Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Tiny wooden shack takes down the almighty wall?

Discussion in 'Episode 607 - Heads Up' started by AnnieOakley, Nov 23, 2015.

1. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

OP: An incredibly weak-structured wooden piece of crap has pushed down the wall? Even in the show's world, the prior instances of force indicate the wall's relative strength, even if the wall is technically crap in real life. That structure would fall, and perhaps bend the wall to some degree, but prior shots of the building showed how flimsy the tower was. To take it all the way down is what seems weird because the foundation would tend to stay in place.

Edit for new Question:

Even if the tower was strong enough to bring the wall all the way down - as valid posts argue and upon watching the scene again - is this how you wanted or expected to see the wall come down? It seems like it would've been cooler to have say, a walker pileup, or infiltration from a village idiot doing something stupid, or simply thousands of walkers pushing it down after the group stood around doing nothing to minimize the herd. Just some ideas.

How would you have written the wall breach to dramatically bring in the army of zombies?

#1 AnnieOakley, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Um, that wall was a shitty wall, fortified from the wrong direction, with minimal reinforcement. I'm surprised it was still standing for the tower to fall on.

3. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

4. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

Lol I'm watching the episode now, I like how they are building the supports on the right side of the wall now

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They don't have much choice unless walkers start learning to use a hammer. :p

6. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

No, that part didn't bother me, I'm just brain-dead enough to dig it.

What did bother me is that once again, here we are at the split or end of a season and BOOM! their whole life-style is about to be wiped out, we all know what comes next: Big massacrous fight with lots of confusion (way worse than the Wolf thing), everyone gets split up, eventually a rag-tag group rejoins up and then must find their way all over again BUT!!!

And no matter what happens?
    They can NOT go back to ASZ!
    No, just like with the prison, and Hershel's farm (granted I think that one really was shot)...

They are never going to find a nice peaceful place.

Just one more long drawn out fight, hardly found a place to settle down...
    And now they're all going to get blown in every direction.
    That's what bothers me.

I could have tolerated some settling down and just ho-hum boring drama with marriage and children and bullshit going on, I could have handled more in-depth scenarios like having something going with that tunnel and all sorts of side-stories and episodes they could have built on with ASZ.
    But then I guess we've already had too much of that, so back to ripping and tearing everything up so we can start over.

7. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Ah, then I believe you may be in for a wonderful surprise. I think this group may just be done with the running in FEAR from what's out there. Perhaps it is time to show the dead that it is they that should fear the living?

*walks away whistling*

8. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

Hahah I know, I just keep imagining them saying "Well this makes a lot more sense, why didn't they do this in the first place?!" while they are working

9. target tony

target tony Member

Plug the hole in the wall and start fighting...

10. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

The wall is not that 'mighty', primarily due to the struts are on the 'wrong' side.

When a lateral force is applied from the outside, the structs barely mean anything. (BTW, there is not a strut between the tower and the wall due to the space limitation.) Walkers pushing from the outside can only generate a nominal force because maybe only the first couple rows of walkers are actually pushing with a certain degree of force. And they do not push in sync as well. More importantly, they are pushing at shoulder height only. The moment arm is small w.r.t. the base of the wall.

However, when the tower collapses, its entire weight acts at the tip of the wall and the overturning moment is much larger (with a moment arm of >4m!). Not surprisingly, the wall itself fails like as it should, as a rigid body.

And, that tower is not that flimsy. Take a look at the few pics below.
    http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/fo...son-5-filming-pictures-updates-62532-124.html

I reckon, if the struts are all on the inside and there are a few more struts in that portion of the wall, then that portion of the wall just might not collapse.

But this collapse must happen for the show to progress.

#10 Blueman, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  11. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Like with any structure and this being a makeshift Apocalypse structure, parts are going to be weaker than others.

The Semi-Truck impact already had some of it's energy diverted from the truck smashing through the house before it came to a halt on the wall and that was a different angle of impact than the tower falling down on the wall. The truck didn't also go into it head on. The Walkers aren't going to create an impact force like either the truck or the tower and they are distributed all over it, rather than on one point.

The way Glenn survived was far less believable than the tower breaking a part of the wall. Anti-climatic as possible as well.

12. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

It didn't seem too far fetched to me. For one, that wall is braced on the wrong side. Those braces did absolutely nothing to stop the wall from collapsing. We're not talking about some ultra-fortified 3 feet thick steel reinforced concrete here. It's sheet metal. It's thicker sheet metal, yes, but it's still sheet metal.

I'm a physicist, so I know a thing or two about forces. I'm incredibly critical of bad physics in TV shows and movies. This didn't set off my stickler radar at all.

You're calling it a rickety little shack, but that thing weighs a lot. There was nothing tiny about it. It weighs at least as much as the semi did. Pick up a board and it doesn't feel that heavy...pick up several thousand boards...well...you won't be able to. That was a lot of weight coming down.

The semi hit the wall at a glancing angle at a lower point on the wall. Walls are strongest when they take a blow on a plane that's perpendicular to their own plane, which is how the semi hit it. The tower fell down from above and broke over the wall. After that it had the rubble from above the break pulling the fence down at the same time as the rubble from below the break was pushing into it from the outside. That's an incredible amount of force. Another point worth considering is that the semi was decelerating as it collided with the wall. The tower was accelerating. This creates significantly different impact scenarios.

We can also add to that the fact that this was very close to the section of the wall that had already been compromised by the semi. The structural integrity was already drastically reduced, which is why they were bracing it right there. Because of the semi collision, the wall was a lot less rigid and accordingly it had much less structural integrity. I didn't really find it that odd at all.

#12 QuantumCurt, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  13. joewinko

joewinko Member

it wasn't a tiny shack. it was a huge 3 story chapel. of course it would destroy the wall. i was totally right about Alexandria. i knew that place was doomed

14. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

No.

15. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Yes.

16. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Maybe.

17. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

There is an excellent shot of the tower falling on the wall in the sneak preview shown on TD.

18. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I think you're way off base here. That wasn't a tiny wooden shack. It was a tall church steeple that would have had considerable weight behind it as it came down. Plus the fact that it pushed in against the unsupported side of the wall, the breach is not so unfathomable. Plus, I don't think the semi hit the wall, but the building, which in turn has caused some of the weakness in the structure.

19. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I know what happens.

But is funny how they "FEAR" what is out there now suddenly. Why would they fear it all of a sudden? 2 seasons of on and off running and season 4 and 5 would off thought them about running.

20. JohnConnor

JohnConnor Member

Screengrabs from the last 5 seconds or so of 607

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]