Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Strain

Discussion in 'Horror TV Shows' started by tink, Jul 11, 2014.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Start Sunday night on FX. Anyone planning on watching? It looks creepy and cool.

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

To me, Guillermo del Toro's films are visually fantastic, but plot and character wise, they fall short. So I probably won't be watching this one.

3. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll be watching it, looks interesting..

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, looking forward to it!

Seems as if it's going to be about the VA (vampire apocalypse) rather than the ZA. ;) Has anyone read the novels or comics? I have not, so I have no idea what to expect other than the little bits of info I've read in preview articles.

5. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Carlton Cuse(Lost, Bates Motel, upcoming US version of The Returned) is the showrunner

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'm going to give it a try. Sundays are so packed now. The Leftovers, Falling Skies, The Strain, The Last Ship [The Last Ship is borderline ;)]. Other than seeing a few ads during commercials, I haven't really researched anything about this show, so I'm going to go into it basically knowing nothing, and see where it takes me.

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

So...that was pretty good. It didn't pull me in immediately, but it got interesting by the end. I like the way it reimagined Dracula's journey by ship from Transylvania with his boxes of earth. I also like the Van Helsing-like character played by David Bradley. I'll keep watching to see where it goes.

8. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I watched it and liked it. It looks like it might have potential. Was slow for me when introducing the CDC guy at the counselors office but got better.

9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Agreed, I could have done without the counselor's office scene, but it definitely pulled me in by the end. I will keep watching.

10. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

What's with the unhappy marriages in all these shows? CDC guy has problems with his wife in the Strain. Rick on TWD had problems with his wife. The sheriff on The Leftovers has problems with his wife (she left him and joined cult). Is this the stereotype that has to be added to every show?

11. Neuropyramidal

I think its actually more refreshing than seeing a happy sappy marriage lol.

This show was interesting. Glad to see Walder Frey is in the mix.

12. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

It took me the longest time to figure out where I saw that guy before.

Now tell me why the one wife ran off to join the weird creepy cult ?

#12 JEA13, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  13. Neuropyramidal

I can tell you, but only after you agree to chop down a large tree with your bare hands, take a vow of silence, give up your old life and all its possessions, and eat nothing but butt flavored porridge. ;)

14. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Only if you also tell me why the cult people insist on smoking and not talking.

15. Neuropyramidal

There is something regarding 'breath' surrounding that cult. They held up signs saying 'don't waste your breath', which seemed to me more than just trying to tell them the parade was a waste of time. It was about using your breath while talking, maybe? Maybe the smoking ties into that. We'll see as time go on....;)

16. Zaniac70

Zaniac70 New Member

Started slowly, but by pilot's end, wife & l were pretty engaged. Its like the Freddie Krueger of TV shows, bastard son of a thousand genres: you can see the Walking Dead, X-Files, Outbreak, Species, etc etc. We shall see.

17. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't really good or bad.

18. TexinOhio

TexinOhio Member

Not bad, not bad. I'll give it a couple more weeks before I decide to keep on or drop it. Hope it's over by October, cause I don't have a DVR and once TWD is back all other shows are gone to me.

19. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I liked it.. Will definitely watch again next week.

I was trying to figure out who the old man was during the entire show!! Walder Frey!

20. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

it was okay. ill keep watching and see where it goes. from all the promos for the last few months i was honestly expecting a bit more.. but like i said it was interesting enough to keep watching.