Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

So who's better at life?

Discussion in 'Episode 511 - The Distance' started by Ed Dim, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Screaminleeman

I would have lost interest in fighting zombies 24/7/365 and would have long abandoned Rick's group and the Atlanta area, to test the great white north theory.

That being the case, I would choose the Alexaderites. They have enough of "whatever" our group has x 10 to have a setup where they live in comfort.

Like Michone told Rick, the "fight" keeps you warm and alive, but it turns on you.

I am so M.F ing mad that the concept of freezing temperatures effects on the zombies that Rick discussed with Shane in the first season has never even been seriously considered!

I mean WTF? If Zombies basically go into a state similar to cryogenics, can you imagine how easy it would be for 100 humans to take out millions of Zombies during the winter months? Walk up to their de-animated frozen bodies and wack the frozen skull with a hammer with zero danger involved 4 months out of the year.

FOUR SOLID months of shutout ball thrown by the Human race at the frozen Zombie mass and the ZA is solved.

For all we know, there is ZERO zombie issue in Canada.

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

That's funny. I always thought it would be better up North too. With all the snow we've been getting walkers would be immobilized making it easier to kill them unless they were completely buried. Then if survivors were dressed in down jackets, heavy wool coats etc. it would make it harder for walkers to bite through. The human threat would always be there though and summer eventually arrives.

As for temps in Virginia, I don't know if they get consistantly cold enough weather to make the theory workable although if we continue to get weather patterns like we have this winter, who knows.

3. bluesfan

bluesfan Active Member

yep and don't forget beard tested too.

4. sam12six

sam12six Member

No, never. A buddy keeps trying to get me to watch it, but I'm like, "Zombies?!? That's just dumb."

Which in Georgia means 10 minutes (at most) from a town of some sort. You weren't thinking they're in Montana or Wyoming, were you?

Yeah, those herds of zombies that prevent all travel. The ones that are impervious to weapons, quick and smart. Why, if Rick & Co. weren't able to teleport it would have been a single episode about a guy starving to death in a hospital.

1. OK, what about roads that aren't 85?
    2. So? With 3 people and a tractor, you can clear miles of road (or make an alternate route) a day.

I know. I've often thought what a shame it was that the zombies drank the hundreds to thousands of gallons of gas and diesel found at any gas station. That they ate the millions of brand new, fully operable vehicles sitting at dealerships was just salt in the wound.

You're right. I take back my statement that they should have sifted through the ashes of Woodbury for supplies (or would if I'd said anything about getting stuff from Woodbury).

Yes, it's terribly dangerous. That's why Daryl wasn't out doing it constantly.

Beth's boyfriend couldn't have been a victim of the Beth Black Widow effect where any character who expresses an interest in Beth finds himself a zombie chew toy inside of 2 episodes...

He died because dropping a wine bottle will cause the building you're in to collapse. I thought everyone was aware of this, but apparently some people haven't been carefully setting down wine bottles their entire lives (new 9/11 conspiracy theory?)

And yet their entire concentration on defense amounted to stashing a couple of guns with ammo and leaning shit against the fence...

There are more zombies on the fence daily. They hang around long enough for the kids to name them. Apparently, being too lazy or stupid to spend 10 minutes each morning killing the zombies surrounding their home, they instead did... well, from what I can tell, nothing.

They're not living like pioneers. They're living like prisoners.

Yeah, I hate how I have to call an engineer to push the start button on my generator and plug my appliances into it. It really sucks that a non-engineer with average intelligence can't spend 10 minutes with a book and learn the basics of setting up a solar system or how to operate a welder.

Again, I apologize that I suggested murdering groups of soldiers instead of heading to the nearest armory and commandeering the tank.

You're right. The way they welcomed Michonne and Tyreese's group with open arms did bring a little tear to my eye. I've also always found the 3 questions to be a message of hope, what with the way people would honestly tell them they've killed dozens of people just because they're psycho and shouldn't be a part of any group (as opposed to lying).

You're right again. When life has seen fit to bless you with the intelligence of a reptile (that the other reptiles all know is a little on the slow side), all you'll do is hang out in your little territory and wait for food to walk by. It isn't waiting to die, it just looks that way to anyone who is smart enough to seek to improve the situation (if he or she were in that situation)

I'm judging nothing by its cover. I haven't read the comics and am not one of the people talking about how great things will be and how the group will meet Jesus soon (see what I did?).

I'm saying that if they had made (what I would consider) minimal efforts toward improving the prison, it would have been totally zombie safe and that a single tank and handful of infantry wouldn't have been enough to run them out of their home.

Like I said, I understand that they didn't want to break the show that way. It's just silly to say that how they lived at the prison is the best any group of average people could have done. What I think is that the writers should never have let them take refuge in such an easily fortified and defended location (but this would probably have brought hate from the comic readers if it differed from what they did there).

*** On the frozen zombie theory ***

It's conjecture - maybe right or maybe wrong, but it'd be silly to pack everyone up and head to Canada to find out. Just call an engineer to plug a chest freezer into a generator for you and then toss a zombie in. If it can't move the next morning, a move to the Great White North might be in order...

#24 sam12six, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Sneaky zombies just hide under the snow.

[​IMG]

6. sam12six

sam12six Member

Here we go again with the gratuitous homoerotic content! :zombies_censored:

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

:zombies_lol: Point taken. Here's a more family-friendly gif of Nazi snow zombies pulling a man apart:

[​IMG]

I don't know if it would be any safer in Canada. Zombies might be slower, but so would people. It's pretty difficult to run through/on the snow. Considering zombies' body temperature is already low, at what temperature would they freeze?

8. sam12six

sam12six Member

That's kind of what I was saying. It's all conjecture. Since zombies shouldn't exist at all, you can't make any assumptions about how something should affect them. For all we know, they're all hyper allergic to lemon juice and sprinkling it around your base will create a barrier that causes them all to drop dead as soon as they encounter it...

9. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

That is awesomely gory!

10. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

Who's better at life? Well it might have been the ShireWilts, but any well structured well defended community might just come up against a band of desperate survivors thats want it more. Maybe Rick and the gang at Hershels were unlucky with the herd, and maybe unlucky with the governor at the prison, and maybe the Alexandrians have so far, been lucky. But maybe they are clever enough to know they've been lucky. It's a lot of maybe's but hey, its a TV show and unlucky gets the ratings.

11. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Member

Life means something very different now compared to before the virus. There's virtually nothing they can take for granted. They have to recalibrate what and who they're living for. Who do you primarily live for yourself? For your family? Community? Chances are that no large scale society will reboot during their own lifetimes, so probably not much point dedicating your life to anything too ambitious. If you just live for yourself or a small group, attrition will whittle that down fairly quickly. Just disease and accident, let alone walkers and other humans. I think communities develop around leaders. So whoever has the best leaders are probably the best bet for surviving.

• Like Like x 1
  12. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Easy son. It's certainly your prerogative to feel that the main protagonists in this drama were lazy, stupid, unimaginative and ineffectual while they were at the prison. I occasionally go WTF too. Like you pointed out though, this is an adaptation from the comics. The writers have already determined the story arcs so we can't really blame the characters. We probably view the show through different lens. I don't consider it a manual on how to survive the ZA. I'm more engaged with the interactions between the characters and the overall plot rather than whether or not they were properly fortifying and or supplying/remodeling the prison . I was totally into what they were doing there. Since neither of us are comic readers, we'll just have to sit back and see what happens at the ASZ. I'm actually a bit curious as to whether or not our group has reached their Shangri-la...and you can kvetch about all the things they're not doing right.

13. sam12six

sam12six Member

Thanks honey. I was aware that it's my prerogative to notice what the characters are doing.

I have a limited ability to suspend disbelief, so I'll not be blaming the imaginary people. As I said, the writers chose to put them in too potentially strong a position that could have broken the show. To pry them out of this strong base, they chose character stupidity as their vehicle to allow a few zombies and a small assault force to chase them out.

Then why were you insisting that they'd done this great job turning the prison into a secure home with a vibrant community? I wasn't arguing that they should break the show, just taking exception to your characterization of their stay as a productive one. The fact that they were such idiots advanced the plot.

I'm curious as well and look forward to your proclaiming any idiot moves the characters make to be the best they could do under the circumstances.

14. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

It's possible you're confusing "better" with "luckier". Everything you posted about ASZ also at one time applied to Terminus and Shirewilt. But then they each came across the wrong people. And I'd argue if not for the bad luck of having the community closest to the prison being run by the Governor, the group would currently be safe, well-stocked, clean, and fortified.

15. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Agree completely. The people of Alexandria don't seem to possess any particular skills other than having been in the right place at the right time. Of course that doesn't mean that Rick's group is innately better either, they were just molded by different circumstances (think of what Carol was like in season 1, would she be who she was now if she started out, and was still in, Alexandria?)

As to where one would rather be? Alexandria, without a doubt, unless it collapses and you're suddenly on your own! Who would want to suffer the things that Rick's group has?