Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What was Beth trying to do?

Discussion in 'Episode 508 - Coda' started by Emdier, Nov 30, 2014.

1. FISH

FISH Member

I think Beth was happy to simply leave until Dawns little speech about Noah that made Beth see that for all her speeches about the greater good and being civilized she simply say Noah as property and Beth knew Noah would never get out of there.
    That said i dont think she sacrificed herself, i honestly think she was trying to kill her and just did a poor job of it.

2. Zombombie

Zombombie Member

IMO, the hospital was a good cop bad cop split, Beth said she finally understood what dawn was about, which i interpreted as her figuring out Dawn was on the same level as the other bad cops and probably the cause of most of the bad things happening there, Dawn was the last of them and the last threat so killing her would in essence free everyone at the hospital.

3. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

^^^^ THAT makes alot of sense. I DO think that Beth miscalculated and only wanted to provoke Dawn with injury ...NOT try kill her.
    Beth probably thought that Dawn would not use the gun after she ( Beth ) had saved Dawn by pushing O'Donnell down the elevator shaft.

4. Puhnesq

Puhnesq Member

Maybe it's also that Beth knew that with Dawn gone, the hospital people would be willing to join Rick and the others. So she figured if I try to kill her I might succeed, if not **** it I'll die and she'll be gunned down anyway.

5. emperorzorn

emperorzorn New Member

Well, Beth picked up the scissors before the negotiation.
    So she already made up her mind about killing Dawn before that.

Something made her realize that Dawn is dangerous to the survivors.

6. dontusethezword

Everyone knows hitting anything with your nondominant is a solid -4 penalty to your dice roll.

Seriously though, I think it was a spur of the moment thing, as Beth would know she couldn't kill Dawn with a pair of tiny scissors if she was thinking clearly. It was Dawn's line that pushed her over the edge, like many others have already commented.

7. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

It strikes me that there is a parallel between what Beth did and John Brown's seizure of the federal armory at Harper's Ferry. Both quixotic failures that led to their deaths but ultimately produced positive results.

8. darkrosenberg

darkrosenberg Member

I almost feel like the writers wanted to make a main character sacrifice but didn't want to kill someone who was a fan favorite. Beth was a part of the group and loved but nobody was going to be too upset by her being gone. I feel like the show is kind of losing its teeth. I don't want to see my favorite characters get killed but I want it to stay exciting and somewhat real. That's what's made this show so thrilling, doing things that are unexpected and not popular.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

That's a good point. But that's also the reason she should have just jabbed the scissors in her neck instead of trying to cross her arm to the other side and aim for the heart.

Plus those scissors were so tiny, they almost look like nail cutting scissors. How could she expect that they would do any damage, especially through the clothes? I posted this photo on another thread yesterday (maybe this one? can't remember) Anyway, just look at the scissors, they probably only went in a centimeter or so, if Daryl hadn't shot her Dawn would only have a slight nick.

She just didn't think it through, she acted on instinct. Or maybe like Kinney said, it was just overconfidence. In any case, it a good thing that move didn't turn out to be a shootout with most of them dead.

[​IMG]

10. Blade

Blade Member

^ I wonder if they're the same scissors she had at the end of Slabtown?

When Beth first went up to Dawn I thought she was gonna hit her like Dawn had hit her in Slabtown ,But then I remembered she'd taken the scissors

11. Wesker

Wesker Member

Beth said something to the effect of " I see now"...Beth knew that Dawn's "wards" were never allowed to leave. She knew that Dawn and crew would come looking for her at some point thus endangering the group. She knew it because of Dawn's saying "They always come back" and her insistence of Noah staying behind. Thats my two cents anyway.

12. Kingston50

Kingston50 Well-Known Member

All I have to say is that Noah must have did personal favors for Dawn if she wanted him back. Maybe gave her personal massages, back rubs, sex who knows? She didn't need Noah back with her at all.

13. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

14. Darylette

Darylette Member

Who cares why? She's dead and that's all that matters! *happy dance*

15. Sildee

Sildee Member

A storm approaches...

16. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

That was my thinking going into the MSF. I will take it any way I can get it.

17. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Rick didn't talk a bit more before surrendering Noah. Like saying, "We've all got guns, and so do you. A LOT of us are going to die here. I know you want that, but how about you cops back there? Do you all want to die for this kid?

Her rule might have been over then and there, and Beth could have lived. As it is, Beth was the one that started it.

18. Nightslayer

Nightslayer New Member

Pretty powerful scene! It was so heartbreaking seeing Rick take Beth in his arms and give a loving kiss on her head, she was essentially in the most loving/safe place at that moment with all her friends... and then BAM! She ends up dead :(

My two cents: Beth acted out of pure rage. She completely lost it when the manipulative Dawn said she knew Noah would come back. The scissors was supposed to be used in cases where the deal went bad but Beth ended up using it for a totally different purpose. I agree with some posts here that we do the most irrational things in times of rage. Consequences be damned!

But on the other hand Beth could also have thought that if Dawn is changing the terms now then that meant Dawn would kill them all the moment Rick's group turned around. So she essentially saved everyone by getting rid of Dawn.

At the end of the day if there ever were a ZA then we must be prepared for loved ones to die. As much as it hurts, Beth is gone... forever...

EDIT: It was also pretty sad seeing Emily/Norman/Lauren getting emotional on Talking Dead. The show is so much more powerful considering the cast is like real family off-screen.

#98 Nightslayer, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  19. TheNewSeeker

TheNewSeeker New Member

Here is my 2 cents. Beth was wanted to inflict some pain on Dawn. She may have felt like she may have had Dawn's respect. Honestly I think if was a Instinct move on Dawn's part if you'll notice her face after that scene. She didn't mean to do it. I don't like that Beth is dead however it happened. I really hope Beth gets her own Action Figure. She deserves one!

20. Dearell68

Dearell68 New Member

I know I'm late but yea even the studio audience was kinda quiet. She was doing that nervous laugh to keep from totally breaking down.