Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Strain

Discussion in 'Horror TV Shows' started by tink, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I watched last night's episode "The Born".

The title describes the mysterious vampire we've seen in previous episodes. His name is Quinlan, and he is a half-human, half-vampire, with a serious grudge against the Master. Quinlan is centuries old, having first come to the attention of folklore as a gladiator in the Roman Empire. There's a nice homage (or rip-off) to the Oscar epic Gladiator, where Quinlan eschews his Maximus style helmet, and rubs dirt on his hands and arms.

In present day New York, Vasiliy and Dutch go to her apartment to pick up some things. They discover that Dutch's girlfriend Nikki, is alive and hiding in the closet (oh, the irony). Nikki accompanies the two back to the warehouse, but Vasiliy is none to happy about it.

A wounded and exhausted Eph somehow manages to get back to New York. He has a few drinks at a bar, returns to the warehouse, tells Nora that he's failed, and falls asleep. While this is going on, I'm thinking that the fate of humanity rests in the hands of a drunk. :zombies_censored:

Abraham and Vasiliy go to a Stoneheart factory and discover the resting place of the Seekers. Bodies of the rejected Seekers and their blind canes litter the floor. Several Seekers attack Abraham and Vasiliy, but they're killed by Quinlan. Quinlain is impressed that Abraham was able to severely wound the Master, but tells him to stay out of his way. Quinlain vanishes in search of the Master, with Abraham close behind. Vasiliy leaves to get dynamite to blow up the factory in case they fail to kill the Master.

The Master—in his new body—confronts Quinlan, and they both trade insults. They're just about to fight when the dynamite Vasiliy set up explodes and collapses the roof. The Master and Eichhorst escape again; but where did they go in broad daylight?

This would have been a great episode, but Palmer and his new secretary Coco Marchand, got it on.

3. Funion The Baba

I believe the saying is "I just threw up in my mouth"

4. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Palmer went cuckoo for Coco's "puffs".

5. Rapscallion

That was the most disturbing moment in the show's history. I actually changed the channel.

And Coco's cuckoo for Palmer's checkbook. I think she's a coldhearted bitch who thinks she's hit the jackpot.

6. Funion The Baba

After seeing her nearly nude, I might do the same!

7. Rapscallion

Recap of last Sunday's episode "Intruders":

We start out with a creepy scene of Eichhorst helping Kelly apply makeup, contact lenses and a wig so she can walk amongst humans and kidnap Zach.

Nora sees a news report that CDC director Barnes was found dead on the train tracks outside Washington D.C. Nora presses Eph for details but he's dismissive.

Eph asks Vasiliy where he can illegally buy a rifle. Vasiliy gives him the name of a black market dealer named Wu.

More disturbing scenes with Palmer and Cocco; I actually watched the wall and hummed until it was over. Now that Cocco's slept with her boss, she's demanding to know what all his secrets, but Palmer is dismissive. Looks like Eph and Palmer share the same problem.

Cardinal McNamara, who seems like a corrupt church official, visits Palmer about the vampire bible (I'm not going to try to pronounce its real name). Palmer is ready to pay any price for it, but the Cardinal says there's another interested party. Palmer immediately suspects Abraham and is furious.

Eph takes Zach with him to Wu's warehouse and arrives moments after Wu's been robbed by a customer. Wu's daughter pulls a gun on Eph, but Zach says his dad is a doctor and that he can save Wu. Eph grabs some medical equipment, and with Zach's help (the kid actually does something useful) he saves Wu. As a thank you, Wu's daughter gives Eph the rifle for free.

Abraham and Vasiliy go to visit Cardinal McNamara. During the drive, Abraham asks what happened to Dutch, a depressed Vasiliy says she took Nikki to one of the apartment buildings they cleared out.

Abraham and Vasiliy meet the Cardinal, who rudely says Abraham doesn't look like he can buy the Vampire bible. Abraham throws done a price. The Cardinal says he'll be in touch. When Abraham and Vasiliy leave, the old professor admits that "We're going to rob that son of a bitch."

Kelly, made up as her former human self, is stopped at a checkpoint. I think Eicchorst sacrificed a vampire so Kelly could get through.

Gus and Silver Angel drive to one of the Indian restaurant's suppliers and finds the warehouse looted. When they report back(does Gus live at the restaurant now?), Mr. Gupta refuses to leave New York, despite Aanya and her mother's fears. Gus convinces Gupta that the violence that's plaguing New York will soon visit his restaurant, and he agrees to leave. As her parents pack to leave, Aanya kisses Gus, but they're surprised by Quinlan, who says Gus can run but can't hide from the Master.

That night, Eichhorst breaks into the rectory and attacks the Cardinal. Eicchorst wants the vampire bible, but the terrified Cardinal admits he doesn't have it. Abraham and Vasiliy soon arrive and drive Eicchorst off, but not before the Cardinal has been bitten. The dying Cardinal tells Abraham who has the vampire bible, and Abraham decapitates him.

Back at the warehouse, Nora demands answers from Eph. He finally admits to killing Barnes, and inadvertently causing the deaths of their Washington contacts. Nora figures out Eph was sleeping with the pharmaceutical rep and she's crushed.

Kelly appears at the window and asks Zach to let her in the warehouse. The kid ignores his father's orders to not unlock the door and Kelly and the Feelers burst in. Somewhere in the universe, Fitzwilliam's is asking, "I got killed for this stupid brat?!"

Eph and Nora manage to kill the two Feelers, but Kelly escapes, but not without Zach seeing that his mother is indeed a vampire. Will that finally make him realize that his mother can't be saved? Who knows with this kid.

This was a good episode. The Abraham and Vasiliy scenes were great as always. Kelly was creepy, and Eichhorst just reeks of evil. I honestly thought Nora was going to get bit as she and Eph fought off Kelly and the Feelers. They need to stop with the Palmer and Cocco scenes, seriously.

#407 Rapscallion, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  8. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Whats up with Coco? Is she a spy looking for info? She cant find that guy attractive for his looks nor personality.

9. Rapscallion

She's either a gold digger, or she's working for someone who has yet to be revealed.

10. Funion The Baba

Maybe the old guy is hung like a horse and Coco is a size queen...just sayin'

11. Funion The Baba

Apparently he reeks of dead fish or at least Coco thinks he smells like dead fish...

12. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

For me, the episode last night again failed to meet potential story possibilities and had many things I didnt like.

13. Rapscallion

I thought last night's episode "The Battle for Red Hook" was better than "The Dark Knight Rises." Why do I think that? Because the civilians actually helped the police! :Grin:

14. Rapscallion

I just watched tonight's episode "The Assassin".

In a horror TV show filled with frustrating episodes, this one took the cake.

For a doctor, Ephi is hella stupid.

If I were Vasiliy, I would've killed that cop after he said where they took Dutch.

#414 Rapscallion, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  15. jymbo

jymbo Member

I love the strain, good characters and storyline

16. Rapscallion

Last Sundays episode "Dead End" was good.

Flashbacks of Eichhorst's life just as the Nazi party took over Germany. I would've preferred if they wrote it with Helga trying to steer Eicchorst away from the Nazi's, but his drive for respect ended up being too great.

So Dutch had the presence of mind to mace Eichhorst, but she doesn't lock him up in the cell? That would've been a fitting death for him, trapped like all the thousands of people he murdered during the Holocaust until he finally starved from lack of blood.

Eph, Vasiliy and Nora save Dutch just in time, but Eichhorst escapes yet again.

17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, the repeating pattern of Eichorst getting almost caught and then slipping away is getting a bit redundant. Athough the last quarter of this episode was pretty intense.

18. Rust

Rust Member

I'm liking it this year. Much like Fear the Walking Dead, it's not the best thing, but it's better than most of the junk on TV.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

There are way too many face-offs between main characters (good vs evil) without any of them dying. That's my major problem with the Strain.

20. Rapscallion

Characters are also intelligent one episode, and stupid in the next episode.