Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Some craziness

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Feb 28, 2017.

1. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. The point is that we shouldn’t put any individuals into a group out of context. Any group can douche up creating consequences. We mustn’t ignore what started a conflict in an attempt to point out the inefficiencies of another. Anybody can be a instigator and anybody can over react. We need to stop pitting one group against another, and hold individuals accountable in each instance. Thats the key to moving forward. Eliminating the “Us vs them” mentality. Left vs right. Were not enemies. We’re in this together. Lets act like it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I must have been out in the sun too long. I seem to remember not too long ago you were espousing that very idea as concerns people of a certain race. Threw the baby out with the bath water. At least you seem to have come to your senses.

Concerning law enforcement as a whole, there appears to be a whole lot of rotten apples, not just those two in the Colorado
    story. What’s encouraging though is that the tide may be changing in that certain behaviors aren’t going to be tolerated. The blue shield is cracking, and that’s a good thing, IMO. Qualified immunity needs to go away so that every man or woman who wears the badge knows they have no excuse for acting unprofessionally, although I believe, hope, that the majority of officers behave honorably,

3. DeadZedHead

Its not about the volume, its about the impact. These incidents have a strong influence on the people following these events. Some (or their lawyers use them use them as a justification for future events. Thats the point Purr is making. If someone me get away with driving into a group of protesters, others with use that as justification. Left and right is irrelevant. We cant let dickheads hurt people with impunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

#6144 Sharpie61, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

My point would be having one case increasing to 2-3 per year is still just that 2-3 per year. That's nothing compared to the toll of gun violence - from a societal perspective. It's obviously still a tragedy to the involved families either way.

6. Morgotha

And how much more so with guns? I *never* said anyone should be let off after ramming someone with their car, but there's no way the impact on society is even close to the impact gun (or knife) violence makes, and the same similar argument applies there: Why shouldn't a criminal use a gun if no big deal is made about doing so?

7. Morgotha

Let's see, there are roughly 1 million police officers in the US, and roughly 8 million young male members of a certain race, so to make things equivalent, we need to multiply the crimes committed by the police by 8 to make things equivalent. After doing so, do "the police" commit anywhere NEAR the amount of robberies, murders, and rapes as the young male members of a certain race? NO!

If you want to be fair, and you disparage "the police" based on the behaviors of a few of them, then by that same token you should be a raging racist when it comes to the young male portion of a certain race. If you are NOT willing to condemn the young males of a certain race, then in the interest of fairness you have no right to criticize the police based on the actions of a few of their members.

Yeah, you should probably go inside and hydrate -- or at least be consistent.

8. Morgotha

It's a terrible thing when some nutjob acts out. No argument here.

It's nice the article said the suspect was a "white" man. Since there's no evidence I can see this had anything to do with race, we needed to know his race because...

9. Morgotha

10. purriwinkle

The problem with your analogy is that one group is comprised of trained professionals who are supposed to be using their special privileges to serve and protect the public. We have no idea how many officers have abused their positions over the years since it has only been recently that some of them have been
    held responsible. We can thank police body cameras, and citizens willing to record officer’s actions and bring them to the attention of the public, and what the public is willing to put up with.

The other group are people who are just living their lives, not practicing their profession. They are regularly held accountable for any misstep large or small, often times not in proportion to the offense committed.

I may need to hydrate but it seems to me you’re the one who isn’t consistent.

11. Morgotha

Those trained professionals didn't come from the moon, they are your next-door neighbors. The point is that you are SAFE with a police officer compared to a random person you meet on the street -- especially when compared with certain subgroups of our population. There is NO justification for saying things like "the police are bad", "ACAB", etc.

12. purriwinkle

People from other races are also our neighbors, who by the way, didn’t come from the moon either. Anymore, I feel the average person’s chances with the police are about as fair as they are with a random person. Depends on the person of course, but rather than say the individual police are bad I would say the police culture is what’s bad and needs a revamp.

https://theweek.com/articles/979098/toxic-culture-american-police

13. DeadZedHead

The problem is that the police aren’t robbing people. They are beating and killing people with weapons the average citizen doesn’t commonly have. In broad daylight, on camera, with impunity. I couldn’t beat a man with a stick, kick him in the head, have the video on the news and get praised by half the country. Not all cops are bad but don’t pretend it isn’t happening on a large scale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DeadZedHead

15. Morgotha

What baloney. Well, let me make sure I have your POV correct. For example, say your car breaks down and for whatever reason you have to walk through a dark alley at night in the city and a couple of men start approaching you in said alley. You're going to react to them just the same as you would if it was a couple of police officers approaching you? I doubt it. At least I hope that's not the case.

Double baloney. The police don't walk up and randomly and beat up and kill innocent people as a common occurrence. Do they have to detain aggressive suspects? Absolutely. That's their job. When you look at all the incidents that make the news, in almost every case the people the police use violence on were people suspected of committing a crime who refuse to obey the legitimate authority of the police and/or out and out attacked the police.

The police HAVE to detain suspected criminals as part of their job. If some aggressive man doesn't want to be detained and fights them, what are they supposed to do? Let him go and perform more criminal acts against the public?

Personally, I'm thankful that the police are as professional as they are given what they face on a daily basis. Are there bad police officers? Of course, just like there are bad members of every other profession. Is the police force the CAUSE of the problems with the criminals they face? NO. Overwhelmingly, the fault lies in the criminals' behavior, not that of the police.

16. DeadZedHead

Wow! That guy should be banned from speaking to officers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. purriwinkle

If you’re talking specifically about me, first off I would never be in an alley at night with a broken down car. But if I lost my mind and found myself in that sitch, I have triple A which I would call first, not to mention any adult man in my family who would come out to help me.

Again, if I was crazy enough to leave my vehicle and start walking, it’s entirely possible that two approaching police officers might start barking orders at me which at my age I might not comply with fast enough and they might shoot me. Hah! Who am I kidding, I’m white and can pull off a good Blanche DuBois if I have to, lol. They’d most likely help me. I can’t say if a person of color would be afforded the same treatment.

#6157 purriwinkle, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  18. purriwinkle

IKR? Killology? That guy has got to
    Be some sort of sociopath., IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Morgotha

20. Morgotha

A case in point. A cop is just standing there doing his job when some sociopath comes up and shoots at him. The cop fires back and the "suspect" dies. That's not a cop using weapons on citizens, that's a cop defending his life from a violent criminal.

"
    A woman in Michigan who authorities say shot at a Flint police officer at a traffic checkpoint during a parade on Juneteenth and was struck when the officer returned fire has since died at the hospital.

Michigan State Police is investigating following the officer-involved shooting that happened at approximately 2:14 p.m. Saturday in the city of Flint. Officials identified the woman as Briana Sykes, 19, of Flint.

A preliminary investigation revealed that an officer working a traffic point for the Juneteenth Celebration Parade "was fired upon by a lone occupant of a vehicle who drove up to him," the Flint Police Department said in a press release.

The officer returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to a local hospital, police said."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-police-officer-ambushed-juneteenth-parade-traffic-checkpoint