Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Governors notebook

Discussion in 'Episode 305 - Say The Word' started by eem, Nov 12, 2012.

1. eem

eem New Member

The notebook Michonne found when she broke into the governors place, the one filled with names and ends with Penny and then pages filled with squiggles, what do you think it means? I'm really curious about this notebook but I don't understand what the names or the squiggles means!

#1 eem, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  2. Pharris

Pharris Member

It is a metaphor for his psychological descent. Like the novel in 'The Shining' - "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy..." over and over and over again. No sane person would do that. At least, not without cut and paste in MS Word. Then its easy to do.

3. marsyao

marsyao Member

This is a list of people Governor lost, the last one in this list is his daughter Penny, after her death, the Governor lost it, similar with Rick's reaction when he heard Lori's death, this explains the squiggles in the notebook, and no other names are written after penny.

4. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Rick is stronger, however, and comes back to himself. Weakness of heart and mind are the only differences between most heroes and villains.

5. marsyao

marsyao Member

You can say that, before Penny's death, every death in his group hit the Governor hard, he wrote down their name in his notebook to remember them, after her death, there is no new name adding into this list, this tells a lot about the Governor.

6. RDZ

RDZ Member

I agree with what has been said in general and I also think it means he could no longer write down any more names (just keeps writing slashes) as he just can't bring himself to admit fully that Penny is dead. He can't bring himself to add more names so he just keeps filling it with slashes.

7. theNextmrsGrimes

theNextmrsGrimes Active Member

You beat me to it!!! I was just going to type the same thing!!!!:zombies_lol::zombies_lol::zombies_lol::zombies_lol::zombies_lol:

8. zombiekilla

zombiekilla Member

My take on the scene that at, as Penny was the last he that he entered was people that mattered the most to him as he had a personal connection with them. Maybe the tally is maker in that matter is the dead are only numbers to him .... They don't not matter and leaving them name less makes it seem less personally involved and expendable. I see the same parallels with Glenn wanting to burn the dead and bury family....

9. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

Looks to me like he was counting something after Pennys name.

What was it though ? days? numbers of zombies killed or spotted? brushes of her hair?

It was too high of a count to be days (maybe hours or minutes with out his daughter)

Maybe that's the number of times he has thought of his daughter.. each day he tries to recall how many times he thought of and marks his journal... I could see myself going that style of crazy if my daughter became a zombie.

10. Pistachio

Pistachio Member

I thought the same about it being days. But that's obviously too high. Hmm.

11. kenmicjen

kenmicjen New Member

Sorry but you are quite wrong there.. Not your fault though, as you haven't read Robert Kirkman's book "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor". It is basically about how he became who he is. It is quite the journey.. Anyway i'll tell you why you're wrong. But if anyone intend to read this great book.. This will be a spoiler (not for the show i believe):

^ If you're a fan of TWD, and don't intend to read the book.. You should read this :)
    And if you don't, well you'll be missing some interesting facts about the Govenor and his "daughter"..

If any of you are readers, i definitely recommend this book. "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor". There is also another book i'm about to start on, "The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury". Should be interesting.

Oh also, Penny died before the Governor found Woodbury. She was shot.

#11 kenmicjen, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is not true.

Rise of the Governor is set in the comic universe and canon to the comics. It is not connected to the show in any way whatsoever.

TV Governor seems to actually be Philip and none of the backstory from the book is true to the tv or at the very least it has big differences.

13. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

i think it was a notebook to keep count how many days penny had been a walker.

14. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

It was how many People he'd witnessed Mcleod kill.

15. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

Never understand the notebook and the squiggles.. first I thought he counted the days of the ZA. But when I saw how many it were and the fact that 'Penny' was bold and underlined I thought It must have to do something with her. Still not knowing what.. maybe we'll know in Season 4 or maybe it is a gab we will never understand.

16. kenmicjen

kenmicjen New Member

Yea i guess you might be right. When i was reading it, it just felt more like the TV series universe instead of the comic books.. Like one guy says:
    Still though i think you are right. However, it is an interesting possibility, to me at the very least..

17. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting and pretty cool imo but it's been creator confirmed to be in comic continuity and it doesn't even come close to fitting the show's continuity. Gov. being Brian, No Merle, No Milton, Bruce, Gabe, Alice, and the doc exist, The 3rd book actually covers the exact comic events from the Gov.'s point of view.

How does that feel like show continuity?

18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...

[​IMG]

19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

the gov has some feminine handwriting.

20. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Its interesting that the novels have nothing to do with the show, yet the first 3 names are Brian, Bobby, and Nick, from the novel. I think this was just a nod to the novel, so nerds like us can recognize it and mentally high five ourselves.