Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Who will die?

Discussion in 'Episode 313 - Arrow on the Doorpost' started by dogfighter, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MainManMerle

MainManMerle Member

I disagree. I think there is more they can do with Merle than any other character on the show at this time. He could become a good Guy and productive group member, he could split from the group and become a villain, he could stay with the group and cause inner conflict like Shane used to. Or he could remain a wild card. You don't know if he will help someone or kill them. There is a lot that can be done with him. And no one is safe besides Rick perhaps. Kirkman doesn't give a damn he will kill off whoever he wants.

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Agreed, I think that he can be used to explore Daryls character more. Which I KNOW there is a big fan base who would enjoy that.

3. johnfrosty

johnfrosty New Member

I think Ben and Allen will be back with Rick and the gang. I think Andrea will sway them.

4. miltk

miltk Member

hershel

merle takes over for shane

they keep the daryl/carol dynamic

they don't need andrea anymore. she either dies or stays in woodbury

#44 miltk, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. MainManMerle

MainManMerle Member

But Hershel is taking Dale's place.

6. Dead man walking

I agree - there is no sense in killing off Daryl when there isn't any character fit to fill the boots. They want to keep ratings and keep the show a success - killing off main characters is daft and pointless. Peripheral characters or margin 'main' characters people don't mind but if Rick went already or Daryl - I think that would be a pretty strange scenario and plain idiocy. Unless they demand more salary that is..

7. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Tyreese.

8. Dead man walking

Merle is Merle, he would never become a good guy unless they gave him a frontal labotomy - impossible. leopards don't change their spots. He's crazy, selfish and untrustworthy and we he will be no matter who's gang he is in. More you can do with him than any other on the show - what have you been drinking? He's one dimensional and served his purpose in the story, much like Shane - hence his end of participation. Like I said, not much new you can do with him only follow the same pattern and that's a bit tedious. Nope, have Daryl cap his ass to save the others after he screws them all over and have done with it.

And actually as far as I understand no one is safe except Carl, not even Rick (although it's far too early yet depending on how many seasons they plan to get through).

9. Dead man walking

Nah, with Merle around daryl reverts back into his shell and Merle becomes the dominant one. Daryl becomes more withdrawn and a bit wimpy with his big brother around (just look at his moping in the cell calling it a 'tomb' - yet he has always been optimistic - Merle has a profound negative effect on Daryl. Merle 'dumbs down' his brother and that's not healthy. Daryl's character will go backwards and then they might as well kill Daryl off. people want to see the Daryl that has evolved to what he is now not the Daryl in the shadow of his brother.

Plus we got a hint when Rick told Daryl that merle will be his responsibility. And that will carry for as long as Merle is there - as soon as Merle screws them, Dary will have to deal with him and I don't think Rick had in mind just a 'stiff talk'.

10. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's basically the nuts & bolts of it all..

11. Dead man walking

Why thank you - I doff my cap to the lady!:zombies_blush:

12. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

It would be kind of crazy if no one dies.

13. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

I'd probably be kind of pissed off, a death will add more emotion to the finale.

14. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

They killed off Lori, isnt that enough?

15. Donnnn

Donnnn Well-Known Member

Na because I will need a death to stick on my mind throughout the break last year it was Shane. Lori's death happened too long ago, I'm over it now.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Sure, but I could see Daryl "standing up" to his brother more and more and continuing evolving, even beyond his brothers influence. I also think they are going to use Merle to delve deeper into Daryls back story. I'm sure the more logical route is pit them together and scrap Merle.. but I don't think that's their plans with him. I think they hav2e bigger idea involving Merle, or else why even bother bringing him back 2 seasons later?

17. Dead man walking

Bringing him back was an interesting little sideshow, (they always bring conclusions to everything - for example Sophia - they could have left it that we never found out what happened to her, but they brought closure instead, that will be the same between Daryl/ Merle) but in all reality he can't serve any long term purpose. He can't evolve, he wouldn't want to either, he enjoys being the prat he is. The bigger idea you talk of - well I'm hoping that's Daryl offing Merle to save the group somehow. That will show Daryl has gone past sticking up for his brother 'just because he's blood' to seeing him for what he really is and understanding that the survival of the group is more important. So sacrifing Merle to a herd of walkers to save the rest would be a cool way for Merle to go. I can dream at least, it would be ideal in my TWD universe.

18. MainManMerle

MainManMerle Member

There is a list of people to take Daryl's place. I love his character and I am a fan of Reedus. But he is just playing Rick's right hand man. There are plenty of characters that could fill that role. Tyrese, Micchone, Glenn, perhaps even Andrea. Anyone who is an able bodied and god combatant that can help Rick out with his leadership role. Daryl is actually in Tyrese's position in the comics from what I understand. And again, Kirkman does not care. Daryl will be killed off eventually like every other character. It's just a matter of time. It will be hard to watch but I don't know any one who would just stop watching if it happened.

Merle and Daryl come from the same place. Who is to say that Merle can't possibly change? He is loyal to one person. His brother. He has no reason to betray anyone in the group while his brother is around. And he is not one dimensional. He is actually more developed than Daryl is. You only say these things because you don't like the character. Which is just a compliment to the character. There are different places they can take his character. He could be an ongoing villain, change to an anti hero, wild card, he could become a valued member of the group like his brother has. He could fill the same role Shane did, which I think would make scenes with the group more interesting to watch. You can't say any of that about any of the other characters. Daryl is Rick's right hand man... and that is it. I haven't been drinking anything, I just don't blindly hate Merle's character. If you do that is cool, and you clearly do hate the character. But I think it is crazy to write off everything Rooker and the writing team have done with him because of that.

No he doesn't. In the EP where Daryl sided with Merle only to then tell his brother off and rejoin the group is proof of that. There is no reason and no indication of him reverting. That was done in the EP to show how Daryl has grown as a character. Merle actually provides more insight into Daryl's past and adds to his depth.

19. Claymore

Claymore Member

Very well put! I wish I could of phrased it that well myself.

20. Dead man walking

Ha ha, actually no there isn't a 'list' of people - there is no one (yet) who could fill Daryl's boots - it would take a long time (3 seasons) before any new character is at the same position, so no, doesn't work. Simply there is no character development yet on the newbies.

Nope, Merle can't change. That's his character. Why would he change? I don't hate the character at all, I believe he has brought some great moment s into TWD, point is I'm being realistic about how far he can go without being tedious or becoming the constant pain in the ass, then it just becomes like a joke - and we are almost at that level. How many times is Rick going to pistoll whip him unconscious 8it's twice now), it becomes too silly after a while. He's a hill billy, pure and simple. A bigot. He only looks out for himself, therefore he cannot and will not change. Plus if he did, he wouldn't have the same interest if he became a nice guy. And sorry, but in reality, peiople don't change so drastically, unless over say 5-10 years. But not in some 'weeks' of the TWD episodes. So again, no - doesn't work.

Er, no. He almost start to cry when Merle ripped the shirt from his back. He left at that moment mostly because Merle brought back bad memories, plus he knew Merle would follow him and not stay out there on his own. It was quite clear that Merle being around makes Daryl revert to little brother. Thats' why I'm hoping Daryl is the one to 'off him' and finally step out of his brother's shadow.

#60 Dead man walking, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013