Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Who was Jenner broadcasting to?

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - TS-19' started by Walker Bait, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Did it ever specifically say? I assumed it was Washington, but this is a HUGE possible plot hook that seems to have been completely swept under the rug during the first half of the second season. Everyone is wondering what Jenner whispered to Rick, but to me the more important question was if Jenner was so certain this was humanity's "extinction event" then why was he still broadcasting from the CDC?

2. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

He was recording and broadcasting. Recording for scientific reasons and broadcasting for the same. As far as he knew he was broadcasting in the dark. That is to say he had no idea if anybody was listening, but was doing so in hopes that they could hear him even if they couldn't reply.

To answer your question though... Jenner was broadcasting, in my opinion, out of duty, country, honor, pride, last will and testament, leaving messages for the aliens who come after, heck just because he felt the need to talk to somebody.

I would probably do the same with the job he had and the tools at his disposal. He has to try to pass information even if he has no idea if it's going anywhere.

#2 Duzy, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I thought Jenner was recording; he was keeping a recorded journal of his attempts to find a cure.

The day he lost the last samples of walker tissue, he finally gave up: Jenner's wife died for nothing, his colleagues either committed suicide or ran off; he hadn't heard from anyone outside the CDC in weeks, no one is ever going to see his journal.

4. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

After I posted I was thinking... Wait, he was only recording. Yea, he was only recording, but like I said it was out of
    duty, country, honor, pride, last will and testament, leaving messages for the aliens who come after, heck just because he felt the need to talk to somebody.

5. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Ya, he was only recording, oddly enough he knew he was about to blow up along with his recordings. I'm guessing he just wanted someone to talk with.

6. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Hard telling where the videos were stored, but I'm sure its safe to assume somewhere on site. So, yea, he was gonna blow them up too. I agree 100% that he just needed to talk to "somebody" and that was the best he could do.

7. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

There is no shame in my game, I would have done it too if I was in his shoes...they would have found tapes with me arguing with my self lol

8. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

For real! I wonder if that is why it was easy for him to let them in. Ya know, hadn't seen anybody for some time and felt like he didn't want to blow up alone. :Chainsaw:

9. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I thought Jenner let Rick's group into the CDC so he could use one of them as a guniea pig. Too bad they left Jim under a tree, huh?

10. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

Ya, probably a little of both.

11. Damrod

Damrod Member

Maybe he was broadcasting to someone like Washington DC, but maybe they were not responding just in case he got overrun or that way when he stopped transmitting, they would know that he was gone/auto destruct. They also might have been recording or the recordings were going off site for future use.

12. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I seem to recall Jenner saying something along the lines of "I don't even know if you're listening to me anymore". Am I imagining that? I thought he was always broadcasting to the "higher ups" in their bunkers, but he just didn't know who they were or if they were still alive.

Anyway.....who or what he was talking to doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. It was just a way to fill in some exposition and introduce his character.

13. turbo6

turbo6 Member

The more I reflect on this episode, the more enigmatic it seems.

Aside from what Jenner said to Rick, I don't think we'll get much more insight into some of the details of the "virus" and/or condition of the world that the doctor began to speak of.

Things like how fast the virus spread, who has pinpointed a cure, where it came from....I doubt that will really be touched upon again. If anything I think a character like Jenner was used to illustrate how this epidemic basically just happened, baffled everyone and killed everyone with any sort of clue as to how it occurred. Now we are basically left with a bunch of unanswered questions while everyone just tries to survive.....

14. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on that.

He was probably broadcasting for some higher ups or even some big research facilities around the world. I think that he wasn't the only one doing recordings. There must be other people like him.

15. Walkers Ate Me

Interesting thought. If Jenner needed another walker to experiment on, why didn't he go outside and find one? Or was there something extra special about his wife's transformation? I know he was distraught over losing those samples.

16. Damrod

Damrod Member

Going outside alone would have been suicide and he might not be able to get back in. His wife might have been the last person alive with him and volunteered to do the last test possible, so when the samples were lost, then it ended for him. Maybe all the centers doing research were linked together so they could quickly compare notes, but he had to watch the scientists from the other countries fall apart, so he lost faith. I am sure that the recordings were for someone else, but who we will never know.

17. Writer

Writer Member

I think during the initial stages of whatever caused the body to reanimate, he was broadcasting to others like him, someone searching for answers as their whole world fell apart. Over time, each of those institutions were compromised either by walkers or simply humanity leaving the scientists.

When Rick and company join him, I think that he was simply continuing to do what he always did with HOPE that the others weren't compromised. It was a safe-guard against madness. When Rick and company arrived, he finally realized the reality. A team as he was obviously part of could not exist. As to why he was recording, well, the hope that others, after finding the recordings would attempt to research for a cure (no, I don't think there is one).

18. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

The world went to hell. Jenner was simply recording his attempts at finding a cure. He needed something to do/someone to talk to. His whole life abandoned him (his wife, his colleagues, etc.)... all of it. That's why he blew up the CDC -- he lost all hope.

19. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

^ That certainly makes sense, but there were a few lines of dialogue that point to the fact that it was more than just recording and "someone to talk to" for his personal needs. At one time or another there were people watching his broadcast, possibly a live feed, he just didn't know who they were, where they were, or if they were still there. Even though he had been there alone for awhile, he was still following protocol.

20. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with this. but the cdc explosion could not be stopped regardless.