Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Walkers don't seem to be as agressive.

Discussion in 'Episode 311 - I Ain't a Judas' started by dogfighter, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NameTaker

NameTaker Member

Yeah I'm curious about the evolution of TWD zombies, as far as decomposition goes. It seems like the very fresh zombies look exactly the same as the living person, just with creepy eyes etc... remembering walker Amy and walker Shane, which reanimated and looked very similar. Most of the other walkers in comparison always look very roughed up, lots of wounds, grey skin, skin peeling away, decomposing essentially. Remember the bicycle zombie in episode 1 was very decomposed, and that indicated that she had been turned a while ago. So maybe after time they get weaker in a way.

I also believe that they are much more dangerous in groups, like Morgan said in episode 1. When they are in groups, they almost work together in a way, like at the department store, and at the farm. There have not been any large groups of walkers in season 3, except sort of in the prison yard, but the group was able to take out the walkers with guns from a range, and weren't worried about being overwhelmed on the ground.

2. apiratesaysarrr

At first I thought that bicycle chick was decomposed as well, but then I thought that she'd really probably been eaten for the most part and for whatever reason left there or. . . I don't know. I don't think that she had just been laying there decomposing. She was probably mostly eaten before she turned.

And even if the "oh, they're getting worse because they've decomposed more" theory were true, it certainly wouldn't apply to ALL zombies because people get bit and turn into zombies at different rates. Surely it had slowed down a lot by the time Rick got out of the hospital, but I'm sure that new zombies are being made every day, so there should, on a rare occasion, be an almost normal looking zombie.

I feel like they did the zombies differently in season one, felt like they wanted them to be more stupid than they initially showed and just changed it. Eh, I'm fine with that.

3. Canada Guy

Canada Guy Member

I'm agree with the original post about walkers being less aggressive than season 1&2. In fact, with the way they are now - I can't be convinced they would have been able to overcome the military. However, because I love the show and the constant struggle...I allow myself to ignore it. But he way they are now - just give me the right weapons and a few helpers and let me own my own wallmart or something.

4. arroncarlton

arroncarlton Member

Have you considered that the zombies are in a weaker state? Slowly starving. I would think as time goes by, they become more lethargic

5. Dennis00Castro

The virus effects every victim differently. Some turn faster then others. Based on that it would be reasonable to assume that the virus effects each victim's physical and cognitive abilities differently as they turn.

Some may retain some rudimentary memories, motor skills and cognitive abilities based on how they were in their previous life. Some may be mores aggressive. Some may be weak. Some may be just stupid. All based on how they were before they turned.

6. Ms. Jones

Ms. Jones Member

One of the first episodes in season one, when they were in the department store and walkers were trying to get in, one put up a rock and kept on hitting it against the glass door.

I also agree that the walkers are less aggressive and I think [MENTION=2381]arroncarlton[/MENTION] is in a way right.
    In another thread we were thinking about how much time has passed since the outbreak and most people thought 10-11 months.
    That means almost a year for walkers to decompose, if they were zombies from the beginning, and a year of constant walking around and maybe they don't find enough food anymore (whatever amount is 'enough' for a walker). That could somehow weaken them and make them more lethargic than they were in the beginning.

7. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

In the episode you refer to where you say "they climbed over a fence", it was only ONE walker. With the breaking the glass with the rock, that was only one walker. There is the occasional walker that may go slightly above and beyond for food, but for the most part they usually don't climb and hop fences and what not

8. Conch Republican

I think that's an important part of things

9. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

This further proves my point that the walkers were more intelligent and aggressive.

10. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

Yea but they would at least try.

11. ChokeHldsIllegal

Love the idea about muscle memory, love the avatar, and love the user name... classic all around : )

12. GovernorsGal

GovernorsGal New Member

I actually tend to think that perhaps it's just because there is so much drama going on without the need of crazed walkers, despite it's what the show is about. Huh...I could be wrong though, just my take on it.

13. Dennis00Castro

According to Kirkman TWD zombies are based on Romero's Zombies. There is a general rule that no walker can move faster then the very first zombie in Night of The Living Dead. If you go back watch it moves quicker than you think.

It's also stated in Dawn of The Dead that Zombies retain some rudimentary memories and characteristics of who they were before they were bitten. It is reasonable to conclude that how you were before you turned has some residual effect on how you are as a Walker. Therefore if you were smart, aggressive, weak, stupid and so on, some of that carries over.

14. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

I suppose I worded that wrong. TWD zombies are like some other living dead in different movies/shows/games for sure, but they are not like many others. Basically zombies smarts/physical abilities are each unique to that m/s/g and cannot be held to a single standard. (L4D special infected would have killed everyone in no time:zombies_lol:)

I like your idea about them still retaining simple characteristics, it's a good theory.

Thanks man! t's my GT as well.

Yeah, I think they do try, just don't have the ability.

#34 ripbongs420, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  15. dax

dax Member

How can she know that is where morgan is? That wasn't even Morgan's house pre apocalypse, remember when Rick was there and asked why morgan was in the house....he mention's the owners names.

16. Shane#22

Shane#22 Well-Known Member

Bob and Cindy Drake, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Its Fred

#36 Shane#22, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  17. kmangel

kmangel Member

I don't think she knew where he was. If it had been her house, then I can see why the writers would have her turn the knob of the house, but it wasn't. Walkers can't turn any knobs--yet the writers had her turn that particular knob with Morgan inside. Maybe he hollered out to her from the window "Babe, here I am!" and she recognized his voice from her memory. Besides the house not being her house, her turning the knob was not something she could even do (I'm not buying the muscle memory theory). Otherwise ALL the walkers would be turning knobs, climbing fences, throwing rocks, etc. It was something the writers chose to do to ramp up the horror aspect of the show--but then later decided to stop having the walkers be capable of doing.

18. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

It was S1 E2 "Guts". A couple of them had rocks trying to break the glass.

19. highway234

highway234 Member

my take on The Walking Dead is that, with the exception of the part about zombification becoming contagious, they're being very strict about sticking to the original Romero rules from Night of the Living Dead. Hence the zombies are slow, weak, and stupid, and are only a threat when they attack in large numbers. They've been very disciplined about not borrowing from any of the successor movies like Return of the Living Dead or Resident Evil, hence no fast zombies, no split dogs, no smart zombies, etc. part of what I love about that show is that they keep it old-school.

Ever wonder why the show is being made by American Movie Classics? It's obvious why "Mad Men" is on AMC, it's set in the past, but TWD isn't set in the past. The reason it's an AMC show is because it's faithful to the classic zombie movie rules.

20. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I have a not so scientific theory on it. I think the walkers are less aggressive because this season is all about fear the people left, because they are a bigger problem. So...the walkers while an irritant, are not the worst of their worries.

#40 Felicia, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013