Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The radio broadcast

Discussion in 'Episode 509 - What Happened and What's Going On' started by Camilleyun, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Can anyone clarify what was being said? I caught some of it, tried to stay up for the 2nd viewing but fell asleep. I heard the term "the Republic" and a group of rebels that had taken up a resistance, and East Coast. I thought it may be some sort of foreshadowing or warning, but also read that it was just a recap from Ty's perspective of everything that had happened?

2. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

It was actually the story of our great and powerful savior, T-Dog.
    [​IMG]
    Rest in peace sweet prince.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daryl's Owl

Daryl's Owl Member

it was a synopsis of what the group has been through up until this point, painted under the guise of one of the radio shows Tyreese's dad would listen to in the car when he was a kid

4. offrope

offrope Active Member

The radio played 5 times. Here's what the announcer said:

1. At least 68 citizens of the Republic have been killed in 4 deadly attacks along the main coastal district. The group has continued their campaign of random violence moving across the countryside unfettered with the Republic's military force in disarray.

2. ...then terrorizing the villages by night carrying out revenge attacks involving hacking innocents with machetes and in some cases setting them on fire.

3. just static

4. channels changing, static, morphing into Beth singing.

5. (in car) There have been troubling reports of cannibalism having broken out in refugee camps along the Republic's transportation corridor. And despite a string of victories by rebel forces, there are disturbing reports of increasing brutality of their tactics, including the wholesale destruction of villages, burning down local prisons, targeting of civilians and even the widespread mutilation of children and young mothers. This seems like only the beginning of their campaign that they label as an endless war against.... [at that point Tyreese says "Turn it off"]

I watch (and record) with closed captions, so this is transcribed from the CC.

#4 offrope, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  5. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Plus, that's Andrew Lincoln's voice.

6. offrope

offrope Active Member

The captions don't mention that, so I didn't know. Usually the captions are pretty good about pointing out things like that.

7. SZQ

SZQ Member

It was confirmed on Talking Dead to be Andrew Lincoln's voice.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I don't think the producers told the closed captioning people that it was official Andrew. It was something we were suppose to figure out.

9. lis5112

lis5112 Well-Known Member

I miss him! And where in the hell is [MENTION=8823]Johnnie Walker[/MENTION] ? I haven't seen him or [MENTION=8978]Cheria[/MENTION] in ages!

10. Montyzuma

Montyzuma Member

I assumed it was BBC reports about atrocities in Africa that Ty had heard as a kid.

11. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Cheria appears to have left us after Beth died. I've seen JW around once or twice now

12. DreamWalker

DreamWalker Member

Oh boy, this references in the Radio are awesome.
    It's exactly explaining what Rick's group did (victories by rebel forces) and what situations they faced (cannibalism).
    And Ty heard it on the Radio because he was struggling with all this the last season.

I couldn't exactly hear what was said in the Radio during the episode. But now that I read the text I love the episode even more.
    Genius Episode!

13. Lolly92660

Lolly92660 Member

I didn't interpret the radio broadcast the same way at all! I assumed it was Ty (already having been bitten) hallucinating an explanation for what might have happened since the ZA broke out and how Shirewilt and other places he'd seen had ended up destroyed. Aside from the obvious cannibalism reference, most of the rest of the broadcast was only tangentially applicable to Rick & Co. or not at all applicable (the coast, a Republic, rebels, burned children, etc.).

No, I see it as him remembering past radio broadcasts his father made them listen to and seeing atrocities that happened in other parts of the world being reflected around him. Not direct correlations, but general carnage and destruction. Someone mentioned it sounded like something the BBC might have reported about a war-torn area of Africa. And when we hear those stories, we usually think of them happening in "primitive" third-world areas, and now Ty is seeing the same sorts of things happening in the Good Ole' USofA. Just too painful to contemplate, so he tells them to turn it off. Unfortunately, that's not within their power.

14. Johnnie Walker

Johnnie Walker Well-Known Member

Sadly, Johnnie is working and he hates that. There was a time when poor Johnnie had a work who allow him to connect to internet everyday. But those glorious days are gone. I'm not Johnnie, I'm his ghost who lives in happiness planning evil thangs.

15. Lian

Lian Member

I was wondering about that broadcast too.

What Republic is the radio talking about ?
    (Beside some saying it was Rick's voice, it DOES sound English to me.)
    (English as in UK, not USA English.)

Any more details or answers on that ?

16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I think it was an interview that Greg N gave, the area in question (radio broadcast)was about Rwanda.

17. Lian

Lian Member

So no 'sneak peek' to some part of USA declared to a Republic ?
    (Zombie/world aftermath ?)

18. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear Member

guy hate played Ty got lead on new show

19. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Afraid not, according to Mr. Nicotero's interview about the episode.

The above is from this link:
    http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/02/all-th...y-have-missed-in-this-weeks-the-walking-dead/

#19 Dnae, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015