Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The World Game

Discussion in 'Sports' started by DeeLaurean, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Still_Alive

Still_Alive Well-Known Member

Yeah, here's exactly what you are talking about. Many guys are stuck to Legia cause they're always in Top4, since I remember.

BUT, you know mate, this is a lower shelf of glory-hunting. I respect them cause, at least, they're not like these barbie dolls maundering through the streets with a damn pseud smile on their face, "proudly" showing Madrid, Barcelona, Man United or Chelsea scarves and prattling something about their "long time" pride.

It's very hard to be truly loyal to your local team here, when big UEFA toys attract you so intensely. So, let these guys here be local glory hunters. They still choose not very easy way, if we talk about European competition.

As for me, I'm also turning towards sweet, cosy life and fair sport, like NHL (I follow it for over the past decade). Yeah, I have to admit it, I'm not that hard to bear everything. Cause I'm really tired. Football is a beautiful game but corrupted, all the way, to the bone. And you know what I mean, if you look at last German FA Cup final or the very last Gameweek in Spain (fair earned but disallowed goals, pathetic). Being a football champion here in Europe means nothing. Exactly nothing.

Also, some sheikhs come to England or France and pour their money down the drain to transform some joke teams into silverware "truly fair" collectors. Yeah, there is a limit and some moral guardians are institued :zombies_lol: But, you know, all they can do is to fine these rich owners who instantly reply "f*ck you, we do what we want" and splash their money again. Or look at this Russian mug who came to London. He belongs to the same clique that corrupted FIFA officials and bereaved England of being World Cup host in 2018. This is NOT a sport, mate.

European federations shall take some lessons from Americans, all the time. And bring back fair competition.

#321 Still_Alive, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree mate. It's the old saying, money talks.
    I still enjoy watching the premier league despite all the money involved, I guess I remember the bad old days of terraced grounds and hooliganism and when the English teams were banned from Europe because of Heysel.
    I watch a bit of the Hyundai A league here but the skill level isn't great.
    I'm looking forward to the World Cup and will be cheering England along and watching the socceroos.
    Who will you be following ?

3. Still_Alive

No Poland, so no big interest. But yeah, I will be glancing at English world. England are our old foes but I never forget they gave us football. Australia, yes. Definitely USA, my sympathy goes to Croatia, too. I can support every team but the huns. And I am not a bandwagoner, so great teams like Spain or Brazil are excluded. I prefer some eternal losers & die-hards, so England is a good choice here, yes.

4. DeeLaurean

That's great, England will need all the positive vibes they can get.
    It's funny how Poland and England usually always face each other In European and World Cup qualifiers hey?
    The big issue I have is that the World Cup games will be televised in the early hours of the morning here, living in Australia has it's drawbacks.
    As long as England beat or at least draw with the Italians I'll be happy.

5. Still_Alive

There's only one way to defeat England. You have to fight hard to survive 90mins + 30mins extra.

Then penalties are awarded and it's an easy job for England's rivals.

So, be prepared for really long games. Maybe this time your boys will score something before 120th min. If you find huns on your way, just kick their arse hard from me, please.

Yes, we meet quite often in Qs and we'll get you one day ;-)

6. DeeLaurean

Ha, ha, ha, you're definitely right there mate. We can't score penalties for shit hey ;)
    We've had some real heartbreaking moments, sometimes it's really hard work following England.
    The Germans always seem to do well hey? It was surprising in the champions league when Bayern were knocked out though. Let's hope they fail like Bayern did.

7. Still_Alive

As for Bayern, I still remember your 'coloured papers' after Man United's game against them.

[​IMG]

Brits have really big balls ;-) It's hard to do something like this in the modern world, when ppl are ready to forget everything and accept what is unacceptable. So, good job, lads. I can't say that I hate Germans with a fierce passion. I don't care about the huns and it's just a dislike, I think. But I really enjoyed this back cover! ;) That was something! :zombies_lol:

8. DeeLaurean

Ha. Yeah the English tabloids don't hold back much.
    Is your dislike for your neighbours purely football related or does it have anything to do with history ?

9. Still_Alive

You know mate, they loved to bomb our both countries once :zombies_lol:

My Great Grandpa, who was shooting them (that was his fav video game), wouldn't be proud of me if would say that I like the huns ;-)

But, if we're into history now, yeah, nothing is THAT simple. Interwar Poland was a beautiful, multicultural country where there was a place for everyone - Germans, Russians, Czechs, Hungarians, Jews, Serbians and other nations. Even British and Dutch engineers were working here to build our industry. And Henry Ford repeated that Germany and Poland are best places in Europe to develop his motor business. We could be European leaders. When nazis came here, they executed many German Poles cause they didn't want to reject their Polish citizenship.

My second homecity football team, Polonia, was partially founded by the German Poles.

10. DeeLaurean

I totally understand your feelings.
    I wonder as our grandparents and other people of the world wars era start to pass away wether the strong feeling will also start to dissipate?
    But as long as we never forget and always remember the fallen.

11. Still_Alive

That's right, mate. That's right ;-)

12. Still_Alive

Nick Clegg: Qatar should be stripped of World Cup

Qatar should be stripped of the World Cup if "shocking" allegations that the Gulf state's top football official paid millions of dollars to his African counterparts are proven, the Deputy Prime Minister has said.

Nick Clegg said that the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup must be rerun in a "fair and open" manner after the discovery of emails showing hundreds of thousands of dollars were channelled to African football officials.

Mr Clegg said on Twitter: "These are shocking allegations about the bidding process for 2022 World Cup. If proven true, FIFA must rerun the contest fairly and openly."

Speaking at an event Newark, Nottinghamshire, David Cameron, the Prime Minister, said he was surprised that England had lost the bid for the World Cup and added he would "see what happens" with a Fifa probe into the allegations.

He said: "There is an inquiry under way quite rightly into what happened in terms of the World Cup bid for 2022. I think we should let that inquiry take place rather than prejudge it.

SOURCE

13. Still_Alive

Last Gameweek. Legia 2-0 Lech PoznaƄ. Coronation ;-)

[​IMG]

14. Still_Alive

Champions League qualifiers

Legia Warszawa 4-1 Celtic Glasgow

Great win but one frustrating thing [MENTION=4463]Agramer[/MENTION] Our captain Ivica missed two pens in this game!

15. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

I know how are you feeling... There are no better Croatian penalists than Davor Suker.

16. Still_Alive

Missing two pens was truly incredible but fans supported him and chanted: Ivica, it's nothing :) He's one of our best players, fingers crossed! Let's hope he won't break down :)

The result is great anyway and I hope we'll go through. Second leg will be played in Edinburgh, not at Celtic Park, I hear.

17. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

That's was pretty nice from the fans. I don't think Ivica will break down, he's a great player and that's sport.

18. Still_Alive

He played very well in the middle, anyway. If he only scored he would certainly get the highest rank.

19. tyc94

tyc94 Well-Known Member

European football (or soccer depending on where you live) would be a lot more interesting if it wasn't so dominated by money.

20. Still_Alive

I always wonder why people argue over 'soccer / football' names and sometimes hear all these senseless jokes about Americans 'who play foot ball with their hands'. American football is a long local tradition and spectacular sport. And this is Americans' right to call their national sport, on their soil, like they want to and not Europeans' business. Meanwhile, the name 'soccer' is as old as 'football' (English football). Some historical facts to explain are needed:

[by Garry Archer]

I am an Englishman that has taken on himself a personal crusade to respond to comments regarding the use of the "American" word for football.

To love the game of football is to love it's rich history also. It particularly disturbs me when modern fans of the game less conversed in this history do not fully understand that the word "soccer" is an English, not American word derived from the second syllable of the word "association".

"Soccer" was originally called "association football" during the formation of the Football Association in England in the 1860s. This was to maintain a distinction from the other football game being organized in England at the same time based on the handling codes, whilst Association Football conformed to the dribbling codes. The other football came to be known as "rugby" football, named after the Rugby School in England, where it is said that a certain young student, William Webb Ellis, picked up the ball in his hands during an association football match and ran with it over the goal line. Master Ellis asked his teacher, who was refereeing, if that was a goal. The reply was "No, but it was a jolly good 'try'", which is where one of the rugby scoring terms comes from. Rugby Union was formally organized by 1871, but suffered another split by 1893 when Rugby League was formed. I digress.

Near the end of 1863, Charles Wreford-Brown, who later became a notable official of the Football Association, was asked by some friends at Oxford whether he cared to join them for a game of "rugger" (rugby). He is said to have refused, preferring instead to go for a game of "soccer" - a play on the word "association". The name caught on.

English public schoolboys love to nickname things, then as much as now. The tendency is to add "er" to the end of many words. Rugby [Union] Football became "rugby", and then "rugger". Association Football was better know as "assoccer" and naturally evolved into "soccer" which is much easier for a schoolboy to say...