Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

What would you have done if YOU were Rick

Discussion in 'Episode 207 - Pretty Much Dead Already' started by Casca910, Dec 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

What would you have done if YOU were Rick and Shane was trying to let the walkers out of the barn?
    Remember these facts if the walkers are let out,
    The ammo supply they have is finite.
    There is a big risk someone could get bitten.
    There is a risk of a friendly fire incident
    Hershal may kick you off the farm, or try to.
    You are the ONLY one controlling the male walker.
    Shane is putting Lori and Carl at risk to make a point and get his way.

I would've considered shooting the leashed walker and then Shane before he got the door open.

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I can't see Rick doing anything differently.

Rick was controlling a walker while Shane was breaking the walkers in the barn loose. He couldn't drop the pole and stop Shane because the walker would be free and start biting everybody.

Rick shouted for Hershel to take the pole, but Hershel was in shock over Shane killing his walker neighbor.

Rick couldn't shoot the walker, because dropping his right hand (strong hand in shooting terminology) for his gun is a loss of control on the pole, allowing the walker to break free and bite him or someone else.

The only thing Rick could do was plead for Shane to stop.

3. EternalWreckage

EternalWreckage Active Member

Shane didn't go about the walkers in the barn the right away, but everyone in the group wanted them gone, even Rick.

4. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I do think that that was a waste of finite bullets *if* there was any other way. Maybe if Hershel would agree to fish them up by the neck, and pull all their teeth out, but then I don't see how he could even attempt something like that without losing his fingers.

5. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Oh and if I were Rick, I honestly don't see how I could have done something differently if I was stuck with a pole in my hand attached to an excited Zombie.

6. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Shoot the zombie's knee caps to make him fall, then one over Shane's head to make him stop. If he doesn't... But as I said in the Shane thread, if I were Dale, Shane would not have made it out of the woods in the first place.

7. nikvoodoo

nikvoodoo New Member

Knee capping a zombie wouldn't work at all. Rick's seen (and very recently brought up) the half lady zombie from episode one. Shooting a zombie in the knee cap will just make it angry.....you wouldn't like them when they're angry......

Rick had no options until Shane popped the zombie on a stick. Even when that happened the only real option was take care of the threat. Shane had already done enough damage that the group had to defend themselves.

8. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

I'm not sure what else he could've done as he was holding onto the walker - except maybe to tell Carl to get himself back to the house (actually I think Lori should've sent him back as soon as they saw the walkers, esp once Shane started shooting). Tricky one - the whole scene was brilliantly set out as no one else would want to hold the pole so he was stuck holding it. Possibly the only one physically capable to stop Shane (apart from Rick) is Daryl but he's injured and he had his gun trained on the Rick's walker. Well T-Dog as well I suppose but he doesn't seem to do much at the best of times.

9. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Nik, sure it would. The half lady zombie is a good example. Like any human, if you destroy the structure, they can't use it. The neighbor walker, like bicycle girl, would have been a crawling zombie then, and given Rick enough time to step away from it. It's not going to catch anyone by crawling. Hypothetically of course. I've never actually tried this on a real zombie. ;)

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Bingo. Rick and Shane both wanted the walkers gone, they just both went about it in different ways. Rick was trying to calmly go along and talk Hershel into putting them down, while Shane just wanted to burst in and get his gun off. Once the door was open Rick had no choice. His plan could no longer work, so he had to go along with it. Or at least let the others take them out. Sophia was his responsibility.

11. Flashpoint

Flashpoint New Member

I would of shot Shane, It was unnecessary to open the barn, they were fine inside, they were not going to get out. It is also Hershel's property, It's no ones business to be snooping round his property and doing what they want.

12. nikvoodoo

nikvoodoo New Member

Well let me say as someone who HAS tried it on a zombie......or maybe it was a homeless guy in a dark alley late at night while high on meth.......I get the two confused sometimes......

Ok. stupid joke over.

From all the experiences they've had I doubt attempting to wound a zombie to the point it can't give chase effectively is not something they'd consider. I can understand why you'd think it's a viable option, I just don't think that's something that would immediately pop into someone's head. Especially after Shane just gave a demonstration of the futility of shooting zombies anywhere but in the head...

13. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

jacobmarley is right. if the walker has a broken hip, it can't walk and must crawl, the leg structure will not support it.

I rewatched the scene last night. There was at least one time as Shane was running to the barn that Rick could have shot the walker... but I think, if Rick missed, it would have put the 17ish year old at risk.
    Still, I would've really considered it.

14. Lucky

Lucky Member

The problem was Rick was controlling that Walker, so there wasn't much he could do. If he'd been free, I think he would have tried to stop Shane from opening the barn. That's what I would have done.

15. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I agree. What a waste of bullets on contained zombies when there was plenty of menacing ones out in the wild? Plus whether people like it or not, that was Hershels land and if he wanted to keep pet zombies on the barn that was his business. If they weren't comfortable with it, they had the right to decide to leave.

16. AVC

AVC Member

Hershels land sure. But that doesn't mean he can keeps zeds in there.

At the end of the day whats left of the human race is at war with the zombies. Hershel is not only containing a source of the virus in there, but an ambulant source. The zombies are enemy and need to be wiped out.

The zombies don't need rest, they have 24 hours a day to claw at the walls, or crash against them. Eventually they are going to break out.

17. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

But it wasn't their right to do so. His land, his pets. Just like if the situation was reverse, and they owned the land, no guests that out number them with guns would have the right to force them against their will to keep zombies alive. The only right they had at that point was the right to leave and save their bullets for the ones that can get them in the wild.
    True, but that would be Hershels own problem and lesson to learn as the guests could decide to leave the unsafe heaven.

18. nikvoodoo

nikvoodoo New Member

Disagree. Have you seen the survivors miss and hit the zombies in the leg? Yes. Did it drop them? No. They kept coming. That's the trademark of the shamblers in zombie lore: Legs don't work right, but they keep coming despite walking despite a broken ankle etc etc.

Yes it does. It's his land. His Rules. Who are they to tell them what he can and cannot do on his own property. If he wanted to, he could have turned Shane and Rick away when Otis brought Carl. It would be his right.

If they want to stay there, they follow his rules or leave. Sure they have their guns stowed but it's not like they are a mile away and up a tree. They have the one rifle for guard duty, the rest are in the trailer. As long as someone's on duty (and awake) that's enough.

19. Al Davis is back

Another option that Rick could have done is push his walker toward Shane while Shane was shooting the female walker. This was a missed window of opportunity. Rick could have even waited until Shane started to move toward the barn door. Shane would have at least had to stop temporarily to get out of the way of the walker, and Shane would hopefully not shoot the walker for fear of hitting Rick or the people behind him (ricochet). Rick would have "won" and forced Shane to stand down.

Granted, Shane probably would side step and take a better angle to shoot the walker (training and risk be damned), but it would also free Rick to get between Shane and the barn door. I understand most people would not want to push a walker toward an angry, pistol firing friend AND then be forced to stand between him and a barn full of flesh eaters.

This being said it might have diffused the situation had Rick decided to go on the offensive, not been on preserve mode, and took charge of a rapidly deteriorating situation. He was trained for overcoming hostile situations at the academy right? Instead he stood there screaming which was pretty useless.

Assuming Shane fires a head shot in the male walker. He then has to make another decision. Do I go through Rick to get to the barn or do I just let it go. Shane might have retreated and left the camp. Then again, he might have just shot Rick and opened the barn. I still don't think he would have shot Rick in that situation.

Thought I'd throw this scenario out there for kicks and giggles. :shining:
    FWIW: I realize he shot the female walker with the people behind him. A cardinal sin for a safety and weapons expert.

20. k260

k260 New Member

Pop the zombie then shane. dude is insane.