Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Time for Trump to go

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

And now he is calling for censorship
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Your reply. Lmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sharpie61

Donald unhinged
    [​IMG]

4. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

Problem is without electoral college, half of the country becomes irrelevant. The TEN most populous states hold 54% of the population. The bottom TWENTY SIX hold just 17%. There would be almost no point in trying to appeal to HALF of the country. Twenty one states hold less than 1% of the population each. I think it should be one state-one vote. We also need to do away states voting opposite of what their voters chose. we had SEVEN delegates that voted against the popular votes in protest in 2016. SEVEN delegates ignored the vote of the people and chose who HE/SHE wanted the entire state to vote for. It didnt change the outcome this time but it could. We had only had NINE delegates deviate since 1900. Then SEVEN in one election. Bush beat Gore by ONE electoral vote.
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/

5. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I don't see that as a problem. Why should location mean anything? Why shouldn't the majority decide the outcome of an election? It does for every other office. Why should the vote of 10 people living out in the sticks mean more than the 2 million living in the city? Who says those 10 people have the country's best interests in mind?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Apparently less populated states are over represented in the electoral college.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/how-fair-is-the-electoral-college/

7. DeadZedHead

Right!! Because the population is always going to grow faster in urban states than rural states. We can keep tweaking the college until its balanced every year or come up with a different solution. Just my opinion but i think one vote per state gives each state with their own priorities and perspectives equal voice. The popular candidate in each state would win one vote, the winning candidate would presumably still be the one with the national popular vote. It wouldn’t always but would generally. Just as now the national popular vote winners usually win the electoral. This only becomes an issue when it doesn’t. Whether someone lives in the sticks or downtown, they still deserve to represent their states interest not just their national interest.

8. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Our founders did not believe the ordinary man could possess enough knowledge to vote intelligently on the presidency. Our capacity to access information and our ease of travel were unimaginable to them. They thought people physically isolated were particularly vulnerable to being easily duped. Well, people can be duped, but that's not because of physical isolation. An elite group of people casting votes for the rest of us is not the solution now, if indeed it ever was. It is an outrage.

Look at what the founders thought:

https://www.historycentral.com/elections/Electoralcollgewhy.html

No other democracy or republic sneers at their citizenry and uses an electoral college. Not one. Other countries have adopted the majority of our Constitution when they created their own Constitutions, but they always leave this article out in favor of the one-vote-one-person system. Over 700 amendments have been proposed to eliminate America's electoral college, far more than any other article in the Constitution.

https://www.fairvote.org/past_attempts_at_reform

The National Popular Vote Compact is a brilliant solution to our obnoxious electoral system. Yes, the general population may be bewildered by it when it first goes into effect, but eventually they will be pleased to know their own vote for the presidency finally counts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

It's too bad you missed knowing westwingnut. He taught us all about the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact many, many pages ago and kept us up to date on which states were at which point in getting their bills for it passed.

#23948 Lindigo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

The nice thing about the electoral college is it keeps the big cities from deciding things in their favor at the expense of the rural communities that supply them with food. It's also no surprise that the "blue" states are the ones pushing for a direct vote - so they can do exactly that.

Nope, I'd say keep it as it is. Fair to the country as a whole.

10. Morgotha

Something I thought I'd never see, Bill Maher sticking up for FOX news.

"
    “You wanna be in the big leagues, but you refuse to ever play an away game? You don’t like the questions that Fox News might ask, so you’re deciding not to take any questions at all? How very Trump of you,” he continued.

Maher added, “Republicans never shy away from coming on this show, and they come with a smile on their face despite knowing that the only people in the crowd cheering them on are the three campaign aides they brought with them … The audience is against them and they don’t care — it’s an opportunity to expose people to your side of the story.”"

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...rats-for-refusing-to-host-debates-on-fox-news

11. Morgotha

The NY Post says the wall will pay for itself in 2 years.

"
    President Trump launched another battle for border security on Monday, calling for $8.6 billion in funding for the Wall in his proposed federal budget for next year. Predictably, top Democrats came out swinging, bashing a border wall as “expensive and ineffective.”

Truth is, the Democrats aren’t leveling with the public about the billions we are already forced to spend on shelters, food, diapers, medical care and childcare for migrants sneaking across the border and claiming asylum. Not to mention the costs of public schooling and health care provided free to migrants once they are released into communities.

By deterring illegal crossings, the Wall will pay for itself in less than two years. It’s a bargain."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/new-york-post-actually-we-cant-afford-not-to-build-the-wall

12. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

For some odd reason I assumed Westwingnut was female.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Morgotha

He said one of the reasons for his leaving was that he finally got a girlfriend and wanted to spend more time with her. So probably male.

#23953 Morgotha, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  14. DeadZedHead

I can see the logic in it and I get why people would want the popular vote to be the only vote. I just think that given the size and diversity of the US, it can be easy for urban voters to gloss over or not even understand the needs of more rural states. Every election, the candidates woo the big ticket states, then the swing states and if they have time or its close, some of the rest. Right now, a presidential candidate has to take most states into consideration to win. 21 states have less than 1% of the votes each. How many candidates are even going to give a thought to those states. As i posted above top 10 states carry 54% of the votes. Bottom ten states are 2% combined. Even in the tightest races, those ten states would be completely irrelevant. Im not saying ive got the right answers. Im just saying i dont think a straight up popular vote would be the right one either. I REALLY dont like the idea that delegates can vote contrary to a states popular vote.

15. DeadZedHead

Only if it works. A 20 billion dollar dam made of swiss cheese isnt saving anyone money.

16. Sharpie61

17. DeadZedHead

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Well that makes sense. Although it also makes sense for either gender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Morgotha

Of course walls work. It's ridiculous to say they don't. That's why they're around East Germany (when extant), Israel, North Korea, etc. Are they *perfect*? No, but they do something. If they were useless people throughout history wouldn't have built them.

[​IMG]

Oh, yeah, there's also a wall around this place. Maybe if a Democrat wins the next Presidential election they can remove the wall around the White House. It spoils the view.

20. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

The rural states have state legislatures to attend to their specific needs. What services in the Federal government do you think would be wished different for rural states? Everyone likes having the strongest military in the world. Everyone likes having a federally maintained national highway system. Everyone likes having the CDC to keep us safe from Ebola or whatever new horror reveals itself. Everyone hates taxation. I can't think of what the rural states want from the federal government that would be different from what I want. Some people enjoy the space program, some people think it's a waste of money--I don't know what colonizing Mars has to do with rural vs. urban concerns, though.

Policy-wise there would be different preferences from state to state because of how the majority of the citizenry would vote (anti-abortion, etc.), but that's just the tension between the Republican and Democratic parties, right? not rural needs versus urban needs?

I'm not understanding which Federal missions would favor or disfavor rural states. Can you think of any examples? I grew up in the rural part of California, up north, and it is heavily Republican at the moment. Probably was when I was a kid, too, but I wouldn't know as I didn't pay any attention. I don't know what California's rural north lacks from Federal services. Their local county governments will focus on their rural needs within this massive state. That's how I see it, anyway, but I'm willing to be educated.