Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

volume 3

Discussion in 'Volume 3: Safety Behind Bars' started by fruitfulandgay, Apr 21, 2014.

1. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

Dang, I thought someone would have done this by now. I'm not going to be reliable for Sunday nights. Tourism is on the upswing here. Just finished a 13 hr shift. By all means, start the comic disco if you have an opinion.

2. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

This volume reminds me of one reason why I was sad to see Dale go. not only for his wisdom and presence, but for his RV. It is amazing how that was the Iconic image of their travels to the prison. Like an episode of Star Trek, you kinda expect to see the vessel they are traveling in. It had so many uses before going out like a champ and making way for Abraham's Rig on up to DC (where I believe they still have it in the comics today.)

I also remember the first time I read through these issues, and thinking "Wow, first Shane, then this Thomas guy. This world is full of some sick people who should just be grateful to be alive." I was now prepared to keep a closer eye on every survivor they met, and was not prepared for the first "Real" bad guy this series had lurking just around the corner. Even with these minor incidents, I was totally content with the series as a whole. Some people just went bad, and you had to keep an eye on anyone you did not personally know (although Thomas was not a surprise to me, They don't tend to throw tax cheats in with murderers and rapists and I knew he was bad news at "Meatloaf").

So much going on, with so little going on here. Much more development with a bit less relationship exploration (Though there was plenty of that as well, but more subdued this volume) And bad guys in their midst that are some dangerous dudes, but nothing compared to what's over the horizon. Even before I knew what was coming next, this was still an epic read for me... Ah to be young again...

3. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Wait... Did we already loose the book club? Only 3 volumes in, and it's still a long way till October. The wait is not going to get easier folks, come play! Where is [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION] with that awesome post of mentions... I am too lazy to do it myself tonight.

4. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

He's right here!
    [MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION] [MENTION=27521]kennyisalive94[/MENTION] [MENTION=8031]Jen7[/MENTION] [MENTION=3700]H5N1[/MENTION] [MENTION=4472]Tyler[/MENTION] [MENTION=36182]Dwight[/MENTION] [MENTION=8456]Stuff&Thangs[/MENTION] [MENTION=8303]Tony Davis[/MENTION] [MENTION=26751]TheWalking Horn[/MENTION] [MENTION=8873]TGO[/MENTION] [MENTION=25242]Z-Man[/MENTION] [MENTION=27911]Shumpert[/MENTION] [MENTION=25252]BelieveinRick[/MENTION] [MENTION=26222]Sadie Dixon[/MENTION] [MENTION=3328]Zachary P.[/MENTION] [MENTION=4931]Machete[/MENTION] [MENTION=4463]Agramer[/MENTION] [MENTION=23261]SFA[/MENTION] [MENTION=36981]lewh[/MENTION] [MENTION=34942]Toothpick[/MENTION] [MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION]

Come join the party. :)

5. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

Whoa, it's that time already? It's been a fast week for me.

I'm afraid to say, since I never read the earlier comics, I've been binge reading them and am on #47 now. But 13-18....that is when they enter the prison and meet Axel and everyone. Also the double suicide. One thing I thought was funny was Kirkman's knack for killing off characters before we even know who they were. They get killed after they've never said a single word and everyone's like "NO! YOUR NAME!". That was especially evident and these early issues.

I love Axel. His catchphrase never got old, it only got funnier and funnier in time, especially

..you follow me? XD

Also the deaths of Susie and Rachel. Did anyone else laugh when their heads were going "rah" "guk". LOL

And then probably one of the best issues in the series, when Thomas gives Andrea her iconic scar, and Rick beats the living bejeasous out of him. Teeth sticking out of his hand and all. I already was a Rick and Andrea shipper when she was on the same page as him about his "You kill. You die." rule. And Rick finally telling Lori off.

6. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

The thing about Susie and Rachel I was wondering was, and this ties back to the tv show, was the Karen/David murders supposed to be an echo of this? It is what I was thinking when they were found in the show, and figured we had ourselves a Thomas on the loose - Turns out it was just Carol - but does that not put Carol in the same column as Thomas? It makes Rick's exiling her seem tame in comparison to a lynching (Or flat out execution by Maggie)

Also the unfortunate situation of Tyreese's daughter. Man, were the undead even a problem in this volume or just the people? I know we fought some zombies, but this volume was the start of the "People are the real problem anymore" angle. Which is good foreshadowing for what is next, but this was real early in the series to already see the undead as an obstacle as opposed to a real threat. And they never really came back from that, as the comic quickly shifted to "People are evil, plus - Zombies!". From this new reread, I realize they abandoned the Zombie movie format somewhere between the Atlanta camp and the prison. The undead from here on out are more of a setting than the story proper.

Not a dig at all, just an observation. :)

7. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

8. Shumpert

Shumpert Member

just need to catch up a bit

9. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Mazzara really screwed up the prison arc

10. lewh

lewh Member

I haven't had time to read all 6 issues this weekend! Unfortunately I have been doing a lot of university work as some is due in for tomorrow! I will soon catch up though and pitch in to the discussion! However much I wanted to I have been realllllllly busy sorry folks

11. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

It seems like he didn't attempt to make humans threatening until now. They ran into bad news real fast with the prison and each other.

12. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Um, I have no idea where I'm at since I'm reading out of the compendium.

13. TheWalkingHorn

Oh, and my observations thus far have been:
    A) Carol is a horn dog.
    B) I still can't stand Lori.

14. TheWalkingHorn

[MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION] @legendx66 @kennyisalive94 @Jen7 @H5N1 @Tyler @Dwight @Stuff&Thangs @Tony Davis [MENTION=13762]fruitfulandgay[/MENTION] @TGO @Z-Man @Shumpert @BelieveinRick @Sadie Dixon @Zachary P. @Machete @Agramer @SFA @lewh @Toothpick @jwcoombs

I just copied most of these from [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION] 's post. Is this thing happening? I'm not sure how to keep track of where I'm at. In the compendium I'm on Chapter 5: The Best Defense.

Side note: when I read the part where Rick tells Lori to shut the **** up I laughed out loud!

15. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

The compendium chapters are the same as the volumes. So if you're up to chapter 5, you're on volume 5.

16. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

issues 13-18, "Safety Behind Bars"

17. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

I'm sorry everyone. Spring break is happening around here, the farmers market just restarted. Soon it will be the tall ships and spoleto. I'm overwhelmed with long shfts right now. 37 hours in the last 3 days, but I'll be back as soon as I can.

18. Zachary P.

Zachary P. Member

Sorry am late posting agin. But I will try to have volume 4 read on time. But for now about volume 3...
    this is the volume where the series got really good. I liked the first two volumes but volume 3 is where it stared getting better. I can't really thank of anything to say about it right now. But I thank there will be some volumes I can say something about. But the first 3 volumes I just could not thank of any thing to say really about them.

19. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Sorry that I still haven't read this volume, but I just couldn't catch any free time for it. I don't wanna give excuses or lie, but I will continue my reading.

20. BelieveinRick

BelieveinRick Member

Agreed, Especially about Lori! Sorry again for the late post! I'm caught up now. Really enjoying the comic!