Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What is Carl like in the comics?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Season 6' started by Brian and Pris, Nov 13, 2015.

?

Carl

1. Good character

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Chump character

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Kill him!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. G.O.A.T.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Brian and Pris

So I'm not a comic reader, nor do I intend to be. Would some expert in the field please inform me as to what he is like in the comics, especially how he defers from his television counterpart.

thanks!

2. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

He's [looks at my avatar] one of my favourites, actually. Comic Carl is a good character imo.
    He's badass, pretty mature, yet he's usually a good person, though I've questioned it at times.

3. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I picked goat because he's just like tabitha. He's gonna die soon.

but definitely read the comics. I used to be like you. "Comics are for nerds. No, thanks." But then I stumbled on a place I could read them online for free and got addicted when something happens in one of the very first issues. I read through the first ~120ish issues in a week.

#3 HondaS2kXD, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. Brian and Pris

Is he a pretty ruthless guy? More like a carol or Rick (on bad days) or what? Is he unpredictable?

If he is so good in the comics I wonder why they aren't using that material in the show? Thoughts?

5. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

He's not as kind, thoughtful and just generally laid back as the TV version. However, on the other end - he's like [or was. haven't caught up] a massive badass. He's hardcore as f*ck.

6. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

He's not that different in the show, they just toned him down a bit.
    I think he's a lot like his dad, in the comics at least (imo Rick in the comics is different)
    He has had a few periods he was pretty ruthless and he's also had super hardcore days.
    But in general he's not insane nor a cold killer. He has a conscious and he knows right/wrong.

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Comic Carl is independent. Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes not. We have seen moments like that in the show, like when he went into the tombs on his own to get medical supplies, or all his other "stay in the house" moments. Currently, it looks as if he might go off on his own to find Enid. These things didn't happen in the comics, but they are representative of his character.

Mostly, we haven't got to his more badass comic moments yet. And one of his earlier, defining badass moments was taken by Carol in the show, which was great for her character development but maybe not so good for Carl. We'll get there, though.

8. Brian and Pris

what moment was given to Carol???

9. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

The Lizzie/Mika storyline thing.

In the comic its two twin boys and one of them is of course not right in the head. Ben kills his brother and the group have to seriously discuss what to do with him, some are open to killing him, some are not. Ultimately, the debate goes nowhere. Carl in the middle of night sneaks out and does what everyone [even Rick] thought what the adults knew should of been done but couldn't bring themselves to do - kill him. He doesn't tell anyone, although Morgan has his suspicions. Carl eventually confesses to Rick.

TV Carl also got a toned down version of the whole Shane thing. In the comic he straight up kills Shane, not just as a walker.

10. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

I will say though that TV Carl is probably going to show shades of the comic-counterpart going forward... just in a more controlled manner. At the end of S3 and end of S4 we saw Carl nearly give in the world but good things brought him back, but not this time. I think this time there won't be no farming, no miraculous Judith survival, no Alexandria and settling down making him "soft" - this time nothing is bringing him out and he'll become what the world wants him to be, not what his Father wants him to be.

11. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

In the comics also though, he did come back around.

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Who knows? By the end of this discussion, you might just be inspired to run out to the store to buy the first couple of paperbacks. :p

13. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

I'd say both sides of him have progressed. On the other hand, we saw what Carl does to people when he has a shovel. I haven't read the most recent issues though.

14. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I was talking about those, lol.

15. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Ah, I though you meant when you said "he came back around" that he's more chill when really he's more hardcore then ever.

16. Walker Caravan

I could see Comic Carl pulling off something like what Carol did to Terminus.

17. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

He is still hardcore, but the past issues he hasn't been the ice cold Carl that likes killing anymore.
    He did a really good job on complying his father's wishes though I never expected that after the issues before. He even seems to be understanding his father's views now.

18. Ron Lambert

Ron Lambert Member

carl in the comics - in my opinion is weak.

He want's the girl... is manipulated quite easily and is short sighted and cannot see the larger picture. Below average intelligence.

I doubt they are going to do it in the show- so its not really a spoiler, but they had some chick lick his eye hole in the comic. He became enamoured with her to the point of ludicrous.

19. BlackLightning

TV show Carl is a lot more thoughtful (both emotionally and intellectually) than his comic counterpart. He's also a really kind person. At this point of the story, comic Carl has no tact, he never does what he's told (or even asked) and is a budding sociopath.

Right now, comic Carl has mellowed out quite a bit but he's a lovesick teenager who is ignoring ALL of the warning signs.

I attribute the differences in TV Carl and Comic Carl to TV Rick, TV Lori and TV Shane who are all different than their comic counterparts. Namely, TV Rick (excluding season 3) is an outstanding father whereas Comic Rick looks like a fish out of water whenever he tries to parent. Yes, even now.

As far as Carl is concerned, Lydia is his first real love. And isn't he 15 years old?

20. Mello

Mello Member

Comic Carl is a stone cold mfk'er. He's impulsive and let's his emotions get in the way of things. But he's not a bad kid nor character. He's much more intense than TV show Carl. I would describe TV Carl just like how others are describing him; more intellectual, thoughtful, and kind.