Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

TWD3's Place in Timeline

Discussion in 'TWD3 Discussion' started by Dnae, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdea...t-timeline-decade-apocalypse-nico-tortorella/

Nico Tortorella, who was cast in the lead role of AMC’s third Walking Dead series in August, says the untitled spinoff is set a decade after the start of the zombie outbreak.

“His name is Felix and he is very much the protector of a younger generation,” the Younger star told the Chicago Tribune when asked to describe his character. “The show is focusing on a younger generation of people, 10 years post-apocalypse, and I’m kind of the dad in charge.”

That puts the spinoff, now filming under working title “Monument,” in sync with the mothership series heading into its tenth season. A six-year time jump during Season 9 moved current action on The Walking Dead roughly into year ten of the apocalypse.

The earliest details from TWD3 said two young female protagonists will lead the series as it tells the story of the first generation raised after the fall of civilization. According to an official description released by AMC during San Diego Comic-Con in July, “Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. In the end, all of them will be changed forever. Grown-up and cemented in their identities, both good and bad.”

Much like The Walking Dead and spinoff Fear the Walking Dead, this third series will follow a group of survivors in their own corner of the shared TWD Universe. Tortorella is joined by previously announced co-stars Aliyah Royale as Iris, Annet Mahendru as Huck, Alexa Mansour as Hope, Nicolas Cantu as Elton, Hal Cumpston as Silas and Joe Holt as Leo Bennett.

“The big secret is that all along, there have been other civilizations that survived the apocalypse. We saw hints of that in Season 7 of The Walking Dead and again in [Fear Season 5 episode] ’The End of Everything,’ and now we’re about to show a lot more of the world in a bunch of different projects,” Gimple noted at Comic-Con. “These kids can grow up in a place of comfort and security, but they leave everything on a dangerous quest, and are being pursued by adults on their own. We’ll see kids become heroes and some become villains. We’re going to open up a whole new world of TWD.”

Because TWD3 is part of that larger universe, Gimple hinted the series will exhibit ties to another project: the franchise’s first movie trilogy, led by longtime Rick Grimes star Andrew Lincoln.

ComicBook.com at TWD’s Season 10 premiere screening in Hollywood. “And so, we’re going to discover a whole lot through him, and as there is a little connection to the new show, so people will see some things about the new show and go, ‘Wait a minute. What’s up there?’ So, get ready.”

Former Walking Dead star Michael Cudlitz was recently confirmed as a director on the spinoff series now filming in Virginia. AMC will debut TWD3 in Spring 2020.

2. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The truth is out there

3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I am curious to see this show but I have one reservation that hopefully will be explained in the new series.

Based on the trailer it appears that this community is 9k plus and it appears to be highly functional and pretty close to the "old world" as possible. Damn near looks like a pocket of preserved life.

Now since the show is 10 years in, and Alexandria, Hilltop, and Oceanside are also roughly 10 years in and they look like colonial America. It kind of shits on what Rick and our group was able to accomplish.

Like we watched this group start from nothing and build these communities up so much that we have to be impressed. Then we see this new place that is much further along in the same time period, kind of makes what our group accomplished very unimpressive.

I hope they explain that this was basically a large town that wasn't bombed and just built a fence and didn't have to start off in the woods in tents. Basically a larger version of Alexandria with thousands of people from the start.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I could see this being a community that was greatly aided by the government in the early stages of the outbreak thus explaining how they are so beyond where our beloved communities are.

I do agree with you though that an explanation as to the why of it all is needed from the onset.

And it does appear as though the two sisters, along with two friends, will be venturing out to find their father. Might whatever has befallen the father be the beginning of the end for these communities? The one sister believes that their way of life is not sustainable, that the outside, larger world will at some point encroach upon their way of lifes. Seems she believes they are living on borrowed time. And we also know that one of these sisters will end up the"good guy" and the other sister will end up as the "bad guy". Guesses how that will play out? I am thinking that the sister we see giving the speech in the beginning will be the sister who become the bad guy.

And the slightly older guy, who is he? He did not leave with the sisters and two friends. He and the girl wearing the sunglasses did not appear to be part of the initial group of 4 who leave. Do they go out in search of their friends? Is the guy someone they all meet outside of the walls?

#4 Dnae, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

That honestly was one of the worst trailers I have ever seen.

6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't think it really got me excited as much as it just made me ask a bunch of questions. Like I'm not all hyped up to see it, but I'll watch because I'm curious. If that makes sense.

Actually it'll probably be a 6 episode season, so I'll just binge watch it.

7. lastcat3

Yeah the only good thing is that it is going to be a lot shorter season so maybe they can manage to have a little bit more concise storytelling than they generally do in these 16 episode seasons.

But in anycase I really am starting to feel like AMC is losing their grip on this franchise. After all this trailer was released just about a week ago or so about teens living in a zombie apocalypse. I don't think there Is any question which story looks better.

I think AMC needs to start taking notes from NaughtyDog on how to write stories within a zombie apocalypse. Even if you still like the original show they are merely adapting already existing material in that show. Watching new TWD content like this doesn't give much hope to the regular show once it has to start creating its own original stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lastcat3

I'll just talk about the story here in my post and not get into my current feelings about the franchise as a whole again.

It does seem extremely odd that this show is taking place right around the same time the main show is currently at. At first when I saw all those scenes of the characters just acting like normal school kids I thought we were being shown flashbacks but when it became clear it was happening present day a decade into the apocalypse it was really jarring. It really doesn't make it seem like it is all taking place in the same universe. You'd think that if there were communities that well off to the point to where they were able to have kids live the life of normal kids the people in the Alexandria communities would have heard about them. It's not like all these groups are located on separate continents or anything. And there is not just one but supposedly three of these large scale communities.

Add to that unless all these people just stayed in their homes and huge walls were built up all around them I don't see how their societies recovered that quickly. THe ending of the comic showed a society where they had managed to recover to a degree but they were still living like people of the Old West and that took place almost three decades into the apocalypse. With this show we are on the same timeline as the other shows and somehow, someway these people in this new show are living like it is 1997. I won't at all be surprised if we start watching the show and these people have telephones or a form of the internet.

Honestly AMC should have done what the comic did and if they wanted to show a highly functioning society like this they should have jumped in time several decades from where the shows currently are at.

I watched a couple reviews of the trailer and they all said it seems like AMC is aiming the new show at a different demographic from who is currently watching the franchise and I agree with that. I think they are trying to attract more of the teenage crowd with this show. Only problem is if they try to morph a Walking Dead show into the type of show teenagers are currently watching you lose the essence of what a post apocalyptic show is about.

I remember back in about 2017 when Sony released the second Last of Us 2 trailer where the female character got her arm smashed by a hammer and it received some criticism for being overly violent. Sony responded to the criticism by saying Last of Us are games made for adults meant to be played by adults and people who don't like violent games shouldn't play them. Unfortunately it seems AMC is taking the opposite approach to its zombie apocalypse franchise than Sony is.

#8 lastcat3, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

You did a better job explaining my feelings than I did, and I agree 100%. By having such a "modern" community, it just looks out of place. I mean technically it looks more realistic to what would actually happen in that world, but either way it just makes it look like it's taking place in a different universe. If anything it just makes the other groups early decisions look that much dumber. I mean sure the world ended, but to go live in tents out in the woods just seemed like a stupid idea when there are houses, warehouses, large buildings, and other locations that make much more sense.

I also agree with Last of Us. I think that first game was an amazing way to tell a story set in a zombie apocalypse. Basically take a character driven story about love and hate, relationships and loss, and set it in that type of world. Instead of creating the world and telling a story around it.

10. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

It is a 10 episode season.....will you still watch?

I will give it a go its first season.

I mean I am giving Prodigal Son a chance (because of Tom Payne) and that is proving to be an exercise in patience. The writing is just so damn cheesy. And last nights episode's dialogue was painful at times. I wish he would have held out for a different project.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Oh yea I'll give it a shot. Depending on when it is released, I might binge it though.