Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The implications of Gabe's Illness

Discussion in 'Episode 807 - Time for After' started by Neuropyramidal, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Comic spoilers dead ahead!!!!! If you don't want comic spoilers and continue to read, remember.....the napkin is for wiping your face...the toast is to gobble on, and the salt shaker is not usually edible!

So those who have read All Out War in the comics know that the Saviors' 'secret weapon' is arrows [not bolts...they are arrows, Dwight] covered in walker guts. Once you are stuck with a dirty arrow, the fate seems to be certain death, similar to a bite. No one tries antibiotics, no one hopes you will get better....its a death sentence.

However, Gabe, who is sick not from a bite, but from exposure to guts, either introduced into a small cut or wound, or other orifice, doesn't appear so far to have the same death sentence. He is sick, yet talking about the future [helping a possible escape with Carson], and Carson is talking about wishing they could get meds for him. This is not the behavior we usually reserve for bite victims.

So in TWD Television universe, is a non-bite walker infection, such as exposure to guts through a wound, NOT a certain death sentence? Will this change the saviors 'secret weapon'?? OR, is something else going on with Gabe??

We've never seen a person die from a non-bite walker infection. Big Tiny was scratched by a walker bone, but no one waited around to see the outcome. He was killed immediately.

#1 Neuropyramidal, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Could Gabe have an infection that hasn't gotten into his bloodstream and that makes the difference? I am just guessing, since an arrow would actually puncture the skin.

3. Neuropyramidal

Its possible they will play it as some sort of local infection [or just never explain it]. Carson is worried about his organs starting to fail which is what you worry about with sepsis, meaning the infection has spread to your blood. But time will tell, I suppose...:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

There is an interesting theory that I think originated from Reddit about the possibility of irradiated walker guts (with Gabriel suffering from radiation poisoning).

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead...g-dead-father-gabriel-death-continuity-error/

5. Neuropyramidal

Not impossible, but I'm kind of doubting it. Negan and Eugene used the guts from the same walker, so if it was radiation contamination I would expect Negan to be suffering too. That tends not to discriminate. Whereas if Gabe had a cut somewhere [not surprising that he might have a wound somewhere, after the fight, and failed Gregory rescue, followed by Negan throwing him to the ground pretty hard], he could have gotten an infection, while Negan, with no wound on his body, was spared. But they could definitely play the radiation angle if they want to. I just don't see it playing out that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I saw another theory about those walkers who killed Shiva - someone thinks that because of the holes in their clothing and the bleached out area surrounding the holes, someone dumped an acid/bleach mixture on them lol.

I just looked at the pics of Gabe & Negan and the guts could have soaked through their clothes but they don't have much skin showing...maybe he has a bacterial infection. Those walkers must be teeming with bacteria.

7. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

8. WrongAboutCarl

WrongAboutCarl Active Member

Gabriel will die from the infection, and this will be part of what motivates Eugene to help Dr. Carson escape.

9. WrongAboutCarl

WrongAboutCarl Active Member

Also, I know they sort of used Sasha for it, but what if

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

The problem with the poisoned arrows (bolts) is that the show has already established that walker blood in an open wound doesn't cause harm.

The first one that comes to mind is the walker Rick shoots inside Alexandria. His head blew all over the multiple wounds on Rick's face.

Michonne got walker guts in her mouth.

There have been other instances but basically, on the show, we have seen walker innards come in contact with wounds and open parts of the body.

At best, they can say that *some* walker guts can have health issues, but obviously not every time you are exposed will you get sick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

First off, irradiation is commonly used to sterilize things, including blood products, so irradiated walker guts should be a good thing. Irradiate them all!

In order to have radiation poisoning, wouldn't Gabe himself have had to be irradiating something with a machine that went kerflooey?

Secondly, we barely have boomboxes and yet people are irradiating walker guts? Anything is possible on this show, but this would surprise me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Neuropyramidal

No, it should not. The projectiles aren't defined by the weapon that shoots them. The vast majority of modern crossbows actually shoot arrows. Most archer experts and magazines agree that if it has feathers, its an arrow. Here is what a traditional 'bolt' looks like:

[​IMG]

Retailers still market them as 'bolts' sometimes, but the vast majority of what they are actually selling are arrows. Other enthusiasts claim that anything with feathers are arrows, but if they are under 16" then that type of arrow can be also called a bolt. Either way, Daryl's crossbow shoots 20 inch arrows.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/master-class/2013/06/bolts-or-arrows-which-correct-crossbows

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

Yeah, I am skeptic as well, albeit the interesting approach of creating radioactive zombies lol. I agree with your earlier post about them potentially not explaining what is even happening to Gabriel, so I am worried that whatever in-show conclusion is drawn, it would ultimately contradict the show's previous episodes if little to no logic is given to viewers.

A few good examples were mentioned above, but one that sticks out to me was I think 3x06 when Merle shot Michonne in the leg before she got covered in walker guts (or after?).

Like you said, they might try to spin the narrative that "some" people occasionally will get sick from the guts strategy (which could be a valid route for them to go), but that does feel underwhelming and dissapointing. Nick's experiences on Fear also really undermine this, given probabilty would not be on his side and yet he's never fell ill.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

One route might be if they forgoe the irradiated angle, but instead just use a generic chemical explanation.. Maybe their guts' toxicity is high? Could maybe increase the amount of bacteria and it's potency as well because of how the rotting process is altered. That might be a little more doable.

Chemical waste might come off better than radioactive waste, but not super confident on that!

15. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Classic crossbows fires bolts then. And if you google this, there comes up the same shit for crossbow arrow and bolt. The crossbow today is not really using feathers either. Not real feathers atleast.

16. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Hardly the distinction with a difference though?
    Real or not the idea is the same.......unless you are the bird maybe.

#16 EZD, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Chemical waste! That could even give him radiation exposure, I suppose, if there was something like radioactive medical waste in those barrels. I like the chemical waste angle, GMan.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

This is probably boring but it just seems like he has an infection from the bacteria that he was exposed to - as a way to get him to Dr. Carson to further this story along about his attempt to escape and bring Dr. Carson back to the Hilltop. I'm not thinking they'll go into depth about radiation or anything like that...BUT, i'm wrong a lot so...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Neuropyramidal

It uses what are called feathers and its called an arrow.

20. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

To be correct they are called arrows if they have Fletching which can be feathers or synthetic feathers but they are the Fletching either way.

Bolts have no Fletching and resemble,well,Bolts.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1