Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Was Daryl bluffing with the finger amputation?

Discussion in 'Episode 1007 - Open Your Eyes' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Look how far we've come, Randall. Eight years ago the decision of what to do with Randall Carver in the barn was a several episode crisis. Granted Alpha's group is a clearer threat, but look at how the outlook of the group has changed after so many years of the apocalypse. Still hesitation on the part of some, but the action was pretty quick.

What would Dale say? Would he be on board with torture or murder to keep the community safe?

And was Daryl really about to cut off the first finger before the prisoner mentioned Lydia being dead, or was it a bluff? And if NOT a bluff, then was all 10 fingers and both ears also not a bluff?

And whose corner are you in? Carol's? [no guilt or hesitation, this is what we do], Daryl's [medium reluctance, and probably would have not done this on his own, yet is part of the action now that the prisoner is in front of him], or Gabe's [even more reluctance, and probably not willing to be an active part of the torture]

• Like Like x 2
  2. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Great starter post, Neuro.

I find these torture situations deeply upsetting to watch. Carol's face when she was hurting him... it's not how you want to see someone you care about. I hated it when Daryl was torturing Randall back in the day, yet they needed the information. How on earth were they going to get it otherwise in a short space of time? Getting someone on board with kindness and building trust takes a long time. Torture can get quick results.

I jolly well hope Daryl was bluffing. Maybe one finger? I hate to think. Thank god we didn't have to go there.

It was maddening that Daryl, with his best intentions and protectiveness, stopped Carol from bringing Lydia to the prisoner. That would have been much better than Carol deciding to showcase an unprepared Lydia at night in Whisperer territory without backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

The feeling I got from that scene was that Daryl wasn't bluffing because he went at the prisoner right after the guy said that they weren't strong enough. If he then threatened to cut off his finger, and didn't do it that would just reinforce what the guy said about them being weak.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I would say Daryl was not bluffing.
    Actually, when the guy said, 'You are weak', I thought Daryl would then take off his shirt and showed his scars (both front and rear) to the guy. That should dispel any myth of being weak.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BlackBird

I think you're right, at least one finger would have been in serious danger of being detached... I'm so happy that never happened.

6. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

I don't think he was bluffing. Why didn't they just say something to Lydia? That would have been easier than dragging her out and having it turn badly when Gamma sees her.

7. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

Until he proves me wrong, I think he was bluffing.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

It would've been too early to start cutting off digits. Carols approach was the right one to start with. First the humanity and kindness for a few days, then the pain. Starting with the pain gives you little leverage. I want to think Daryl wasnt going to do it, but i think he was ready to do it he wasnt' bluffing. I just think of what happened to Tara, Enid and Henry and i would've been cutting off private parts in vengeance.

9. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Dale would've definitely been charmed then subsequently killed by the Governor, golf country club zombies, the Hunters, the Claimers, the Wolves, unstable Morgan, the Alexandria zombie herd, Lucille, bad aim crossbow wielding Dwight, Simon, "you are not where you belong Whisperer guy", or decapitated in the barn with Tara & Co had he survived past Herschel's farm.

He couldn't even make it past stealth zombie so no way he lasts any further than each one of those crucial points. Only setting he would've survived is the Hospital... I'll give him that for some reason.

And no I think Daryl would've cut that guys fingers clean off forcing him to use his nubs to scarf down that jelly sandwich just so he could once again spit it on Carol forcing Daryl to slice off his remaining fingers in a rage.

"We ain't got bread to waste!"

10. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

I SOOO read that in Daryl's growling voice! LOL!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WillyJakkz

WillyJakkz Active Member

Lol that's how I imagined it when I wrote it

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Was anyone else legit surprised when Carol uncovered the tray and it was..jam and bread? Lol, I was like dang, Carol can make any food seem scary! I was expecting a tray of glistening torture devices

I don't know if Daryl would have followed through -it's been awhile since Daryl wore an ear necklace tho'. Carol took a cue from Lydia about trying to entice him by showing how good it is there which was an obvious fail, so what else can you use to intimidate someone except physical violence?
    *Bonus Points to Carol for slipping her ring back on before punching him the face*

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Dale is dead.
    Daryl is not.

Even Hershel had a understanding of violence when violence is needed at the end. Dale didn't and Dale died, he was a good man not fit for this crazy world.

I did honestly expect it not to be torture devices. But he sure did deserve the beating she gave him.

Also, they should start with the top of the fingers, then the ears, then some more fingers, then the nose, Toes exist too. There is plenty ways to do some torture...But yeah, it is a very gruesome thing. And I think they would do it, it is a bad world and someone need to be the "REALLY BLOODY BAD COP!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I too had shades of Randall in this episode. I'm not sure if Daryl would have gone through with it, I think he was bluffing. It was essentially "good cop, bad cop".

Dale, of all the past characters, is the most interesting "what if" to me. He was absolute, in a way he was the opposite of Shane in terms of influence on Rick.

Rick was still trying to figure out the right way to live in this world when they were on the farm. He had Shane trying to pull him one way and Dale pulling the other. In a way it's fitting they both died on the farm. It gave him two different influences in Hershel and Daryl. One being a softer version of Shane and the other being a more realistic version of Dale.

But I would have loved to see what Dale would have become, had he lived this long.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. BlackBird

Of course, Daryl is a lot more complex than a softer version of Shane, main difference being that Shane's concerns for the group were always wrapped in what was best for HIM. Daryl's pragmatism (in case of Randall) came solely from his concern for the group, already back at the farm. When it came down to it, torture was ok with him, killing Randall wasn't. (In itself, that's another interesting thing how the Daryl of today would deal with Randall now.)
    But for the sake of contrasting influences, I see why you'd describe Daryl as softer version of Shane, seeing through bullshit and not afraid to use violence if that was needed to protect the group. I thought your post was brilliant.