Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

This is not the same Negan we love from the comics

Discussion in 'Episode 704 - Service' started by Eat_Cow, Nov 15, 2016.

1. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I like Negan a lot...Best character and most interesting to come along since Shane.

2. Chiron

Chiron Member

Father Gabriel made a mistake and was a coward. He is now part of the ASZ family after The Same Boat.
    Negan has beaten two men to death with a bat, gleefully and with great enjoyment. One man was in his horrific death throes on his knees in front of his pregnant wife, choking on his blood with his eye out of his skull while he tried to say some words of comfort to her while Negan was taunting him. He then literally peeled his brain off, laughing. I don't think there is a comparison.

Not looking for Negan's good side or redemption as that is not possible for me. But a believable villain yes, and a great storyline to a war, yes. I look forward to that very much.

#42 Chiron, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  3. Poppy

Poppy Member

maybe I didn't read enough of the comics, to get a real feel for Negan. But one thing I hated about the comics was that every other "F"ing word was the "F" word.
    I'm glad it is NOT like that in the TV show.

4. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

I still think we should all just be patient and wait. It's disappointing to read all these complaints when JDM just started his portrayal of Negan, and the character is still new to the group. I'm not saying you can't have your opinion--of course you can. Everyone can. It's just reading things like "JDM isn't good as Negan" and "this isn't good as comic Negan" when he's barely been on the show is jumping the gun -- IMHO. It's like if we were to say Andrew Lincoln can't cut it as Rick Grimes by the time we see him in S1E5...

5. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying.

I think JDM himself is doing an excellent job. It's the writing that has me a little concerned, and largely due to the rape-by-coercion vibe it gives off. Because that is very far out-of-character and I find it jarring.

6. ShaneFan

Ahhh, I gotcha. I see what you're saying about the weird vibe. Maybe that will change in the coming episodes.

#46 ShaneFan, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. Heriot of Fire

put that shit in spoiler tags ffs

8. ShaneFan

Dude! I made a mistake...it was supposed to be "maybe it will" ..not that it will actually happen. I haven't read any spoilers for Season 7' finale, so calm down. No need for nasty language.

9. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Eh, to be honest, we really need to be careful when we're talking about the comics outside of the comics section for that very reason.

When I do, I try to keep it either vague, about character personality only, or about events that have already transpired on the show/things the show did that weren't in the comics.

If we're talking any potential future TV storylines based on comic storylines, it needs to go into spoilers. Even if you're saying it's a hypothetical scenario for the TV show.

10. ShaneFan

Oh okay. I apologize then. I was reading other comments mentioned by other posters about the comics' events that have yet to happen on the show, so I was chiming in. I didn't realize that my post would be considered a spoiler. I'll fix my post now. Thanks, @DragonRacer!

@Heriot of Fire - I'm sorry... I reacted to your post and didn't realize what I had written was considered spoiler-ish until DragonRacer pointed it out. I've fixed my post. No hard feelings?

*Fixed!*

#50 ShaneFan, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  11. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I would agree with the Spoilery warnings but since this thread is clearly tiltled as referring to the comics already it sort of implies the whole thing will be a Spoiler,doesn't it?

Maybe this needs to be moved to the Spoiler section of the Forum anyway?

I know that I can not make myself not read it if it is here but I will not let myself go to the Spoiler Forum at this time either!
    Need to be Strong......somehow!

12. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Member

The show will never be as good as the comics.

13. Heriot of Fire

Yeah sorry, rough morning. No hard feelings anyway, I'd just rather I hadn't read it.

14. Chiron

Chiron Member

I don't take anything as complaining. It is a discussion and I enjoy what everyone has to say very much. Otherwise, why are we fans of the show or dip in here.
    Agree on spoilers. Though I don't mind them as the Negan arc progresses we want to be surprised. There are quite a few coming through on threads and not everyone reads the comics or wants to know.

15. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

When I really, really don't want to know what's happening, I have to stay at the bottom of the forum and just be Off Topic. Lots of fun there, too. :)

Up here, one person says one vague thing, another person says another vague thing, and pretty soon I know, and I can't even blame them. Plus, I am a total weakling at not clicking on spoiler boxes.

Even though I never go to the sub-forums for spoilers or for readers of the comics, I know I will be exposing myself to the future anyway. I just made up my mind long ago that it's worth it to be able to read the funny, intelligent comments.

16. ShaneFan

That's okay. We all have our moments. I hope the rest of your day turns out better for you. No prob, I totally understand not wanting to have read that.

17. ShaneFan

Aw man, I killed the thread. Come back, everyone!

18. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

So I am trying to understand if they are making Negan out to be a different kind of guy than the comics or if they are not but it just isn't coming across as they intend it too?

Clearly he is a monumental asshole either way but I am sort of intrigued about how the comic makes him both a murderous asshole that smashes peoples heads off with no remorse AND appealing in any way at the same time?
    So far that is just not the vibe I get.

Murder and Benevolence just do not live together for me.

19. Eat_Cow

Eat_Cow Member

Well, some people (me included) love the charisma side of TV Negan, it's just as it was in the comics (more or less at least. JDM's acting is good but feels pretty samey for the most part) but where they're missing the mark with making the character likable is 1) how cruel he's being to Rick and co and 2) the ambiguity of his whole stance on women. In the comics, Negan ****s with Rick's head a little and does bad shit, but after killing Glenn he doesn't purposely try to make the survivor's lives miserable, other than taking their stuff. He just comes, takes his stuff, talks all gleefully and leaves. He also doesn't try to woo Maggie after killing her husband and he doesn't supposedly coerce a woman into marriage with him or else she or her boyfriend dies (although Sherry did make the offer, with further thought put into it, would Negan kill one of them if she retracted her offer? Decide for yourself). Negan in the show just seems distasteful. :L I'll give it time, though.

20. jmobash

jmobash Member

Yeah in the comics Sherry seems like she chose Negan to have a better life with perks. There is no sister involved. I was telling my husband that this small detail makes her much less sympathetic to me on TV.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk