Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Timeline of Eastman's story

Discussion in 'Episode 604 - Here's Not Here' started by Zalanii, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

*crying* it was me...ok... I couldn't take one more moment of you and Andy at the prom :)
    You're going on the first page of my Burn Book, [MENTION=75261]VickGrimes[/MENTION]

WTF is up with people?

2. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

Well in that case, I don't blame you, I'm jealous of myself for getting to experience it! It already feels like a dream...

The weirdest part it, I got a second round of negative rep for this thread, so you're not the only one adding me to your burn book ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Although it would have been an uncharacteristic move for the show, I really wish it would have been revealed to the viewer (but not Morgan) that Creighton had assumed Eastman's identity. I picture Morgan walking away from the cabin and then them panning around the property, shifting to an inside view of the cabin, and eventually leading to the nightstand next to the bed. On the nightstand is a driver's license with Creighton's name and revealing the current Eastman's face next to it.

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The license thing would be a bit contrived, but they could have done it by panning past Eastman's current grave, until eventually finding an isolated grave that also said "Eastman". It would have been more subtle and not everyone would have even picked up on it. But overall, I'm glad it didn't happen either way. It would have been quite a stretch.

#44 Neuropyramidal, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

It's obviously one of the three jellies who disliked your post towards me.

6. VickGrimes

Haha, those douchebags know I would kill them if they gave me negative rep. Besides, Jeebs and I aren't actually the same person ;)

7. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Ooooooops. I did get my Golden Goddesses mixed up. I have sent both of you rep points to atone.

ETA: Getting back on topic, I also have some lingering questions about Eastman's timeline. But I haven't had the chance to watch the episode enough to fashion a guess about the answers. For all we know, the guy did turn and Eastman had to put him down, having become knowledgeable about the ZA through news reports.

#47 westwingnut, Nov 5, 2015
  8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm really glad this didn't happen, because it would have been an unnecessary contrivance that would have done nothing to further the plot or Morgan's character development. Eastman exists as a character to explain how Morgan went from a crazy murderer to a not-so-crazy pacifist, and why he clings so tightly to his beliefs, and to embody some of the show's ongoing themes (killing for revenge or pleasure or because you're a cannibal or have to clear is wrong; killing for survival can be justified).

You may be on to something... :zombies_lol:

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Right, it would have been a gimmick.

10. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Like I'd said, it wouldn't really fit into character of the show, but I'd still like it. The viewer would be allowed to interpret it a couple different ways.

Creighton, after killing Eastman, goes on a journey as you said from "a crazy murderer to a not-so-crazy pacifist". He realized the evil of his ways and was truly trying to become a good person. The ZA offered him the opportunity to start over, and he tried to assume Eastman's identity. As the monster lived inside him though, there would always be the potential though for a return to the crazy murderer (because everything "gets a return"). We saw Morgan lose the path for a moment and then recover, but we would be left wondering through the rest of the series if he could fall off the path again.

Or, we would interpret it as Creighton still being the charming, yet ultimately evil person who manipulates others to achieve his dubious ends. We would realize that Morgan's recovery was built entirely on a foundation of lies. This would be far less rewarding to the viewer as we would have wondered what Creighton's intentions for Morgan were. Also, I would never believe that a psychopath that needs to manipulate others would attempt to live alone for that long.

#50 Zed Sanford, Nov 5, 2015
  11. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

Someone gave you negative rep?! I'll cut a bitch!

[​IMG]

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

While all of this could work, I just personally think it would be a complication and an unnecessary tangential diversion from the main plot to follow any more of Eastman's story. There are viewers who have trouble enough following the main plot points. ;)

Also, I'm not sure that it matters what Eastman's (or Creighton's) true intentions were. Even if Eastman was full of shit, the philosophy and practice of Aikido is not, and he really did pull Morgan back from the brink.

Yes, I think it would/will be interesting for Morgan to come to question his beliefs. But I'm guessing this will happen in a more straightforward, immediate way in future as a result of his beliefs clashing with Rick's and Carol's. We've already seen a bit of that happening. And I do think we are meant to wonder whether Morgan will slip back into his old ways; perhaps he'll be forced into killing one of the Wolves to save someone else, for example, and then become conflicted.

13. VickGrimes

I actually got negative rep twice in this thread. Can the same person give neg rep twice in a row or do you have to whore yourself around like you do with pos rep? Either way, neither was signed and they both had the same comment (just a period), so I'm guessing it was the same butthurt person. Cut away, bae!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

People already get worked up and go way too far in-depth with the smallest details or implications on the show (and yep, I've been guilty of it), and I agree my ending would have been a complication. I'm perfectly fine with how the episode was done. We got the rest of Morgan's story with this episode which was needed as it has been sort of dangling out there for a long time now.

15. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

It was probably [MENTION=92691]Zalanii[/MENTION] - she was jealous that Neuro wanted an asshole massage from you instead of her.

16. VickGrimes

You better watch yourself, you don't want to get targeted!

17. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

I don't?

18. VickGrimes

Oh yeah, I forgot you do. You should probably go over to the Beth thread for that though ;)

19. jeebs

jeebs Well-Known Member

Only if westwingnut promises to come to my rescue when I get targeted <3

20. VickGrimes

You know he wouldn't let anyone hurt his Golden Goddesses.