Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Who Leaves Their Sister Knowing She's Alive?

Discussion in 'Episode 503 - Four Walls and a Roof' started by FutureApocalyps, Nov 3, 2014.

1. silentstar24

silentstar24 Member

I'm really tired of people behaving like just because Maggie hasn't expressed interest in looking for Beth that she must not care or be affected from knowing Beth is somewhere out there. But where?? No one knows where Beth is. Even if she wanted to look, they wouldn't know where to search. So, I think it's practical for Maggie not to object when Abraham asked her and Glenn to come with him to Washington in exchange for helping to get rid of the Termites. If she insisted they stay to find Beth, who knows how long and fruitless the search would be considering at the time they had no leads about any possible places Beth was kidnapped to. No one expected Darryl would see the car with the white cross again and follow it once more. I mean, if you compare the season two search for Sophia that Rick did, they basically got nowhere with that for the whole search duration until it was too late and Sophia was already a walker. Of course now that Darryl came back and likely knows where Beth is, then they can actually pinpoint a location to save her.

#21 silentstar24, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. Callysta

Callysta Active Member

And yet Maggie spent all that time and effort looking for Glenn and never even mentions Beth.

Is not mentioning someone proof that the person hasn't thought of and doesn't care for someone? If it is, Maggie cares for Glenn more and easily accepted her sister's loss.

As much as i love my husband and would gladly die for him, i would Not be so cavalier about my sister's loss.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Do you think Rick would have went to D.C. if Carl was kidnapped? I don't. Maggie should have tried to convince others to look for Beth. She didn't. Didn't even try. She went ape over Glenn though. Maggie's a narcissist. She's interested in herself and what she wants before all else.

4. Morgotha

I don't think the comparison is a good one. Merle was a tough mean man who cut off his own hand to get out of where the group left him, and ***he left on his own volition***. Merle could have gone back to where the group was, but CHOSE not to, as far as anyone could tell. Daryl knew this. Beth was KIDNAPPED.

There's a big difference between going to look for someone who left you and doesn't want to be found and going and looking for someone who was snatched away.

Maggie should have tried to look for Beth.

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Maggie didn't know where Beth was. They found out she was in Atlanta after Abe's group left. What can you do? Any direction you go in could be the direction toward or away from Beth.

6. Morgotha

Would Rick have left to Washington if Carl was gone? Yes or no?

Maggie could have started out where Daryl last saw her and looked down the road, or examined where they were for clues, done *something*. Doing NOTHING to look for your sister? Pathetic.

7. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

Every character is different - why are you trying to lump Rick with Maggie? Two totally different people.

Let's not forget that from the beginning of 5X01 to now, it's been, what? A week tops? And in that time the group was captured by the termites, only to escape, but then be hunted by them at the church. So what should Maggie have done? Go out to search for Beth in the middle of the night so she could get whacked by the hunters like Bob?

D.C. was a choice. Save humanity or save your sister? The group didn't know Eugene was lying. I'd say the life of millions is more important then the life of one person - even if they're your sibling. A tough pill to swallow for us, but in that world that's how it is.

8. Neuropyramidal

Of course he wouldn't have left, because Rick and Carl are the core stars of the show lmao. That doesn't make their decisions realistic. They'd go after each other because the plot demands it. They are the central stars the show revolves around. Means nothing in this argument .

I agree the writers should have given Maggie more dialogue that showed her concern for Beth, but dialogue and plan are two different discussions. People forget that they live in a world were they don't know where their next meal is coming up, don't know if they'll be able to find gas, or a car that can reliably work for more than 10 miles, or if they'll be surrounded by corpses that want to eat them 5 minutes from now. They don't live in our luxurious world lol. Beth was kidnapped before Daryl even found the train tracks. Could be 25 miles from where they are now? 50? 75? We don't know. She was kidnapped by car, not by people on foot. She could be anywhere. She could be realistically 100 miles or more in any direction from her kidnapping point. That's like 10 times the state of Rhode Island.

Yes, her dialogue should have shown more concern, and should have shown her more torn about her decision to travel or not. But dialogue and the feasibility of reality are two different things, when you don't even know where your next meal is coming from.

9. Neuropyramidal

Absolutely.

Also, its not a search she could conduct on her own [a few thousand square miles of ZA land isn't a solo exploration], so she'd have to bring a group with her. That puts other lives at increased Risk, when they are focusing on a blind search rather than finding fortified shelter. Once they discovered Beth's location, the dynamics changed. But when Beth could be in any direction? Sometimes you have to be realistic.

#29 Neuropyramidal, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  10. Morgotha

Because at this point Rick is the ethical center of the group. If you think Maggie should have shrugged her shoulders and written Beth off and went to Washington, fine. I don't think that's very realistic. Also, Maggie agreed to go to Washington to keep Abe from leaving during the night and fighting with Rick. It's not her burning passion to save the world.

11. Morgotha

So I'm forgetting they live in a dangerous world when I suggest she go look for Beth near where Beth was snatched, but you are NOT forgetting the exact same thing when you suggest they blindly try and get to Washington D.C. - several states away - and they don't know where IN Washington they are going? To quote Neuropyramidal, "Lmao"!

The point on finding Beth is that Daryl was with Maggie, and could have told her where Beth was when she got snatched. Also which way they were headed. Given they were at the end of a rural road in a stocked house, it was obviously a honey pot the kidnappers used and not a random pickup, so one could expect that even if they didn't come back, there are probably other similar places around that one could look for and wait at.

Finally, "danger" applies just as much to the kidnappers as to you. One wouldn't expect that they started in California and drove to rural Georgia to look for a victim. It's reasonably certain they're nearby as well.

Nope, she should have tried looking.

12. Neuropyramidal

Not really realistic.

13. Neuropyramidal

Ethical center doesn't mean always ethically right. That's the point of the show. Rick's position evolves and is very fallible.

14. Esse

Esse Member

I disagree.

The question was: can a person that you lost track of be found in this world when you don't even know where to look?

No matter if this person left on his/her own volition or if he/she has been kidnapped. If you want to find him/her you need to know where to start looking. The fact that she was kidnapped made her case even more desperate and hopeless, because chances are that if someone kidnap you it isn't for something good.

In our world when a person go missing after a certain amount of time we start searching for a body. In a world like theirs the chances for an happy ending are even less. That's why Daryl was ready to go to DC too. No point in wandering aimlessly in the woods. It was pure 'luck' that made him be out there in time to see the cross car.

And btw, as far as Daryl knew when he lost his tracks, Merle could have been hiding in one of those buildings not so far from them, suffering and bleeding/too weak to move, trying to regain strenght before going back to the group. There was no indication that Merle didn't want to be found/wasn't going to go back - still Daryl left the camp with the others the day after.

#34 Esse, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  15. DietWater

As has been said many times, most people can agree that Maggie could have used a line or two to show more concern about Beth, but going on a wild goose chase to find her? That's not very smart.

For someone who's advocating being realistic, you're expecting Maggie to do the complete opposite. Seems to me like you just want her to base all her decisions off raw emotion, and not logic.

Also that decision was made in the now. Abe leaves with Eugene and Rosita, that's less manpower to fight the hunters with. No one can find Beth if they're all dead and hunter meat.

16. Morgotha

As opposed to looking for vehicles, food and water while avoiding walkers and bandit groups along the Six Hundred Forty Mile journey from Atlanta to Washington D.C.? To find a place you don't have an address to either?

Hmmm....

17. Morgotha

Absolutely. You don't need to be 100% right to know when someone else is WRONG though.

18. DietWater

"After 72 hours, you're not looking for a girl, but a body."

At least they have a goal that was realistic (assuming Eugene actually knew the cure).

19. Morgotha

I disagree. It's not like they'd have NO idea where to look, and it's not like you'd expect these kidnappers to only be making this ONE kidnapping, given how it happened. The group's first action could have been to stake out a couple of major interchanges in that area and wait for someone to go by. There's SOMETHING they could have done.

On Merle, Daryl said something like "he's tough", I don't think Daryl thought merle was off dying somewhere, if he did, I think he would have looked harder. I think he thought Merle left. I'm open to other opinions though if you can make a case that Daryl thought he was dying somewhere and decided just to leave him to die after going all that way to find him.

20. Morgotha

How is it more realistic to find a facility in Washington they don't know the location of than of finding Beth that they don't know the location of? And unless they think she was kidnapped by more cannibals (unlikely) I don't know why in the ZA they'd think she was dead.