Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you rate this episode?

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Carl Grimes, Nov 30, 2014.

?

Episode rating?

1. 10

20 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 9

27 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. 8

37 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. 6

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. 5

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. 4

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. 1

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

3x8 was ZZZ minus Gov V Michonne

2. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Yeah, everyone saw her death coming from a country mile and it happened too fast, worst death since Andrea's, at least Andrea got to say goodbye to the group, but I never cared about Beth so her lame death doesn't affect my opinion about the episode, it was good, or maybe because I had very low expectations.

3. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Feeling generous and gave it a 9. Opening sequence was awesome. Best line from this episode without a doubt is Ricks simple statement of "shut up". Bad ass Michonne killing zombies with a bambino strapped to her back. Each and every time Rick gave us his stone cold stare. Rick, Daryl and Maggie's reactions to the death of Beth. Morgan finding the map.

4. LMT

LMT Member

This.

I gave it an 8 though.

5. JFAN

JFAN Member

I gave it an 8. Best thing about it to me was seeing Morgan at the end.

6. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

I rate it a pretty nice 9/10. Thoroughly enjoyed the pacing of the episode and I was interested from start to finish. Lots of awesome Rick moments and the most balanced character interactions so far since Four Walls and a Roof. I also really liked the female cop whose name I can't remember. You know which one. Not Dawn. Also, we finally have the group back together which can only mean we're done with stupid side plots. Overall really solid episode.

Downsides: Gabriel and Beth. Oh Gabriel, you're seriously a goddamned albatross, aren't you? And Beth? That was totally your fault. Can't even fault Dawn for shooting her because that was pure reflex. Didn't want her to die (Beth, I mean) but what she did ranks at the top for Stupidest Things TWD Characters Have Ever Done.

What the **** was her plan exactly? Kill Dawn and then what? She didn't even think about all the people behind her who risked their lives to get her back. What if that had resulted in a shootout? Which was exactly where it was heading until female-cop-whose-name-I-can't-remember stopped them. Ugh. **** you Beth. I'm not glad you're dead but you totally deserved to die for that.

ETA: Morgan finding the map! Yes!!!

#26 nomaveck, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  7. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

"Coda" was the greatest episode since the first 3 episodes of season 5, it had everything in a WD episode I wanted to see. Bad ass Rick Grimes acting like Shane and killing a cop, Michonne using her katana again and slicing walkers apart, Carl shooting walkers and defending Judith, Sasha showing off her female warrior attitude AGAIN (I'm really starting to like her) and Morgan showing up at the end of the episode apparently looking for Rick.
    Can't wait for Lennie James to return to TWD.

#27 The Wolf, Dec 1, 2014
  8. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

very weak, Beth/Dawn death so silly that i thought that i was watching The Hunger Games

9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Still not sure who were the good guys and who were the bad guys, and the death of Beth was pointless (and I don't even care about her character).

Beth's life and death in this whole story arch was just a prop for other characters. Lame.

10. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Yes, this. Though there were very some good individual scenes (mainly those with Rick), the whole episode was vaguely disturbing. Kind of like component parts of something that don't quite all fit together. It was as if there were 3 groups of writers in separate rooms writing stories that had to be duck-taped together at the end.

The cop story was ambiguous. Would a group of mostly good cops really run down people with their cars, kidnap them and hold them as sex slaves and worker slaves? Or tolerate a very small group of bad cops who do this? If the point they were making is that you can't always tell who is good and who is bad -- well, they made that point.

The arrival of the fire truck "in the nick of time' was the first time in the whole series I felt the story was contrived. Although Eugene, lying there unconscious in the back seat, was pretty funny. (Still faking it in a different way, maybe?)

I though Beth's death was well done. It was a sudden, unexpected, swift and brutal end to what, until that moment, had looked like a successful rescue. I like it when TWD catches you by surprise. (Not a surprise that Beth died, but the timing and rapidity of it)

11. grasshopper

grasshopper New Member

I thought it was a pretty good episode, the changes in Ricks character are interesting and disturbing, since he chewed that guys throat out and then Gareths crew he's turning into a killing machine. The group had to talk him out of killing everyone in the hospital initially. Maggie's entire family is now dead, bar Glenn i guess, she didn't mention Beth much leading up to this episode but losing Beth will presumably knock her around for a while? Sasha is moving through her grief and acting the survivor again, but what is going on with Tyrese? He's come over all morally speechy, can we get the Tyrese that went nuts with the hammer on the herd when the car got stuck back? He was awesome. Surely Gabriel is going to die shortly, it stretches credibility that someone completely unable to defend himself has survived this long post apocalypse. I'm dead keen to see Morgan back on the show, hope he finds a car to catch up to the group faster. Not heaps worried Beth is gone, they spent a fair bit of time building her up this season only to kill her in a confusing way, why stab Dawn? It was never going to end well. I'm keen to see what happens with Abraham now that his mission has been taken away, maybe he can be the nutter that Tyrese was?

12. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I give this one a 7 because I was just never convinced by the entire hospital setting and the characters involved in that arc. I didn't think it was possible, but they made the hospital even more ridiculous in 5x8 by having a sudden potential power shift with Elevator Shaft Cop, suddenly looking to overthrow Dawn. Then we learn at the end that the overwhelming number of cops were good, but let a couple of bad ones rape and terrorize people. That's not realistic in a more alpha type environment as a police department.

The episode was redeemed though for me by the well done opening scene with Rick and the excellent final clip showing Morgan. It amazes me that they can have such brilliant moments and then such subpar ones.

13. Monty70

Monty70 Member

That's funny. There are no "good or bad guys" anymore, only survivors.

Good episode, I'd say a solid 8.

14. StoryLine

StoryLine Member

Gave it a 1.

Way too much build up for nothing. Don't see why Norman Reeds had to cry for an hour.

Dawn's attempt to loot Noah was lame and Beth's attack was funny.

While the first 4 episodes in Season 5 were brilliant, the last 4 were stupid.

Scott Gimple, stick to the comic and don't try to be intelligent. Your formula of 4 episode short story is getting too boring.

#34 StoryLine, Dec 1, 2014
  15. Cody V

Cody V Member

I gave this episode a 9...I'm a spoiler phreak so Beth's death was not a surprise at all, but there were several great moments (Bob 2 getting hit by Rick in the cop car). This MSF wasn't as good as the Season 4 MSF, but it was still better than the filler episodes in the middle of the first half. What has become obvious over this first half of season 5 is what the TWD formula for success is: Rick Grimes. Every scene Rick was in was captivating, tension filled, and quite frankly awesome....Andrew Lincoln owns every scene he is in in this episode. I hope the second half features a lot more Rick and a lot more Carl with Abraham taking a supporting role within the group, with the occasional badass zombie kill...

16. Psy

Psy Member

The intro when Rick said "shut up" after killing officer bob ..loved it was an instant 8.

17. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

I give it a 9 again. Pretty good mid-season finale, but it didn't beat "Too Far Gone". Good writing and directing. And yes, we lost Beth... So R.I.P. sweet girl. It was a fun ride with you from the farm to the hospital.

18. Carls Hat

Carls Hat Member

Gotta give it a solid 8. Like most have said already, solid intro and other good parts, but it lacked the umph of a MSF for me. The exchange in the hospital was a little weird for me. Why would they even put themselves in that situation. Do the exchange outside. Wasn't surprised to see Beth go, as most weren't. They've been building her up to be stronger, but then scissors to the bulletproof vest Beth? Really? And it seemed weird that Noah wasn't putting up more of a fight. He broke out for a reason! Other than that and a little too long with Gabriel's wandering, entertaining.

19. Undeadfellow

Undeadfellow New Member

I gave it a six, I mean I didn't really observe who would die as it's the last episode until next year or so, the reasons I gave this episode a six are because;

• Beth's death. She didn't have to die, but then again if she walked away (as Dawn already had her gun out), it's predictable that Dawn would've shot Beth through the back of her head from a small distance as everyone was turned away upon ready to leave the hospital through the hallway.
    • The male priest at the church, his footage was merely an overstatement. I mean, it wasted valuable time considering it was the final episode, everyone was hyped in regards to the trade, rather than the actual priest himself lmfao. But then again his footage was how the infected swarmed the church.
    • Again the priest, nobody needed to swarm the church but I guess it was about time. The priest leaving the church was his random attempt at trying to survive which had no relevance to the main plot line which was holding the church down until the rest got back (Rick's mini group), though the Atlanta group which consisted of Maggie, Glenn, the "scientist" and what not got back first which was unexpected for the group however it was predicted at some point they'd return, considering the mass load of hordes they saw from afar on the main roads. Back to what I was saying, none of the people who came back from being on their way to Atlanta actually went inside or anything they just broke the stairs which in my opinion helped the infected get down quicker if they ever broke the door because they had obstacles beforehand (those organ pipes).

I won't lie it was real emotional though it would've been cool to see a happy mid-finale ending with a tease that'd make you want to see the next episode but can't which builds up the hype until it's aired. (Which means more views, right?).

How does one rate based on two words? Rick's a badass character but come on, be serious here.

All in all, I love The Walking Dead. C:

#39 Undeadfellow, Dec 1, 2014
  20. Strawberry

Strawberry Member

7. This episode gave me a lot of emotions. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.