Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Someone say heathy food?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by frawniemae, Sep 23, 2015.

1. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

@H5N1 and @TheWalkingHorn both put a bug in my ear about a healthy food thread so....here it is...

Back in January I went for my yearly cardiologist appointment. When I stepped on the scale and saw the numbers that popped up, I was devastated. I knew I had gained weight but OMG! That much??? So at the end of my appointment, my doctor did his usual spiel about how if I were to lose some weight my life span would likely be lengthened, my risk for heart problems would be reduced and I could very probably avoid knee replacement surgery that was looming ahead of me. He suggested a particular diet and clinic in the area and gave me info on both. I researched this diet and my first thought was "There is no way I could do that. I would starve!" but here I am, 9 months later, 112 pounds lighter and with a new outlook towards life and food. Not only have I lost weight, I have learned how my body uses the food I put into it. I studied Nutrition in college, and got my Dietary Supervisor Certificate from Auburn U. I've worked food service most of my adult life whether in a nursing home or school setting but I never practiced what I knew until now.

I am not well versed in the scientific aspect of how this particular diet works except for the fact that carbs have to be limited in order for your body to burn fat. So..I limit myself to between 25 and 40 grams of carbs a day. Keeping in mind that one slice of whole grain bread contains about 24g carbs, that gives you an idea of just how limited this diet is. I consume a minimum of 4 cups of vegetables a day; these include, but are not limited to, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, rutabagas, zucchini, crookneck squash, radishes and tomatoes along with all types of dark green leafy veggies like kale and spinach. All lettuces are unlimited (I can eat as much as I want through out the day) as are cucumbers and radishes, raw mushrooms and spinach. I eat NO pasta, rice, breads, potatoes, carrots; no cereal or grain products, no nuts (except for the occasional peanut butter powder I may add to a protein drink) and no dairy products. I use extra virgin olive oil to cook with. I take in between 6 and 10 ounces of a lean protein every day. This may be in the form of whole eggs, boneless and skinless chicken breast, pork tenderloin, sirloin steak, turkey, lean ground beef (I grind my own so that I know just what is going into it), salmon, tuna, mahi mahi, swaii, and catfish. Others eat shrimp but I can't due to allergies.
    In addition to the veggies and protein, I consume 3-4 protein packets that I purchase through my clinic although I do use "alternative" products such as Quest bars and protein drink powders, Pure Protein, and Kays Naturals that can be found in most health food stores and online.
    I take in between 800 and 1000 calories a day. A sample of my daily food intake is as follows:

B Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino drink mix, collagen powder (helps keep skin elastic)
    L 2 cups shredded green cabbage, 1 T Walden Farms Pear Balsamic dressing, Healthsmart Vanilla drink mix blended with spiced chai tea and ice
    D Pork Stir Fry with 8oz pork tenderloin and 1.5 cups mixed cabbages and .5 cup mushrooms, small spinach and cucumber salad
    S Ideal Protein butterscotch pudding made into a mug cake and topped with Walden Farms marshmallow dip and caramel sauce

Before this lifestyle change I was a carboholic to the extreme. Popcorn was regularly consumed, my menu was full of rice, potatoes, pastas...and portion control? What the heck is that?? It took about a week of low carb intake before my body adjusted. I suffered headaches, fatigue, even a little nausea but it was my body going through the withdrawals of my addiction to the carbs. One I made it past that I started seeing my skin improve, I had more energy, my joints hurt less and over all I just felt so much better.

I'm not at all sure what you had in mind for this thread to be about but this is my story and I'm sticking to it! I have a little less than 50 pounds to go before I hit my goal weight. That number may change once I get to it and see how by body feels.

I will add that other than walking a bit, some light weight toning exercises and just recently I dusted off my recumbent bike, I have not exercised while losing this weight.

Not sure if this is what Melissa had in mind but there it is. I'll do my best to keep this thread visible and share some recipes and meal plans if anyone is interested.

It is never too late to begin a new relationship with food. Don't let it control your life. YOU control what goes into your mouth.

#1 frawniemae, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

This is amazing! Also, I didn't know you were a war eagle. It's ok, I still love you. :p

I'll add to this later, doing some lesson planning right now. Wah wah.

3. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I had a burger yesterday.

Like, it had lettuce on it, and lettuce is good.

4. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I ate what I thought was part of a potato chip off the floor the other night, but it turned out to be a toenail.

6. Neuropyramidal

Congrats on your weight loss btw. You should start wearing a top hat otherwise you will seem to disappear when you turn sideways. :p

7. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

Well, I guess toenail could be a healthy food, it probably has some fiber.

8. Neuropyramidal

No doubt. I will ask it, it is actually still stuck in my wisdom tooth.

9. frawniemae

Not quite sure what food category toenail falls under...maybe protein... and thanks for the compliment on my weight loss. I'll keep the top hat idea in mind...

10. Neuropyramidal

You better!! Try getting through customs with a rabbit, without a top hat. :)

11. frawniemae

It was through a correspondence course so I dont think that counts...I'm a Longhorn by heart - 3 semesters at UT win out over any certificate... :)

12. frawniemae

This could be a problem...of all the things I purged from my kitchen, I kept my butter! I use it very sparingly! Very sparingly....

13. frawniemae

I still eat burgers, just not the bun. Wrap that sucker up in romaine lettuce leaves and call it good!

14. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I gagged.

15. Neuropyramidal

Try a portobello mushroom burger. Fry it with water instead of oil, and top it with steamed spinach, fried onions, and 50 calories worth of cheese. Use a low calorie English muffin as the bun. You have yourself a 'burger' that is a total about about 170 calories [less than most side salads], which combined with some green beans will actually fill you up.

16. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

I was waiting for some sort of joke, but there was none. This feels weird.

17. Neuropyramidal

The standing joke is that you are infatuated with a peacock that promotes veganism. :p

18. VickGrimes

Back to not understanding what you're talking about, I feel better now ;)

19. VickGrimes

[​IMG]

I haven't eaten a carb in 2 weeks #Andypalooza2k15

20. Neuropyramidal

When on a diet, its all about low calorie, high volume. If you buy low calorie Wegman's wheat bread [35 calories per slice], and pile it with 60 calories of Wegmans turkey cold cuts [about 6 slices of meat], plus lettuce, tomato, onions, and plenty of banana peppers, you have yourself a fairly massive sandwich, which combined with grapes, will fill you up at lunchtime, for a total of 200 calories. This is about the same amount of calories in 2 tablespoons of ranch salad dressing. ;)