Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

tomatos, Zucinni , soybeans !

Discussion in 'Episode 301 - Seed' started by A1337sti, Oct 19, 2012.

1. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

So when they first cleared the yard and are all happy "we haven't had this much room since the farm" and old man herschel starts talking about digging an irrigation ditch and plannting some crops

How many seeds did they bring with them? and what are they planning to live off of until the crops are ready?

Zucinni is a good choice cause it grows really fast and can be ready to eat fairly quickly.. I'd think some lettus (not the head types) would be a better choice as you could probably start eating some a week or 2 after planting.

also wheat grass / brocoli are super good choices , due to their nutrient content...

I have not read any comics.. but i wonder if his plan to start farming there could work.. With the fences , stabbing weapons, the watch towers, and riffles. I would imagine they could keep the place really damn secure.

walkers come, stab them through the fence.

live people come and you can lay down on the watch tower balcony and snipe them. it would be really hard for them to take the prison , at least with out heavy causualties. though you need enough ammo.

that's were 22LR riffle really shines as even a small box of 22R ammo usually has 500 rounds...

2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't remember if specific crops are mentioned, but they do start growing them in the comic. They also take care of the walkers through the fence, just like you mentioned.

However, the prison may not be as secure to outside intruders as you may think. :Grin:

3. RIPRV

RIPRV Well-Known Member

Thank you Rachel Ray. I will look out for this on Sunday.

4. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

In the comic the prison is stocked with lots of food. And they grow quite a large garden with several different kinds of vegetables.

5. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

ah yes it was cucumbers..

I haven't read any of the comics , but if the kitchen is stocked that could be a source for seeds. I could see having plenty of tomatos seeds and maybe cucumber seeds. but i can't imagine that the group would be starving, and yet be hanging onto a bag of soy beans that they could just eat instead. I could see hanging onto a dozen soy beans to plant (and use all those soy beans to plant more)

All in all it wasn't an imersion ruining moment for me... But i was a little bit "where are all your seeds, soy beans? you didn't eat those already "

Also in the Deleted scene where the group visited the Vatos they ate all the garbonzo beans they had , at least it did not appear that they saved any for planting someday ..

6. WalkingLive

WalkingLive Member

Hmmmmm, I guess walkers make good fertilizer. Plenty to go around. Wonder if anyone would use it? Nah.....

7. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Sure if you want a zombie zucchini. :Grin:

8. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I think at first they are hoping to find food in the prison. It seemed to me that Hershel was looking at what could be (as he should be).

9. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

aaaahh... well if they are in the prison for 2 seasons maybe we will see them plant crops

10. Dead man walking

I was kinda hoping that we don't see them stuck in this prison for too long but it seems they will be, I'd like to see more happen in a season than settling in one place and at the end having to up sticks and leave. How about they up sticks and leave half way through the season and try another scenario for the second part? That would be better in my eyes. Just don't want it to get stuck in a rut like on the farm.

Plus it is fairly secure inside the prison walls but the prison fences are really not that impenetrable for zombies or human intruders to me. if enough zombies pile against the other side it will come crashing down - it would be better if there were concrete walls all around plus everything is visible so if you start planting here and any 'group' of survivors come and see it, they will likely want it for their own and then you have to try to protect it. Much better to plant in a less open location and less visible. It's also a big place to cover too 24 hrs a day even with gun towers, let's be honest you would need someone in all of them to clearly look after the place and they don't have that big a group. And if they start to pop off weapons eventually more and more zombies are gonna come and then the fences won't hold.

A prison wouldn't be my ideal choice to survive in but they don't really have many options at the moment.

11. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

The prison is a bad mistake for the group, but Rick isn't thinking clearly because he cannot deal with having killed Shane for Lori.

If - last season - they had merged with Randall's group and left the farm for a more secure holding before the herd attacked, they would have had enough people for the prison. Not that a prison is a good bet - as you say, those fences are not truly secure against a herd, not against raiders. Also, prisons are hardly built with human mental health in mind - living there will be very bad for morale. And when morale is low, people make mistakes.

The soil in the yard looks pretty good and they could train a lot of cukes, tomatoes and zucchini up against the inside of the fence, grow soybeans, corn, greens, etc. in the middle. Given all the goo that likely got washed from the walkers into the soil over the winter, they probably won't need to fertilize for a while.

Unless Herschal has gathered seed along the way, they'll have to forage for seed. Any good food in the prison kitchen will be canned, and canned seeds are not viable. A lot of gardens will probably have gone to seed and there will be a lot of seedlings coming up since it's spring. If they can transplant them, they should grow vigorously.

But the group really should choose a smaller, more defensible location. It's amazing, given that they spent all winter traveling, that they didn't find such a place. But though they're tactically much stronger with a year's experience of living in the ZA, their strategy has not improved.