Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Westwingnut's Thread of Boredom

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by westwingnut, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

when i hear trump's "I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data--" i want to end it with "--and partly based on my commitment to being bat shit crazy."

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

This recent discussion reminds me of one of my favorite lines from The West Wing: "That's nice. But I live in the actual world".

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The Humane Society threatens to sue the federal government:

http://time.com/4661446/usda-animal-website-humane-society-lawsuit/

"The Humane Society said the Agriculture Department must make its inspection records at animal research facilities public under a court order. The animal organization had sued the government in 2005 over public access to the reports and won a settlement in 2009 that directed the Agriculture Department to post certain data on its website related to research on animals. That information, the Humane Society said, was among the data that was just purged from government website."

Oops, always best to understand the law before deciding to hide information from the public.

• Like Like x 1
  4. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Stuck in the middle with you

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. surviving

Oversight, not attempt to hide anything.

6. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Pot, meet kettle.

7. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I disagree. They removed all of the specific information related to animal welfare violations from their website. Information that had been included on the website. So if you aren't trying to hide information, why remove it?

The oversight was that it was illegal to do so.

8. westwingnut

Appeals court schedules arguments on Trump travel ban

My gut feeling is the district court will be overturned and the travel ban will be reinstated.

Still, Donald Trump never misses an opportunity to act like a 5yo, and he did not fail to do so on this issue with his tweet about the "so-called judge".

9. surviving

The ruling judge is an activist. I dont think the 9th will overturn given they are the most liberal and progressive federal appeals court in the US. On the other hand it is precedent that courts do not have any jurisdiction over immigration law that is a power given specifically to Congress by the Constitution

• Like Like x 1
  10. westwingnut

The question to me is whether any President has the power to rescind the visas of foreigners who had already completed the entry process. There are Due Process aspects to be considered, even if the applicants are not US citizens. And since this is the 9th circuit, it should make for an interesting read.

11. westwingnut

Donald Trump Is Not Welcome To Address Parliament, U.K. Speaker Declares

It appears that Bercow can keep Trump out of the House of Commons, but not out of the House of Lords.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Bwahahahahaha!! That's hilarious! I don't know if you were being serious, but that's the funniest thing I've read all day.

[​IMG]

http://usuncut.com

13. surviving

Do you mean after they are actually here in the US? Or before? The Supreme Court ruled immigrants have no legal recourse for a visa being denied outside the borders of the US in 2015. Once inside the US everyone all the basic legal rights afforded to them by the Constitution regardless of immigration status. The Constitution does not extend beyond the physical borders of US.

14. surviving

No, What purpose does it serve? It is an oversight by whoever is in charge of this now. It will be fixed soon.

15. surviving

16. Lindigo

i still don't understand the financial ramifictions. for example, the figures here include the federal social security benefits that currently come to california citizens. the calexit people say, don't worry, SSA benefits would follow california citizens because the payments were already earned from the us goverment. that makes sense to me. i think people who go abroad after retirement still get their benefits. would ssa disability benefits follow? i don't know. i suppose they currently do and would do so for a calexit as well. what happens now to people who change citizenship? i don't know. it can't be very many.

bottom line, i don't know how many of the supposed downsides really would be downsides.

the petition i signed was to consider the possibility of a calexit. if that is approved, then we would be educated about the actual financial impacts.

i am inclined to believe this last paragraph in that story:

so, yes, i still think a calexit would benefit californians. i could be wrong, but that's what i still think for now.

17. Lindigo

i think this says spicer said snl is mean to donald (which his boss would make him say). i don't think spicer really minded for himself.

18. Lindigo

i want to play! since we are making guesses, i think the ninth circuit will agree with the stay on the ban. and then it will go en banc and the stay will still be upheld. and then it will go to scotus and the stay will still be upheld. and then it will be remanded back to washington for trial on the merits.

#1218 Lindigo, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  19. westwingnut

Suppose a person goes to the US consulate in their country and receives a visa to enter the US. Does the President have the power to unilaterally rescind that visa?

20. westwingnut

Sean Spicer took the Melissa McCarthy impression in stride, but perhaps his boss did not.

White House rattled by McCarthy's spoof of Spicer