Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What do you think about the graphics?

Discussion in 'Z1: Battle Royale' started by mark973, May 9, 2014.

1. mark973

mark973 Member

Honestly, they don't look very good. I mean, I know the game has been in development for only a short time and I don't really care much about graphics in games but it seems like it can break the immersion when you play. What do you all think?

2. sparkblade14

sparkblade14 Member

What makes you say it's not that good? I think it's fine IMO. It looks a bit better than DayZ but isn't as buggy. There's something off about night time graphics though. I'm not really sure what it is. I think it's that you can see the outline of someone far away at night.

3. mark973

mark973 Member

It just feels really clunky to me. It's the same thing with the animations. The graphics just look a tad off for some reason. Anyway, it's still early in development so I'm sure they'll make improvements to everything.

4. sparkblade14

sparkblade14 Member

Hmm, not sure what you mean by clunky. Do you mean the animations look robotic? I also think the colors look a bit artificial though. Were you getting your impressions of the livestream or youtube? Sometimes Youtube messes up the quality of the video. I guess we'll have to play the game to wait to judge though.

5. Agent

Agent Member

Meh, looks good enough to me, plus we are sure that we're going to get a lot of improvements over time since these are just the early versions of the game. Clunky animations could be a problem for a game like this, since it could make you lose because of the game and not your own fault, but it's too early to tell.

6. Lapolax

Lapolax Member

I find it to look quite nice actually. It's based on the Planetside 2 engine as far as I know, and I was actually quite surprised by the looks of the game. I'm not sure what you have watched, but from what I've seen on streams/youtube, I like the graphics and animations a lot. I'm not a person with very high standards though, but from what I can see, you'd have to be quite picky to call this "bad".

7. mark973

mark973 Member

Yeah, I guess I was thinking more about the animations and how they looked so erratic. I'm sure they'll be plenty of improvements soon, though.

8. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Member

Having technically amazing graphics isn't a must have in my opinion.
    I agree that the animations should be top-notch, and the graphics should emit a certain atmosphere, but I don't think that the textures and so on must be super-ultra high resolution, only decent enugh not to look bad. You need to keep the system requirements in mind, too.

9. mark973

mark973 Member

Yeah, like I said in the above post, I was probably thinking more about the animations than the actual graphics. Looking back at the trailer, the lighting also looks really good.

10. Ryguy2016

Ryguy2016 New Member

The graphics might not be the best but I bet they will work on them in further releases.

11. WhiteAsh

WhiteAsh Member

I think that graphics look OK for such an early version. H1Z1 is a free to play game so it has to work on a huge variety of hardware, from integrated laptop GPUs to high-end monster PCs and if I'm not mistaken because of that Forgelight still uses DirectX 9. Huge size of the game world is also a factor here, I reckon.

12. sparkblade14

sparkblade14 Member

Huh. Did not know it still used DX9. I think it's one of the better looking F2P games out there anyway. Blacklight Retribution has good graphics, but runs awfully on consoles (although I think this is more of a server issue).

13. mikelouis

mikelouis New Member

At the moment I think that graphics are not that bad. But when more and more people complain about them, am sure in the next release of the game, there will be more great graphics. Every new release always comes with much more improvements that the earlier versions.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer New Member

Yeah, I've seen better graphics too. But you have to give it to the developers, I mean they barely have enough time and the budget on this things aren't as high as those in other gaming giants. But yeah, I think they could've put a little bit more effort into it.

15. sparkblade14

sparkblade14 Member

The thing that I'll be interested in the most is render distance. In Planetside 2, render distance for groumd vehicles were all the same, but for infantry it varied depending on your settings. I think it'll be the same thing here. It kinda sucks cause in PS2 render distances would pretty erratic for infantry and air vehicles.

16. mark973

mark973 Member

Yeah, that's what I think too. I'm sure the graphics, lighting, and animations will improve greatly in the coming months.

17. Edware

Edware New Member

Graphics are rarely a big deal to me, but of course better graphics is a nice touch.

18. mark973

mark973 Member

Yeah, I think the same way but in a game like this, immersion is everything. So, great graphics really do help with that.

19. mark973

mark973 Member

Still, it's crazy how much the engine is able to handle. Even if the render distances are erratic, it's still really impressive.

20. Panda H1Z1

Panda H1Z1 New Member

In my opinion the graphics are looking good, they're not amazing HD graphics but then the graphics at the moment will be able to run on less good PC's what just means MORE PLAYERS will be able to play the game, that's good, right?