Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Stranger Things (Netflix Original)

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by PepperAnn, Jul 17, 2016.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

WOW.

If you haven't heard or seen this yet, get on it. I watched a preview before Netflix released it and it intrigued me. Then I finally started watching today. (I think it just released). And I'm totally impressed.

It's set in the 80's. With 80's soundtrack music and hit songs here and there (yay!) and the build up really works. Starts a couple of episodes slow but after a few of them it really kicks in. Has a Donnie Darko/E.T./(a few other movies) feel to it.....and really draws you in after you endure the classic "missing persons" drama at the beginning.

LOVE IT.

Had to stop after watching the penultimate eppy. My body and mind are going into a state of delirium and I won't absorb the finale so I'm practicing will power and stopping now. Will watch the finale tomorrow but yeah, please let there be a season 2 Netflix gods.

2. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been hanging out for this one! Will start watching it tonight! (it's currently midday Monday here)

3. PepperAnn

Haven't gotten around to the finale yet. Probably wont watch til this weekend, which means I'll probably rewatch the second to last as well. Very good. Let me know what you think.

4. Walker97

Walker97 Active Member

I had a few different FB friends talk about how good it is...one went as far as saying it may be the best show Netflix has ever produced...

House of Cards, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Orange is the New Black...That's a lot of great competition for best Netflix shows ever. Hope he is right. Watched first episodes and think I am seeing a fairly predictable conclusion to everything already, so I hope I am wrong. Moving this week, so will probably be watching it fairly slowly over the next month. I also just started watching Oz with my HBO Now account...

5. PepperAnn

I wouldn't go as far as to say "the best" but it's definitely good in my opinion.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I watched the first 4 episodes over the weekend. Its good but not great, and I think if someone goes into it hoping its the best Netflix original, you'll go away disappointed. But it was just entertaining enough for me to keep loading the next episode to see what happens. Personally, I think all the banter between the kids is annoying lol, but the point of the show is to give it a 1980's Goonies type of feel, and I suppose they are succeeding. I'll probably watch the remaining 4 episodes this coming weekend. Its true that it is headed down a pretty predictable path, but perhaps there is still a twist. :)

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying it, although yeah, it does seem like a mashup of E.T., Goonies, Stephen King's Stand by Me and Firestarter, etc., etc. But despite it being derivative, I'm loving all the '80s references. I have two episodes to go, and am sad I'll have to wait who knows how long for more.

8. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I got through 2 episodes last night. I really like it so far!

Love the 80's nostalgia!

9. PepperAnn

Sigh.

10. Neuropyramidal

haha, no one mentioned the quarry yet!! That is none other than.....dun dun dun....Bellwood Quarry, where, in another universe, a truck fell, unleashing thousands of zombies on the world.....

;)

11. PepperAnn

I looked this up since I wasn't sure if you were serious or not...imagine that ;) and it mentions that it was the same quarry used for TWD in the summer of 2010 which suggests the quarry in season one obviously. Did TWD peeps use the same quarry for both season one and six?

12. Neuropyramidal

Actually, now that I think about, I think it was just the same quarry as the Altanta Camp quarry. I think the First Time Again quarry is Vulcan Materials quarry.

13. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Yep, I recognized it as the camp quarry right away, and later, the quarry where the multitudes of dead were accumulating.

(This is probably mentioned elsewhere as well, but the pickup site for the angels going to hell in "Preacher" was the same location for Saul's pickup in "Breaking Bad".)

14. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

btw, I'm really really hoping they decide to do a season 2 for Stranger Things. I haven't even completed watching this season yet (am at episode 5) and love this show. Winona Ryder is great, as is the sheriff. And you have to love those nerdy 80's kids!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cavedeth

Cavedeth Member

Another one to add to the list....

16. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw that quarry I was sure it must be the one from season one TWD, but then realized there might be many quarries that look like that... Been meaning to look it up!

Oh just double checked it is indeed the same one, although I think you two (N and @PepperAnn) pretty much confirmed it already. As soon as I saw it on TWD I had to look it up and google map it because it's so amazing! I want to go there... But not with my husband because I'd have to spend the whole time trying to convince him not to jump off the cliff :p

edit#2 - because he's crazy and likes cliff jumping, not because he hates life lol, just to clarify

#16 Hedwig, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  17. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Was decent. I'm not really big on kid protagonist for the most part but these kids didn't get on my nerves. I give it a B+ and will checkout the 2nd season if they go ahead with it. My wife liked it a little more than I did.

18. jackson04

jackson04 Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Doppelganger:zombies_shocked: ​

19. Neuropyramidal

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Ghostbusters references for the win!

I loved the first season and while I'm looking forward to season 2, I'm also kinda preparing myself to be let down. Stranger Things was more like an extended length film and in that sense, sequels have difficulty in living up to expectations. The Duffer brothers(creators) have stated in interviews that they are perfectly aware of these challenges and they also seem to understand what makes successful sequels work, they even listed off a few good examples that they look to for inspiration, but it's still going to be an extremely difficult task to make this sequel expand on the existing story while still pleasing the audience at the same level. Fingers crossed that they can capture lightening in a bottle twice....