Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

TWD's Basic Rules for Zombies

Discussion in 'Zombie Chatter' started by ChrisQ, Nov 22, 2015.

1. ChrisQ

ChrisQ Member

I posted this in another forum, but didn't get much of a response. So I'll try it here.

Within the first few episodes of the series, TWD established some basic rules on how Zombies behave and act:

1. Zombies are drawn towards sounds, movement, and smells.
    2. Zombies will try to attack and eat any warm blooded animal.
    3. Zombies notice and follow the behavior of other zombies, often setting off an ever growing chain reaction, creating zombie hordes.

I like these rules. They are clear and concise. What's more they are simple enough that you could believe a near mindless creature would follow them. And yet they still have a lot of potential to create dangerous situations: You can shoot a zombie to kill it, but the noise will only attract even more zombies toward you.

This is different from other depictions of the Zombie Apocalypse. Usually the whole approach you see elsewhere consists entirely of - Zombies attack people because that's just what zombies do.

My questions is: Are these rules original to "The Walking Dead?" Or did they "borrow" them from another source?

2. Cpt-Rhodes

Cpt-Rhodes New Member

I could be wrong but those are all similar rules Max Brooks uses in the ZSG and WWZ. He says that even the moans themselves can attract another zombie, and that in itself could cause a chain reaction, pulling zombies in from all over the place.

Now from what I have found online TWD came out in 03 and WWZ in 06. I suppose it just all depends on how many rules Kirkman actually solidified in his books until Brooks came along with his.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

For the most part, these rules are borrowed from Romero's zombies.