha were standing on the cliff looking over the massive herd. They were only a metre away from each other. Daryl could jump on Alpha, especially there was a few seconds where Alpha turned her head away from Daryl to look at the herd. But, if Daryl killed Alpha, then Carol+Michonne+Yumiko would be dead. I do not think Daryl would risk the life of his friends.

Having said this, just do not estimate Alpha. She is female and is obviously weaker than Beta. But, I bet her fighting skill could not be shameful. I imagine, before Beta arrived (assuming Beta started to join the group sometime after Alpha formed...or, perhaps, Alpha did not start the Whisperers but she joined as a nobody and then challenged the then-Alpha and killed him/her and became Alpha herself), she dominated the group with her own skill (most likely including physical strength and fighting skill). One example, when she killed the whisperer who saw her moment of weakness, she stabbed so swiftly and accurately. But, I would still bet Daryl can take her down on an one-to-one fight.

8. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

I understand the complaint about Daryl not killing Alpha on the cliff, but let's be real... Actions have consequences and patience matters.

Just because Daryl CAN do something doesn't mean he SHOULD. He could have and DID punch Negan in the face in the season 7 premiere and that immediately got Glenn killed.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but Alpha sparing Daryl et al. is genuinely realistic.

Also strength isn't just measured physically. Alpha has demonstrated that she is ruthlessly cunning, a strategist, and all around sadistic. She OBVIOUSLY knows what she's doing for her to lead, manage, and provide for hundreds of cult followers that live among thousands of the dead.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

When you feel the need to underline that what you're saying isn't sexist, or racist, or homophobic, it generaly is. Just saying.

I can't find your post where you explained why Alpha (and Beta!) would have spared Darryl and the other fighters. To me, makes no sense. Especially Darryl, who've confronted them quite a few times now.

As for consequences, as I've said elsewhere, Darryl has absolutely no way of knowing if the others are still alive or if they are being skinned to death, and Alpha just told him she's been in the Kingdom, and he doesn't know either who's alive there, she even speaks of her daughter in a past tence. He has a choice to make: going back as a captive with the others (and they're all still captive and defenseless) or trying to be the one free warrior from our group, a position from which things can happen. The only way he goes for the first choice is knowing Carole and him have bullet proof script armor. Otherwise, the better choice is to get free and eliminate the head of the snake.

10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Throwing it out into the universe....

We saw Alpha shed a tear over Lydia choosing to live within a community rather than stay with the Alphas group. Granted her love, and I use that word loosely, is rather twisted and bent in regard to Lydia. I think in that moment though she does feel sadness at having her daughter choose practical strangers over what Alpha sees as their family (dysfunctional for sure)

I propose that Alpha spares Daryl (and the others by extension) because she believes that if there is anyone in the communities that will try to keep Lydia safe it is Daryl. He has proven to Alpha that he will go to great lengths to safeguard her (albeit the first save was a bit begrudgingly). While she may not be 100% convinced that he can be successful she knows that he is Lydia's best hope within those communities.

Also, in the past Daryl was quick to assert the knee jerk reaction method. Seems that in the past 6 years he has matured and is more willing to take a cautious approach in an effort to determine possible consequences for his actions. Will that always be the best route to take? Maybe not, but it is certainly better than lashing out at your aggressor in a fit of rage and get your best friend's head bashed in.

If Alpha's plan all along was to kill Carol, Michonne and Yumiko it would not have mattered if Daryl killed her while on the cliff. But if Alpha had no intention of killing them and Daryl would have chosen to kill her then that would have certainly sealed their fates

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PepperAnn

12. NakedCity

Of course. He was being an ass for no reason with someone who had an absolutely valid opinion about Darryl's decision making.

13. PepperAnn

Lmao ok just making sure. :D

14. NakedCity

I'll take Dave's slight sexism over jigger's superiority complex anyday and I don't think that's proper forum etiquete to greet newcomers with that kind of reaction when you disagree with a valid positon. I feel pretty bad that there's a whole lot of regular members who encourage him being pompous like that, the doctors will have to double his meds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PepperAnn

Yeah but do you not see his point too? I think Daryl is being a lot more proactive this year as opposed to his reactive stance in many seasons past.....getting some of his people killed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

When realization sets in that I am now defending Daryl and his choices
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. NakedCity

Absolutely, and I replied to GrungeMan who has a similar stand, plus I can appreciate Dnae's effort to explain Darryl's decision (even though I think it's taking an unnecessary chance). I just think there's other ways to communicate with people explaining their position in good faith.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

wait........
    [​IMG]
    Are you saying it is an unnecessary chance for Daryl to take OR is it that you are saying it is an unnecessary chance for me to make an attempt to explain something?????

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. NakedCity

Ahahahahh, no no no darling! (and love the gift)

As I said in my post just above, I think Daryl took an unnecessary chance in trusting Alpha. Most likley, she would have killed them all. He just pushed Beta down an elevator shaft, there's no way he's going home alive if it wasn't for his script armor. The only thing to do, IMO, was to get rid of Alpha and to try to free the other captives, and not to return kneel down with the others. He knows how that ended with Negan.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PepperAnn

LOL Daryl. At least that's how I read it.