Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Them [510]- Criticisms and Complaints

Discussion in 'Episode 510 - Them' started by Neuropyramidal, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

So basically some people would watch the news and some wouldn't. I just don't see what the Govie said that would be unrealistic.

#261 Gaycandybacon, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. sam12six

sam12six Member

Based on the world as it's been presented to us, I don't think it's realistic that the whole thing took long enough for people to sit around watching it on TV. Like I said, I think enough time to watch it would be enough time to stop it. As I picture it, something big happened worldwide. Whatever it was, it was enough that it effectively instantly transformed a large enough segment of the population into zombies that the remainder were steamrolled. That's not compatible with the idea that they gradually spread from wherever and people gathered each night to watch the update of the wave approaching them.

3. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

You have some valid points, but this isn't one of them. Based on what the Governor said, people did in fact huddle around their TVs. I'm not trying to argue or insult your point of view, but this is the way the story was told on the show. Maybe we'll get some clarification on the spin off.:Grin:

4. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

Well if they were gamers or forum junkies they'd be too busy to watch the news, am I right Nick?

5. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

6. rustybag

rustybag Member

At the initial outbreak, it would be fight,flight or freeze for sure and the freeze response would probably be good in this case. Stay put & don't move. That would work for the first couple of weeks or so, depending on what you had for supplies when it all started. eventually you'd need to take the minivan & look for that evian.
    At the beginning of season 3 Rick told the prisoners that half the population or more was wiped out. But even if it's more like 99% like you are saying, that 1% is still quite a few people left trying to survive. While a couple of neighbors were duking it out over eggos, there'd be that one guy taking every last container of water, because you would need it not only to drink, but to clean yourself, cook food, flush the toilet, etc..when you have no running water, water that you have in containers goes, a lot faster than people think. food goes fast too. .

#266 rustybag, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. Gaycandybacon

My mum watches the news so much and freaks out over a tornado watch, I dink I'd be informed. :zombies_shocked:

8. sam12six

sam12six Member

I was just saying that when they wrote that line for the governor, they didn't think about how it's pretty incompatible with the world they've created. That's just my opinion.

Yes, here's my point, if a decent percentage of people (let's say 30% of people, even though I think it'd be more like 80%) opted for option 3 and weathered the initial outbreak, we'd have groups forming to effectively sweep the streets free of the slow moving, idiot zombies. The zombies are so ineffective as an invasion force that a massive portion of the population must have turned immediately (though there could have been a gestation period), giving very few people a chance to organize or fort up.

Yes, it would be a group of survivors living off resources meant to support a hundred times their number. As has been pointed out, after a matter of days that would be reduced to everything that was really preserved (meaning cans, jars and dried stuff - with the dried stuff possibly eaten by rats, depending on how it was packaged).

That one guy, unless he's pretty dumb isn't planning to live in the city indefinitely, expecting the stored food to last forever. Oh, wait, he's wasting drinking water to flush his toilet - OK, maybe he is stupid enough to think the supplies will last forever (instead of the several years it probably actually would).

Anyway, I'm gonna sign off the discussion because we're walking in circles. I believe it would be difficult to take more than a cursory look during your trip from Georgia to Virginia without coming up with as much food as you're willing to carry to support the group, and that it would be literally impossible for anyone with the most minimal intelligence to look and be unable to find something to drink during that same trip. Others disagree with me. That's cool.

9. Gaycandybacon

I mean there could be people that could see a zombie for instance before they watch the news. But I just think the world is too big, especially the USA, that the news wouldn't get out fast enough even in TWD world. It's not like there was a billion zombies walking around before the news got out.

10. sam12six

sam12six Member

Oh, I'm not saying it necessarily happened so quickly there wasn't any news coverage, just that the tone of that dialogue (to me) sounds like the vast majority were aware of the outbreak and sat around watching it on the news like the characters in The Diary of Anne Frank hovering around a radio just waiting and dreading the moment when the events on the news caught up with their reality.

I, again, say that if there had been time enough for people to agonize over it this way, there would have been enough time to stop the spread. With enough time, it wouldn't have been the zombie apocalypse, it would have been the time some people turned into zombies.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Well, the U.S. isn't a level playing field either. The denser areas would fall quicker. We've mostly seen rural areas where it would take longer for things to get bad. And there would be small town radio and television stations. How long you had to agonize over the news would in big part depend on where you lived.

12. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder how on earth people survived for thousands of years on this planet without convenience stores to loot and pillage for water.

13. Gaycandybacon

There prolly were people like that and they just ended up killing themselves, and or just decided to start surviving in that world which sounds a lot like what the Gov went through. I understand what you're getting at though.

14. rustybag

rustybag Member

Very true, if you didn't figure out how collect & purify drinking water early on, you'd probably be pretty screwed by now, or dead. How did Gabriel do it, I wonder. What magical survival skills does he have.

15. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Holy water. He could take any water, say a blessing and—ta da!—holy water.

16. rustybag

rustybag Member

That's an interesting ratio, haven't heard that before. That would leave 140 million people left on the planet. I just looked it up, it's about the same as the population in 200 BC :)

17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured once that it would be about 60,000 total in the U.S, and about 2,000 in Georgia. And I suppose that is feasible, considering they were at the prison for over 8 months total, and apparently only about 15 or 20 survivors stumbled across the prison in all that time.

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

If the zombie outbreak happened, we'd all see it immediately on Twitter/Facebook/whatever on our phones. Then we'd either find a TV/computer/radio to hear more coverage or GTFO, and that would totally depend on one's personality, prior planning, and ability to handle a crisis.

I have no idea whose side of the discussion I'm arguing for. :zombies_lol:

19. rustybag

rustybag Member

Generally speaking, I know what you mean. That's probably my biggest bone to pick about the show lately, is they put the characters in unlikely scenarios (based on what we know about them) in order to have a plot. You find yourself thinking "they wouldn't be that stupid, he or she wouldn't do that"... I find myself thinking that a lot.

20. ella_k

ella_k Member

That`s actually what makes the show unrealistic (besides the zombies, haha) for me. Bad hings happen to people but NOT in those doses and 24/7. It`s a bit unrealistic that so much crap happens to them all the time. I wish they could just settle somewhere for a bit ...

Also, I have a hard time imagining TWD type of zombies as real threat.... your neighbour next door is potentially more lethal. They are slow and dumb. They can`t really climb. Unless you encounter a herd, taking them out should be very easy.
    So I guess the initial outbreak had to be very sudden and fast for things to go so bad.

Also - I don`t know if this has been covered anywhere but if they are corpses, they rot, right? So all you have to do is sit tight in one place for let`s say a year and they should all be turned into dirt. (at least in warmer areas). So what`s the fuss? :p

#280 ella_k, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015