Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Three things that just irritated me.

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Try' started by Morgotha, Mar 22, 2015.

1. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Rick should be taking cold showers instead of lusting after a married woman.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think were we'd be in special trouble with this panels is heating the homes. According the TWD timeline, they are probly somewhere in the November to January range. Most of them wear sweaters and or jackets during the day, yet they are portrayed as being at comfortable temp in their homes even at night, so it would stand to reason they are heating their homes to at least some degree.

According to Sylvain, Inc., it takes about 10watts to heat a square foot of home to comfortable levels, electrically. [They must mean a square foot of floor, with a column of space from the floor to the ceiling]. So even if each home heats only 2 bedrooms for 8 hours each night, leaving the rest of the house cold, it would take maybe 24 kWh to heat just one home for one night:

2 bedrooms x 150 square feet per bedroom x 8 hours x 10W/square ft = 24,000wh, or 24 kWh.

So it would take half the entire daily energy output of the solar panels just to properly heat 2 bedrooms total in the safe zone. If we say they only give each house half the power you would normally give to heat 2 bedrooms comfortably, you still could only heat 8 bedrooms total using all the energy from the panels, with no energy left over for showers or bulbs or anything.

3. Heriot of Fire

they have fireplaces

4. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

3 things that irritated me...
    Rick behaving out of character and unreasonably towards Pete.
    No mention of Father Gabriel's comments. Like it never happened. At least Tara was referred to!
    Jesse, who's spent years coming to terms with her husband's behaviour changing her mind set on the say so of a man she's known for 5 minutes...Realistic?

5. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

Forgive the repeat of what others have said, but:

1. Dropped storylines (Maggie overhearing Father Traitor; Glenn's interview w/ Deanna [did it even happen?]) in favor of 2. a forced storyline: Rick suddenly getting a case of the Raging Stupids and risking his group's safety.
    3. Has anyone given Deanna specifics about life on the road (cannibals, beheadings, etc.)? If not, no wonder she thinks they're halfway 'round the bend.

6. Neuropyramidal

Its possible, but then they face running out. Hard to say, but maybe they will explain it more at some point in the future.

7. Neuropyramidal

true, but its would still be very cold most of the night after the fire went out, especially far off in the individual bedrooms. And I don't see a lot of wood around. It just seems to me that they are not portraying these people as folks who get up every 45 minutes to put wood in a fireplace. I think the sense they are trying to give us is that these people are spoiled with basically the same luxuries they had pre-ZA.

8. Heriot of Fire

Not necessarily if they're well insulated houses. Also Tobin looks like the textbook lumberjack and should have enough time on his hands now.

It certainly looks like they want to portray them as having very similar luxuries to what they had before though, which might not be overly realistic, but can't say I have a problem with that.

#48 Heriot of Fire, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  9. Neuropyramidal

Those are big houses. Without keeping that fire going all night, those bedrooms would be freezing. But again, the rooms didn't have a lot of wood around. I think we are meant to believe that these are people who sleep soundly in their beds at night, not up working at keeping their house warm. I don't really have a problem with it either, but I'm just saying it doesn't match their energy. But, yes, its a nitpicky point, and doesn't effect the point they are making here.

10. Heriot of Fire

Yeah, Michonne didnt look like quaking with cold when she woke up, but then again our group is probably used to far less comfortable conditions.
    To be fair I havent got the first idea what time of year it's supposed to be at this point and less so what kind of temperatures are to be expected, which only makes it easier to believe everything they feed us.

11. Neuropyramidal

By piecing together clues, such as the S2 to S3 break ocurring over 'winter' according to Michonne and Andrea, it seems they are somewhere between November and January. And most of them wear at least light jackets during the day. And you could really see everyone's breath when Abe was working on the construction crew. So, yeah, its hard to pin down a precise temp, but it would probably get might cold at night.

12. Heriot of Fire

sounds fairly accurate

13. mistymage

mistymage Member

Virginia's min avg winter temps for Nov- Jan are 35, 28 and 26F. Max avg is 58, 48, 46F. http://climate.virginia.edu/description.htm

Those temps might be considered mighty cold in some places but here in the Mid-west it just means putting a jacket on while running around in Eugene shorts. (Not me, I get cold easily.) For those temps we only load up the wood burner once a day just to get the chill out of the air instead of constantly chucking a few more logs in.

14. Neuropyramidal

Those min average temps are around freezing and below. And its colder at night than during the day. It would be freezing cold at night. You guys must have thick skin in the mid-west. :p I live in very similar winter conditions to Alexandria, and those temps are pretty cold to me, although I tend to wear silk boxers to bed.

#54 Neuropyramidal, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  15. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

When I seen Deanna watching the interviews on her laptop, I wasn't sure if the Internet would still be up in the zombie apocalypse..but you think there would be some form of communication between people around the world for safe zones, possible leads on a cure, etc

16. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Yes, winter heating will be a major problem for them. Burning wood in a fireplace is a problem also. Fireplaces have a negative R value which means they take heat out of a room. This is due the draft created the smoke rising out of the chimney. It pulls cold air in.
    They may have passive solar water heater for water. Basically a barrel painted black filled water. This would allow their electricity to be used for other conviences and necessities.
    The homes dont have indivdual wells. They have cistern system which is the pond/lake in the middle of ASZ. Deanna told Rick Rthis during the interview.

17. Neuropyramidal

Right, fireplaces are warm while the fire is raging, and self defeating as the fire dies, I think. They'd probably do better with a wood burning stove with a flue, but even that would have its problems. I don't really fault the show for these energy inconsistencies though, because in the show, they haven't actually shown the total amount of solar panels. We really just know that from filming photos and google earth. So, they may be trying to present a place that has 10 times this amount of arrays. But its fun to debate and talk about.

18. M3O

M3O Member

I hate Jessie's cry just like I hated Beth's...

19. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

My older brother did the same thing. I remember as a kid spinning the time set knob to watch the numbers flip over and over. It was like a video game of the day. I also him remember getting very mad that every time he looked at the time it was totally off. I ran a lot, lol!

20. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Those are NEW houses though, not turn of the century ones like exist in many places back East. The insulation is much better. If you put a couple people in the same room and close the door you won't be cold at all after a bit. Granted when you open the bedroom door to go to the bathroom, it'll be FREEZING, but you can be pretty cozy in your room, especially if everyone does like Rick's group and has 3-5 people per room.

I don't think that's what the show is trying to imply though, they are showing more of a pre-collapse America with everyone in their own space, IMO, but I don't think they'd freeze if they stayed together.

With the power situation, I think it's more a case of the show's not caring to be accurate. The same way they showed a solar panel in a center divider of the street in Woodbury, LOL, I think we are just to assume the solar panel array is sufficient for the community's needs.