Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What kind of laptop do you have?

Discussion in 'Creative Art' started by turbo6, Feb 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Stuff&Thangs

Stuff&Thangs Well-Known Member

I use someone else's Mac book... the only thing I know about it is that it works :)

2. Faelan Dixon

Faelan Dixon Member

A discontinued white macbook that's made of plastic.
    I still regret that i didn't buy a macbook pro which is made of better material.

3. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I use an Asus R500D. Used to have a Dell Inspiron 15R for design stuff too, but that wasn't much of a success after all..

4. TWD_fan

TWD_fan Member

Acer :)

I'm satisfied with it...

5. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have an Asus now, touchscreen one..

I used to only buy Toshiba, the Asus is a good brand..

6. shredorama

shredorama Member

I'm using my Asus laptop that I bought for work in 2010. Core i5, still running strong. I love it. 17" screen and a 10 key on the full size keyboard.

7. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Yeah. At first I was kind of skeptical because, compared to some other laptops, this one was very cheap. At the time I had a limited budget and needed a laptop that would hang on for a while because of school and photography. But the Asus turned out fine after all. It's not Apple quality (most students prefer that) but it works just fine.

8. Lau

Lau Member

I use a Sony VAIO S-Series.
    Core i5
    6 GB RAM
    700 GB Hard Drive
    Aaaaand...I have it two and a half years now. So it's perfect.

Toshiba and Asus are great brands, but I think my next computer (in some years) will be another VAIO, I'm a Sony fangirl :p

9. slyd00d

slyd00d Active Member

Samsung 13" Core i5, 4GB RAM laptop. It's super slim and sexy, got it for a few hundred dollars off sticker price too.

10. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

HP 630 Notebook PC ,64bit Processor,2GB Ram...enough for making music and playing games!!!

11. Der Großmann

Der Großmann New Member

it's a dell inspiron n5040

12. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

HP Pavilion dv5 entertainment notebook PC ~ great machine. 4gb ram, bought about 5 yrs ago for about $650

13. Shadow

Shadow Member

I'm going to buy the MSI GP70 2OD in 2 weeks.

14. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

I've had good results with MSi products. I bought an MSi Laptop About 5 years ago and it is still running strong. I use it for mobile Studio Recordings. Very reliable machine. When I don't use it for recording, it has an HDMI output so its hooked up to my HDTV.

15. Dreet

Dreet Well-Known Member

Personal: Macbook Pro (don't use that one for forum posting at all)
    Work: Acer desktop
    One I'm on now: HP laptop

16. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

Okay, so currently I have an ASUS X501A, Windows 10 OS w/4 GB HD running 64-bit and an Intel Core i3-3120M processor. It's about 4/5 years old now.

I'm in the market now for a new one. This one, it still works okay but the battery life has sorely decreased, I could just replace it but, I notice it's just not running like it used to, and heating up a little warmer now.

I am looking at the Dell Inspiron with an Intel Core i5, w/8 GB memory and 256 GB solid state drive.

Thoughts on that one?? I really have liked this Asus a LOT. I hated the tablet but I love the laptop. It's hardly ever frozen up on me and it had almost NO pre-installed software. It doesn't run things in the background either which I like.

I was wanting to maybe stay with Asus but this Dell seems to be the way to go. Was wondering if I could get some opinions on that.

17. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

Got a link/price to that laptop you are looking at? You are definitely right to go for SSD nowadays. Way faster and more reliable than a traditional HDD. What screen size are you looking for? I personally think you'll be good to go at a smaller 13.3" size at 1080p resolution. You won't really notice any dropoff in screen real estate at that resolution and it'll be sharper and lighter to carry. It should be possible depending on your budget. If you can, spring for an IPS screen, it'll definitely be worth it in terms of brightness and color quality.

With regards to bloat, any laptop you buy at the official Microsoft Store has a "signature edition" install which is mostly a naked Windows 10 install + I think a MS Office trial. I'm not sure if the signature editions are sold in other retailers like Best Buy. If you do buy a laptop with a bunch of crap on it, you can use this utility https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ .

What I've always done personally, is just delete the manufacturer installation and re-install windows myself. The install discs are actually freely downloadable from MS nowadays https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO Just make sure you download the same edition (home vs pro; x86 vs 64-bit) and it'll activate automatically - don't worry about entering the key. You also have to reinstall all the drivers from the product support page that don't get automatically recognized. This is the tougher route, but just letting you know the option is available.

I personally don't think brands matter that much. There's only like 3 or 4 primary notebook manufacturing companies in the world. Almost every brand (HP, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Samsung, even Apple) contracts out to build their laptops for them. Only Asus and maybe Lenovo, directly makes their own laptops.

By the way to answer the thread, I have a Macbook Pro Retina from a few years ago a few cheap windows laptops and a Toshiba Chromebook 2 FHD.

#37 No.Pantaloons, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

I do, I'm looking at it on Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...olid-state-drive-gray/5606400.p?skuId=5606400

I'm all good with a smaller screen, in fact I'd prefer it to this screen, this is over 15 and it is just much bigger than what I need. I really don't want to spend over the $500 - $600 range, this one falls right in there. I was sort of "cheaping" it up before and going in the $300 range, but now I've realized I need to go the higher dollar amount, cheaper doesn't always mean better. I want it to last.

I will check that link out on cleaning up the pre-installed software, that's one of my biggest qualms. My sister's laptop was riddled with it and I couldn't get it all off, even with what I knew of how to get around it, so that utility will come in handy.

I'll keep that in mind on the Microsoft reinstall. I think I could handle getting the drivers on individually, after seeing what the Dell comes with, if I get it. I'm using Avast now for virus software so I always get rid of whatever they put on there for that.

THANK YOU so much for all of the info you gave me, it was exactly what I was looking for. Sorry everyone, didn't mean to hijack the thread there but I felt maybe it was unnecessary to start a whole other laptop thread just for me :)

19. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

That one looks like a solid buy to me. Good screen, specs, and versatility too as a 2 in 1. Price is good as well.

20. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

Okay so...I had stuff going on and missed the sale, now it's back up to $799, ugh. Amazon has what looks to be the exact one, but it says 1 TB HDD drive, still and i5 processor. What are your thoughts on that? Their price is $519...

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-i5378-2...1483407174&sr=1-7&keywords=dell+inspiron&th=1

#40 WickedJenn, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017