Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Green Room

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Morgotha, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Where to start? My daughter and I have been doing covid movie watching at home, and she wanted to watch something akin in quality to "Evil Bong" (which she has imperiously declared a cinematic masterpiece, LOL), and this came up. The synopsis on Netflix was something like, "a punk rock band takes a gig at a neo-Nazi camp in the woods and things go wrong", so needless to say, my expectations of the movie going in weren't that high.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The movie starts out with this down and out punk band siphoning gas to get to a gig, which nicely tells you a lot about their success without being overly blunt about it. I was expecting the band members to look, you know, "punk", but they were more or less normal looking, which was surprising. (I'll spare you the side story)

Anyway, they play their first gig and end up getting like 6 dollars at the end, not even enough for them to buy the gas it will take for them to get to their next gig, when they are told by someone they sort of trust about a well-paying gig out in the country, but that it is run by a bunch of white supremacist types. These guys are down on their luck enough to where it sounds like a good deal, though, so they go. One thing one of the band members asked their sponsor what these people's beliefs were and he responded that they were "far right, or ultra far left if you want to be technical about it". I liked how they showed that at the far ends of the spectrum things tended to blur in to each other.

Anyway, they get out to the venue, and if you had to imagine what a bunch of skinheads gathered in one place would look like, this is probably what you'd imagine. The venue manager was professional though, and asked them about their gear and other questions like that, and made it appear it was a real gig, and it was, just with an unusual clientele. LOL, the band members wanted to make some point (which wouldn't have been MY first priority in that situation) and their first song was a cover of some song like, "die Nazis die" or something like that, and I was wondering how long it would take before someone in the audience started shooting at them. They didn't, though, and by the end the headbanging audience seemed to like the headbanging band. All was well and good, the stage manager gave them their money and they were going to leave without incident... until one of the band members realized she forgot her cell phone in the green room and one of her bandmates went back to get it and discovered the scene of a person having been murdered there during their set.

Now the band can't be let go, and are put in the green room with the body and a guard until "the boss" gets there and decides what to do with them. The weird part? Patrick Stewart plays the boss! I guess the movie had a higher budget than I thought -- or else Patrick Stewart has some serious personal problem or addiction -- but I digress, and he does a good job in what is a different type of role for him.

Now many things happen with the band trying to get out of the room, and the baddies trying to kill them in such a way that it could later be explained to the police without suspicion falling on them. It's very violent at times, so be warned. I liked the way they had the bandmates acting the way real people might do when faced with such a situation and they didn't all magically turn in to Rambo when things went bad. Also along the way they broke through the floor of the room and found a basement (without an unlocked way out) that was filled with bottles of chemicals, likely for making drugs. The only thing I really gritted my teeth over is that when they really *knew* they had to get out and were going to make a break for it, they didn't just open a bunch of the bottles up and soak the basement in organic chemicals then light it on fire on their way out. The big baddy was *really* concerned with his club, and lighting a big fire might have let them escape, and if nothing else would have alerted the authorities that there was something amiss out there. They didn't, though.

Anyway, after another violent series of events, the surviving band members escape, and exact some revenge on Stewart. The other neat scene is that a poisoned attack dog returns home in the end to die with his dead master (a soulless jerk) proving once again that even a "bad" dog is better than some of the people walking around out there.